Avon Storm-ST on a 1991 ST1100

Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
The Avon Storm-ST, AV55 and AV56, were put on my 1991 ST1100 on February 23, 2007 at 77,551 miles. Tire pressure 36F and 42R. My previous two sets have been the Exedra G547 and G548, I had no problems with them. I just wanted to try radials. One has realize that about any new of tire is going to feel better than the ones taken off at 10,000 miles. After 454 miles my impressions are:

The Good
At slow parking lot speeds, they seem to lighten up the bike, steering is quite a bit easier.
At speed, lane changes require less pressure.
At speed, no instability noted in clean air or passing 18 wheelers.
At speed, hands off bars, just briefly, no shake or wobble.
At various speeds, no wobbles during acceleration or de-acceleration.
In turns the bike leans into and out of turns very linearly. (So did new Exedra's.)
In turns, the bike seemed to like another 10 MPH in the same curve. No pucker was experienced.

The Bad
At speed and straight line on smooth surface pavement tire noise is barley there, however on rough surface pavement the tire volume gets to be loud - fast, the rougher the pavement the noisier the front gets, I did not notice the rear tire noise.

The Unknown
Fuel economy ? dependent on right wrist, (actually a little lower this run.)
Mileage too early to determine.
Rain or grooved pavement were not encountered.
Traction, never spun or locked a tire, lately..
The bike seemed to pick up some vibration in the handle bar and foot pegs. However, I
committed a biker's sin, the tires were replaced AND the front shock fluid was changes to a higher weight to stop the bottoming out and the rear shock was change from the lowest position to the mid position. Yea, I know better, one variable at a time, but did not want to install the front wheel twice.

Conclusion:

I am happy so far, they feel better and are about the same price as the Exedra.

Top Bottom