Avon Storm ST 2's... Front end wobble and initial impressions

Bike
'07 ST1300
I think there is more to this than tire profile. With the stock 220's I had no problems at all until I added a GenMar 1" straight up riser. That's when the 45mph decel wobble started. Changing to the PR2's made the front end track very poorly at freeway speeds and a loss of confidence in the twisties. Upgrading the shock to HyprPro and the forks to Racetech valving eliminated the wobble and high speed instability (twitch) but I'm still looking for that combination of life and stickiness in a tire. The PR2 has it but, for me, doesn't inspire confidence.

Bill :07biker:

MorleyJC

Der Weg ist das Ziel
Bike
'05 ST1300A
:tc1:

I have a Storm1 on the front (nearly new) and just had a Storm2 installed on the back- have about 200 miles on it so far. I am having no issues with front wobble at any speed. Guess I'll have to keep running that setup for awhile rather than put a Storm 2 on the front.

Anyone know if Avon plans to discontinue the Storm 1's now that the second gen are out?

Bike
2004 st1300
Have about 800 miles on a Storm II rear tire, with a Roadsmart on the front. 04 with 42K on the clock, still the stock shock. No wobble evident here from 0-triple digits at any speed. The only time my bar ends move back and forth like that is with full throttle acceleration, which I found to occur when the front wheel is off the ground.

With the stories here, I may not put a storm II on the front when it comes time.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm running Storm 2s on two of my ST1100s with no headshake at all. But the setup is - Works Pro Springs with 1 3/8" preload and 10 wt oil, Works Pro Racer rear shock and new steering head bearings, 42 PSI in the rear, 36 PSI in the front (and I'm a big, fat feller! ;-)). They were a little 'nervous' for the first 100 miles or so but after that they are working swell for me. They do seem to be more sensitive to crosswinds also. But, YEMV!

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm going to keep my Storm II on the front end for now. Going to Upgrade the Fork springs on the 20th...if the wobble still exists (it just annoys me), the Storm II will become my back-up tire... I just love the way the Storm II's take the corners...:cool:

Bike
2003 ST 1300A
I bought my '03 with 5700 miles on it in April '08. It had a badly cupped original front tire & very loose head bearings. It did come with a fork brace already installed as well. At 70 mph on it did the wobble until I put on PR 2's and had the bearing tightened. After 12K on those I decided to try the Storms last spring. The head shake showed up immediately, and Avon replaced the front tire which fixed the problem.

The level of confidence with the handling of the Storms has sold me on putting on a new set of Storm 2's, along with a tapered head bearing & both fork springs and a shock spring from Hyperpro. With approximately 28K I am hoping that I still have a season or two before a new rear shock will be needed. Tech Day at Randy's on the 27th will be the day it all goes on.

Even with all of the problems that I see on this board that some of us (including me) have had with the Storms, the level of confidence I ride with on them has made me willing to continue to use them. I am hoping that the new bearing and springs will improve the ride as well. If the head shake comes back, I will simply call Avon for a replacement tire again. They were very good last time & even reimbursed the labor charge incurred to install the second tire.
I will report on the results once all is done. I?m very grateful to Randy for hosting another Tech Day and I know that everything will get installed properly with his expert guidance.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I had a new Storm 2 "Ultra" front tire installed on my bike yesterday to replace a Storm ST that was producing the infamous wobble. Sorry to report, but the new Ultra release still doesn't resolve this problem.

I never had a front end wobble problem with my BT's but I didn't like that tire so I replaced them with Storm 2's last fall and that was when the wobble started. I contacted Avon a few weeks ago and they sent me the new Storm 2 Ultra tire. I finally had it installed and balanced yesterday by First Choice Motorcycles in Cleveland, TN. Jeff did a great job working on my bike. I let go of the bars while riding home and the wobble is still there, but worse. I could steady the wobble with a light touch with the Storm 2 tire, but it took a firm grip to get it under control with the new ST2 Ultra.

