Avon Storm up front

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
All I can say is wow! Never have I seen this much change in handling just from a tire change.
It has taken a few hundred miles to get used to the tires and it still surprises me.
The bike now falls into turns effortlessly, the first few turns I almost ran off the inside.....LOL.

Love the change....thanks for all the great advice I got here on this awesome forum!

PS The previous tire was a Continental Road Attack.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
So, did you just change the Avon Storms up front only? What are you running in the rear? Can you speak to the differences between the Storms and the Road Attacks? So far I have liked the road attacks the best, but thinking of the Storms.

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Just put a Storm on the front myself. Azaro on the rear. So far, so good. Pretty sticky in the twisties as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
NCrider

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Only up front.

The Road required a lot more input in curves, the Storms just seem to fall into the cruve and stay there until you bring it out.
Much less tendency to straighten out, requiring less input from me....does that make sense?

EDIT: oops sorry, Battlax BT020 on the rear.

Last edited:
Bike
'96 ST1100
STOC #
Good input Andrew!

My front, currently a BattleAx, is almost at the wear-bars, and is showing what appears to be the opposite of squaring off. It is almost as if there is a harder strip of rubber right in the middle of the tread? Puts a ridge on there that makes it look a bit like one of those old tractor tires! .

Anyway, there will be a call to Twobrothers next week for the match to the Avon Storm that is already on the back end of my '96 and which I really like!

Jerry

As a follow-up to mine own posting, yesterday I ordered the 110/80 Avon Storm for the ST1100 front from Twobrotherstires.com.

I spoke to Tim as I did when I ordered the rear Storm for this bike. He answered several questions about Slime, Roll-On, Dyna-beads and right angle valves, Avon's Road Hazard guarantee and promised, crossed his heart and said he would eat worm-dirt pie, to get this new tire to me as fast as the last one came in, and to order a couple of clear, sunny days to mount it, scrub it in and run it a bit.

I am sorry to announce Tim was a failure on all fronts. The first Storm arrived in 23 hours from call to delivery! The new front took 24.5 hours from the time of my call to TBT till UPS showed up at the door in SE Pennsylvania! In the rain!

All joking aside, service (and price!) like this is hard to find and harder to beat!

Now... about that rain...

Jerry

Last edited:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Erm.... slightly concerned that at an advanced riders rideout last week one guy with a 1300 said he had spoken with Avon in the UK and they did not recommend the Storm ST for the ST1300.

In light of this can any of you guys in the USA throw any light on this from Avon over there as to their take on this?

It is still listed as the recommended fitment for the 1100 though, so if it was weight which is the issue then this doesn't make sense.

Tailgunner

R.I.P. - 2012/05/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
My understanding is the Storms are not approved for the ST1300 but are approved for the ST1300 Pan European.

I just got them installed and although I only just got past the 50 mile mark and so just now testing them, really like what I feel.

Bike
06 ST1300A
I have previously checked with Avon and they aren't approved fittment for the ST1300 in the UK either.

I've been using Avon storm ST on my ST1300 for 6000+ miles now and had no problems at all with them,They're starting to wear out a little now on the shoulders but still plenty of mileage left on them and will be replacing them with yep you got it storm st's when the time comes.
Hi Les how you doing, Did Allan,Jane and company have a good time up at yours last month

Dave

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have had 3 sets of storms no problems at all. Last rear only lasted 7400 miles. Using the Metzlr Z6's now but will probably go back to the storm. Wish I could get a Diablo Strada front and rear.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Hi Dave, yup, we had a run out to Stirling castle and the Forth Bridges, it was a good day out although we got back later than I originally planned......

Just fitted new Storm AV55 on the front wheel last night, will get the wheel fitted once I have cleaned the calipers and re-assembled them...... tyre that came off was my first Storm at just a whisker under 7000 miles. New one is a Storm 2 Ultra..... ooh.... we shall see!

Top Bottom