Avon Storm-Front end wobble?

Jonb

Red Arr00w
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Had to buy new tires at Americade and had Avon Storms installed on my 95 ST1100 and on the way home I noticed that the handle bars had a wobble at about 46 miles an hour. Had the tire re-balanced and it did not help. Avon sent a new tire which is worse! Wobble starts at 35mph. You don't really notice unless you lossen your grip on the handle bars, but when you do it gets nasty. Any suggestions as to the cause/remedy? With the Dunlops that were previously installed you could let go of the bars at any speed and it was rock steady:confused:

Jonb

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have the same issue. For me it isn't that bad because it is only on deceleration. I am just living with it. Other here have gotten them to replace the tire. So far everyone has said the new tire did the job. Maybe you got 2 bad ones in a row.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
When I replaced my Avon Azaro with a Storm, the head went from rock steady to a shake-n-bake between 55 and 45 mph.
When my second Storm was new, the head shake was gone again, but now that it is worn a bit the shake is back.

I just take it into account and consciously do not remove both hands from the bars.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Had to buy new tires at Americade and had Avon Storms installed on my 95 ST1100 and on the way home I noticed that the handle bars had a wobble at about 46 miles an hour. Had the tire re-balanced and it did not help. Avon sent a new tire which is worse! Wobble starts at 35mph. You don't really notice unless you lossen your grip on the handle bars, but when you do it gets nasty. Any suggestions as to the cause/remedy? With the Dunlops that were previously installed you could let go of the bars at any speed and it was rock steady:confused:

Jonb
Sounds like a tire problem to me, if you didn`t have it before and now you do. But be carefull what you say no one will believe you, Storms can do no wrong. See my and other posts to Avon Storm split tread started by mpgar starting on 6-13-09.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
When I replaced my Avon Azaro with a Storm, the head went from rock steady to a shake-n-bake between 55 and 45 mph.
When my second Storm was new, the head shake was gone again, but now that it is worn a bit the shake is back.

I just take it into account and consciously do not remove both hands from the bars.
Looks like five more Storm problems, where there`s smoke there`s fire.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Wow Avon is getting hammered in this thread.

They typically are spoken highly of this is why I went with them. Overall even with the head shake I will still get another set. I love them in the corners. My shake is totally controllable with even one hand on the bars. The only time it would be an issue is if I let go of the bars. Since I don't ride like that it isn't that big of a deal.

Lately I have been exploring the limits of these tires and they are pretty darn good. I have some coworkers on Sport Bikes that won't follow me into corners. Granted they are not that good a riding as they only put on 1-2K miles a year. The problem I will have if I go away from them is that I have so much confidence in letting this bike rip through the corners that I may run into problems if I went with a lesser tire. I know the OEM Dunlops that I used to run couldn't touch the Storms in dry or wet weather.

jwayden

John Wayden
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Had Avon STorms on my bike for a whopping 4,000 miles... No shake or wobble of any kind. Also, the bike tracks much smoother over grooved pavement than the stock BT020's...

Sad to think that such a large percentage (as it seems on this thread) of Avon STorms have stability issues.:shrug1:

I'll probably replace these with another set of STorms. Just my 2 cents...

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Wow Avon is getting hammered in this thread.

They typically are spoken highly of this is why I went with them....
I seem to sense that the majority of the problems with this tire occur with 1100 owners and not 1300 owners. I've still got the storm on the front on my 1300 with almost 15K miles on it (Rear was toast after 11K) and it is still working great for me.

Also need to remember that the tire sizes are different between the 1100 and the 1300.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Sounds like a tire problem to me, if you didn`t have it before and now you do. But be carefull what you say no one will believe you, Storms can do no wrong. See my and other posts to Avon Storm split tread started by mpgar starting on 6-13-09.
The other "ST1300" thread mentioned had a rear tire with sidewall damage that could have been caused by many things. It was well worn out. Maybe ran flat or improper inflation. I gave up posting in there after a poster kept editing his prior posts to correct his logic errors, so the thread no longer made the same sense as it originally did.