As several have said, we should never let go of our bars, but most of us reading this thread do momentarily for various reasons or else this thread wouldn't exist. :)

I want to take the opportunity here to comment on Jeff with First Choice Motorcycles. I must commend the value of his work. While mounting my tire, he also replaced the fork seals, front brakes, did a valve adjustment, synchronized the throttle bodies and replaced the battery. He didn't rob me in the process and my bike runs great. I couldn't be more pleased with his service.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I took the opportunity to call Avon tech support today because i have been paying attention to this thread. The tech at avon was not much help to resolve the problem of the wobble. However just to let you know Avon does not recommend the Storm or Storm2 for the ST1300, they do not offer a tire for this fitment. the tech also felt the problem could be with the profile of the Storm2.. The Storm has the same load index as the z6, pr2 and bt020, So in my opinion it has more to do with the profile of the tire than the load.

Yep he's right I also put in some calls today to Avon. The tech guy told me the same thing. Now only 3 months ago everything was a go and I was told they would be approved.

Now the story has changed. I was told they are ok for thr ST1100 but the testing has not been doone on the ST1300.

So here we are again that they are not approved for the ST1300.

I spoke to the Avon rep that is over the techs and she said if you install the roller bearings in the steering head then it would solve the problem.

Go figure.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Yep he's right I also put in some calls today to Avon. The tech guy told me the same thing. Now only 3 months ago everything was a go and I was told they would be approved.

Now the story has changed. I was told they are ok for thr ST1100 but the testing has not been doone on the ST1300.

So here we are again that they are not approved for the ST1300.

I spoke to the Avon rep that is over the techs and she said if you install the roller bearings in the steering head then it would solve the problem.

Go figure.
Do you think they actually do testing with a real ST1300 with both kinds of bearing installed?

Bike
None
STOC #
By "Roller" do you mean the Tapered bearings?
Unbelievable!:hat2:

Yep! Taper bearings!!

I've mentioned this before, I've a 98 1100 w/the storms and no head shake! I have had the head bearings replaced with tapered bearings before it needed tires so it rides the same as it did before the storms.

Thinking out loud, I'm beginning to wonder if the torque has been checked on the head bearings on the afflicted bikes or if the head bearings are worn enough to create a problem, or if they need to be re-greased and re-torqued??? What about the bushings/bearings in the swing arm??? Is there a torque spec or maintenance that needs to be done on them?? Could it be as others have eluded to, the swing arm swinging side to side??? It would only take a couple a extra millimeters to create a problem???

Food for thought!!! :eat1:

Bike
2005 ST
STOC #
Thought I would add my opinion about the STorm2 tires.
I put a set on about a month ago and now have a few hundred miles on them and REALLY LOVE THEM over the OEM tires. These are on a COMPLETELY STOCK 2005, I have experienced no shutter or shaking or wobble at all, at any range of speeds in acceleration or deceleration in the corners or on the straights, I had them installed by the local Honda dealer. To me they STick extremely well. Running 40-42PSI. Unless they develope these symptoms I am hearing about I would buy another set when these are done.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Hmm, and I got jumped on when I conveyed what I was told.

Guess my contact was a little further up the food chain than sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I thought about chaning to the tapered sterring head bearings since I'm upgrading to sonic springs tomorrow....but I forgot to call CBR bearings yesterday:doh1: Guess it will wait until next time...

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Quote by Rob Hephner
Yeah, I am kind of interested in what that entails exactly....maybe I should actually read the service manual I have?
Ahhhh. It's just going to say "take off every bit of plastic, including the tail piece, loosen the big nut, take the roller parts out, whack the tapered parts out with a hammer and punch, assembly is the reverse!"

No problems there!

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm in the process of trying to find a source for those tools.....perhaps keep them together and offer as a traveling tool kit....:D I'm not inclined to use a hammer and pnch as I don't have much experience with bearing replacement....:eek:4:

I removed the Storm 2 off the front wheel (Put an OEM BT-020F back on) and ALL wobble is gone... My ST will never see a Storm 2 again. Still want to upgrade the bearings...as mine are appraoching 50,000 miles....although the OEM's seem fine I plan to change them to the tapered bearings...

Top Bottom