Avon STorm Split

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I had the distributor take a look at the split on my tire yesterday, and he called it in to Avon's warranty line. He gave them all the numbers and measured the tread wear (1/4 inch left) and then told me that they would be sending a new tire. I respect that. I guess this thread sparked a lot of debate about the number of sidewall plies, but all I originally wanted to know is if this was a common occurrence with the STorm. I still like the tire, and I'll gladly put a new one on and try it again. The rep also reminded me that Avon will replace a tire that suffers road hazard damage as well if the tread is still good. Wow, a company that stands behind their product. What a novel idea.
As for pictures, well, I am on vacation this week, but I'll try and upload a picture of the 1" split next week when I get back.

Mike :bk13:
Nice!

Congrats Mike you scored! :)
I like the avons and will continue to ride them too.

Mark

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
3?

This is your picture. Look at your picture. Add 2 +1+1. Does that add up to three? No, that TOTALS 4.

Now add 1 + 1 + 1 + 1. What is the TOTAL number?

Now add 3 + 1. What is the TOTAL number?

Now add 2 Rayon 1 polyester 1 aramid. This is the TOTAL number of plies in the rear tire of my Avon Storm. As in tread 3 plies and sidewall 1 ply. 4 PLIES In TOTAL. It looks just like your pictures and just like I posted more than once now.

Now go back and read post #6. I am sorry I was not more clear. I said the tire has one ply sidewall and is 4 plies TOTAL.

You said in your beginning post #5 the Avon Storm is 2 ply sidewall. You and some guy looked at it. But when asked to back that up "What Avon tire is two ply?" we are still here days later with one of us adding 2 +1 +1 and getting 3.

I think this is a case of internet misunderstanding each other and we need to go riding.
Somehow you seem to always overlook my corrected statment on 6-14-09.

As seen in this diagram the first belt wraps from bead to bead, thus it becomes the first tread ply and sidewall ply, as with the 170/60ZR 17 Storm.
The addtional plies are then stacked on it, in this case 3 more. This gives you 1 ply in the side wall and a total of 4 in the tread. In the case of the Storm that makes it three in the tread. The first one being the Rayon which forms the sidewall also, and then 1 polyester which becomes the second tread ply and the Aramid which becomes the third tread ply. Total 1 sidewall 3 tread.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
These photos are of a Bridgestone.
You will notice that in all these tires the sidewall plies are exactly the same material and in the same numbers as found in the tread ply makeup. Also notice that they all have 2 or more sidewall plies.
Hope the solves the need for thousands of words.

Attachments

Top Bottom