Come on Larry, even you stated in that other thread that the Storms are fine on an ST1100, (this thread is about the Storm on an ST1100), and you said only issues occur with the ST1300 size. Your other thread was all about sidewall plies, and the front (and rear) ST1100 Storm has plenty. Never heard of any crashes due to Storms, unlike other tires.

Based on your logic, he should avoid all tires, since all have issues at some point for someone. At least it wasn't like the PR2 that exploded for no reason (without warning) on an ST1300 rider, posted about in another thread the other day. So it's stay away from Storms (they wobble or wear out)? Stay FAR away from PR2's (they explode)? What else do you use in the wet?

We get it. You don't like Storms on anything. That's fine for you, and I won't comment again on your thoughts.

Back on topic.
I too had a wobble with a new front Storm on an ST1100, as it seemed they had a bad batch that forced them to shut down production for several weeks (all ST1100 sizes disappeared and went on backorder for several weeks). The tire was promptly replaced with one from a good prior batch, and wobble completely gone. That was more than 17,000 miles ago, and still tons of tread left, with nice wear. Expect this front will easily go 25,000+ miles.

One thing that is always mentioned about the Storms is how great they handle. Instant change for the better in the way the bike feels. The down side to that is that they adjust to every little road detail. The ST1100 has a known issue with Steering Head bearings that will cause a wobble that you might not notice with less sensitive tires. If questionable, the Storms will magnify the need to replace them with tapered bearings. Search for more info.

After testing several tires, including Bridgestones and Dunlops, I will only run Avon Storms on the ST now, even though I was one that had a defective one initially.

Replacement needs to come from Avon in Washington state, not the distributors warehouse, otherwise you might get the same. Call Avon directly and they will send from the correct location. Dealer might not.

Avon is not a second rate company. For motorcycle safety, they even have a no plug policy, where they will replace your tire at no charge, if you run over a nail and get a hole in it (limited mileage). Who else does that for motorcycles?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I know that this thread was started for someone with an 1100 but also keep in mind that the Storm is not a recommended tire for the 1300. Some tire shops won't sell them to or mount them on ST1300 bikes. If they do they could be open to liability as it isn't listed as a bike that they are approved for.

The ST1100 on the other hand is on the approved list so I would contact Avon directly and get a replacement.

One thing I noticed when I first went to Storms is that the bike tends to wander more when going straight than they did on Dunlops. This is amplified when behind big trucks. I think this was partly due to the fact that these tires like to corner. I think any upset turbulence I would hit would cause the bike to lean a little and the tires want to corner so I would start a little bit of a weave. I would then have to correct for this. Once in clean air this would go away. Now I ride a lot of slab and not a ton of corners unless out for fun. So after 5,000 miles my tires are getting squared off a little. That tendancy to wander has gone away. This is also why I think it had to do with the curvature of the tires.

Oh one other thing. Make sure they are not mounting one of the tires backwards. I swore for the first month that I was either loosing my mind or I had a tire backwards. The tread pattern for the two tires are opposite. I swore I got down and checked the rotation arrows 10 times over that month thinking I was wrong the last time I checked the arrows. I think it is the front that should look like it is backwards. Go with the arrows. I can tell you these things work great in the rain. In fact I see it is raining out right now and as soon as I hit reply I am putting on my gear and headding out.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
A 'defective' tyre which causes a 'wobble' can be caused by either a manufacturing defect or, as is more often the case, by poor handling and storage.

I have Storms on my ST1100 and they are way better than the Bridgestones 020's that came off. Handling, grip, confidence in the wet etc etc....

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
4 or 5 bad is not a large percentage I am on my 3rd set of storms and have had no problems at all. These tires feel the best to me I have tried PR's, PR2's, and the Azaros before that. All good tires but for me the Storms inspire more confidence wet or dry.

