Avon Storm 2 Ultra Wear Report

Byron

STOC #
Well I mounted this set up around the first of March. The tires have over 5,000 miles on them but probably not more than 6,000. I have been really impressed with the handling on these tires. I liked the Storms but was only getting 5 - 6K out of them and I like these better. :D They were supposed to have improved mileage and I may squeeze a few more miles out of them before they get changed. I'm just going to have to take it a little easier in the twisties as the wear bars are coming into play on the sides but the centers still have a little life left. They are wearing very even as far as I am concerned, no noticeable cupping and any uneven wear can be attributed to feeling better making left turns than making right turns.

After riding on them for a few days after mounting I was down to the "Storm" embedded in the rear tire and figured that was as far over as I would probably go. Well I proved myself wrong and have actually worn off all the TWI markings on the rear but not the front. The front I'm just to the "Storm" labels. Mind you I had not been dragging any hard parts at all during my riding but I do get it leaned over a bit from time to time. I ride more of a pace where I don't have to break before going into the turn and will accelerate out when I want to pick up the pace.

I don't think I'll get to the desired 8,000 miles I was looking for but I already have a second set of of Storm 2 Ultra's standing by.

Attachments

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am on my first ste of Ultra 2's and have maybe 3500 miles on them and they still look very good. They handle great. I will be changing mine out on June 27th to be ready for a 4-5k mile trip to Utah and back. I will be installing the $95 pair of Ultra 2's from Bike Bandit. There will be a lot of slab on that trip so I will see how they hold up to that.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
BYRON - Did you notice a 'band' in the middle of the rear tire? I've about wore out my first set and I saw a very visible band (material difference I guess) in the middle of the rear.
It's something you can see on all the dual compound tires.. the B023 and PR2s have them as well. I agree, it's just the two materials/compounds.

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Byron - I need to send you my take-offs. I gotta admit I do tend to leave some unused tread on the shoulders... :eek::

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Thanks for the report, Byron. I've been running the "old" STorms on my 1100 and was also lucky enough to get in on the $95 set. It will be interesting to see how the two compare.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
BYRON - Did you notice a 'band' in the middle of the rear tire? I've about wore out my first set and I saw a very visible band (material difference I guess) in the middle of the rear.
The next to the last attachment is a head on shot of the rear tire and I haven't noticed a band showing yet.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Has anyone done any twisties in the rain on these? Do they stick? How are they on the slab in rain?

I was thinking about these but never saw any real mileage reports on a heavy bike out of them. I'll get 12-13k from my PR2's, and they are pretty sticky too in the rain ;)

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I just this Saturday put on a set of the new Storm 2's on my VFR. Hope they last as long as the Storm I rear I had (6436 miles). To give a frame of reference, the Sportec M-1 rear that was on the bike when I bought it got only 3400 miles (had the mileage at mounting supplied by seller)!

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Thanks, Byron. Is good to know, I have just put my first set on the Connie. I had the front on this weekend and liked it a lot. I got home with the stock '021 rear, but it had the white stripe on it:) I might have cut it just a hair thin...as it were.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the Ultra is anything like the Av55/AV56 that came before it is a superb wet and dry tire so I am watching with interest how the Ultra 2s do. I could never get more than 7200 miles out of a Storm rear and most were done by 6000.

If the Bridgestone BT023 does not provide significantly better mileage than the Storms did I'll go back to Avon when these 023s are done. The BT023 handles and feels like Storms do but only Avon offers a road hazard warranty and I used it once for a new rear tire.

BTW, the Storm AV56 was a little narrower from shoulder to shoulder than Pilot Road 2s or the BT023s. I was used to seeing chicken strips like yours on Storms then changed to a set of PR2s and the same riding style left strips about 5 mm wide if I recall correctly. The lean angles were the same but there was a little tire left on the PRs/023s.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
But then I ride like an old man ... :D
Yeah, that's right, an old man with lots of lean experience and a need for speed! :hotpepper Don't let UP fool you, he's lots of fun to ride with!

My first STorm2 rear lasted 6,303 miles and was changed out just a little early due to a bad flat condition on the ride home from CampSTOC. That tire was right at flat across the wear bars anyway. It saw Moonshine, OzarkSTOC and CampSTOC and had more slab time than any other STorm I've run. The dual compound was easily visible due to the color difference.

One of my original STorms only ran 3,700 miles before it was toast and below the wear bars. That tire was ridden through the winter months of October - March and very little slab time. The other made about 5000+ miles. I don't consider myself an aggressive rider and I would like to see more mileage out of my rear tires. The original front storm lasted over 12,000 miles which was reasonably good.

I'm currently running a STorm2 front and a PR2 rear. What I have noticed with this combo is that 1) the bike is not as "twitchy" and over reactive, especially on a straight line and 2) the bike seems to require more lean through corners in order to hold the line - at least it seems that way to me...I don't have any scientific measurements other than the seat of my pants feeling of the ride. No other problems associated with this combo.

:slv13:

Bike
2004 st1300
After trying to follow you thru the angeles crest saturday, I don't think there's any issue with stickiness of the Storm 2's, but I do have a new wobble since I've put the 2 on the rear. On the hiway,especially with wind, it tends to wander alot, especially around 85-100 mph and in the vicinity of large trucks. Neve had the problem with the sportmax.

I have found the Ultra 2s to be great. early days for life, but if it gets back up to the same as the original Azaros I will be happy (10 to 13,000kms).

Bike
'07 ST1300
I just put on a set of the original Storms. They replaced a set of PR2's and the difference in handling is so huge that I will never,ever,ever,ever go back to a PR2 again. Mileage is one thing but these tires are FUN! It's good to see that the handling hasn't changed for the Storm 2.

Bill

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Has anyone done any twisties in the rain on these? Do they stick? How are they on the slab in rain?

I was thinking about these but never saw any real mileage reports on a heavy bike out of them. I'll get 12-13k from my PR2's, and they are pretty sticky too in the rain ;)
A little rain going to work but nothing in the hills. I've never noticed a problem with any of the Avon's I've run; Azaro, Storm & Storm 2 Ultra.

After trying to follow you thru the angeles crest saturday, I don't think there's any issue with stickiness of the Storm 2's, but I do have a new wobble since I've put the 2 on the rear. On the hiway,especially with wind, it tends to wander alot, especially around 85-100 mph and in the vicinity of large trucks. Neve had the problem with the sportmax.
That was a casual relaxed pace. Regarding the "wobble" try cranking up the rear preload a little. I think the Storm is shorter than the PR2 so the rear might be sagging a little.

I just put on a set of the original Storms. They replaced a set of PR2's and the difference in handling is so huge that I will never,ever,ever,ever go back to a PR2 again. Mileage is one thing but these tires are FUN! It's good to see that the handling hasn't changed for the Storm 2.

Bill
PR2's are going to give better mileage than the Storm 2 Ultra but you're right the Storm 2 Ultra has more fun factor. :)

Top Bottom