OP
OP
Jonb

Jonb

Red Arr00w
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks to all who have replied! :bow1:I spent a lot of time researching the "Tire" topic and choose the Avon becasue of the reports of the handling/performance feedback and warranty support. I was impressed at how quickly Avon responded to the problem. Have been dealing with an Atlanta, Georgia location? Rob, you mentioned Washington. Do you have a phone number? My searches on the internet have not encountered this location.
As for the ride....the first couple of turns were a trip. The bike dives into the turns quickly. Took some getting used too. A hour later I found I had to back off the throttle as I kept cathing up to the fellow ST1100 rider in the lead while sweeping thru turns. This forum is simply amazing!

Bike
2003 ST 1300A
I replaced a worn set of PR-2's on my 1300 and also love the way they handle. I am also getting the low speed wobble, and called Avon yesterday from the shop that installed them & a new tire is on the way. I hope I get a better result from the new tire, but will probally be willing to live with the wobble and keep my hands on the bars of not! Avon took the DOT # and will hopefully send me a tire from a different run.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The other "ST1300" thread mentioned had a rear tire with sidewall damage that could have been caused by many things. It was well worn out. Maybe ran flat or improper inflation. I gave up posting in there after a poster kept editing his prior posts to correct his logic errors, so the thread no longer made the same sense as it originally did.

Come on Larry, even you stated in that other thread that the Storms are fine on an ST1100, (this thread is about the Storm on an ST1100), and you said only issues occur with the ST1300 size. Your other thread was all about sidewall plies, and the front (and rear) ST1100 Storm has plenty. Never heard of any crashes due to Storms, unlike other tires.

Based on your logic, he should avoid all tires, since all have issues at some point for someone. At least it wasn't like the PR2 that exploded for no reason (without warning) on an ST1300 rider, posted about in another thread the other day. So it's stay away from Storms (they wobble or wear out)? Stay FAR away from PR2's (they explode)? What else do you use in the wet?

We get it. You don't like Storms on anything. That's fine for you, and I won't comment again on your thoughts.

Back on topic.
I too had a wobble with a new front Storm on an ST1100, as it seemed they had a bad batch that forced them to shut down production for several weeks (all ST1100 sizes disappeared and went on backorder for several weeks). The tire was promptly replaced with one from a good prior batch, and wobble completely gone. That was more than 17,000 miles ago, and still tons of tread left, with nice wear. Expect this front will easily go 25,000+ miles.

One thing that is always mentioned about the Storms is how great they handle. Instant change for the better in the way the bike feels. The down side to that is that they adjust to every little road detail. The ST1100 has a known issue with Steering Head bearings that will cause a wobble that you might not notice with less sensitive tires. If questionable, the Storms will magnify the need to replace them with tapered bearings. Search for more info.

After testing several tires, including Bridgestones and Dunlops, I will only run Avon Storms on the ST now, even though I was one that had a defective one initially.

Replacement needs to come from Avon in Washington state, not the distributors warehouse, otherwise you might get the same. Call Avon directly and they will send from the correct location. Dealer might not.

Avon is not a second rate company. For motorcycle safety, they even have a no plug policy, where they will replace your tire at no charge, if you run over a nail and get a hole in it (limited mileage). Who else does that for motorcycles?
You again! I thought you would still be in shock. Please quit putting words in my mouth and doing my thinking for me.

Bike
'93 ST1100
... I was impressed at how quickly Avon responded to the problem. Have been dealing with an Atlanta, Georgia location? Rob, you mentioned Washington. Do you have a phone number? My searches on the internet have not encountered this location.
Avon Washington state phone number: 1-800-624-7470

OP
OP
Jonb

Jonb

Red Arr00w
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info. It appears that I have been dealing with this location. They suggested that I try the tire for at least a 100 miles and experiment with the tire pressure. The thought goes: Try the tire at 42 psi and decrease it by 2psi at intervals to a low of 36psi and see if there is any improvement. On my way home to try this out. If this has no effect then they will ship me yet another tire.

Top Bottom