Avon Storm vs Michelin PR2 review

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I only have 600 miles on the Michelins now but I have some initial comments. The PR2's are more nervous than the Storms and I found myself oversteering at tip-in and having to push the outside bar to correct the line after corner entry. This is not a problem just an observation and I have adjusted to the quicker tip-in. I was scrubbing in the tires of course and taking it easy to start with. In the dirty air of 75+ mph traffic the PR2's are less stable than Avons. I am running 42/42. I touched a buck forty in clear clean air and the PR2's did track true with nary a weave but the Avons over 120 might or might not weave depending on load or crosswinds so this one time event last weekend may not hold true under other conditions. More will be revealed.

Tonight I was looking at the PR2's very closely and noted the chicken strips were wider than I would normally see on Storms after the same roads. I have a spare set of Storms so I measured the width of the tire tread surface from shoulder to shoulder. I was surprised to find the front PR2 is 6 5/8" and the Storm front was 6 1/8", some 1/2" narrower. The rear PR2 was 8 3/4" or 3/4" wider across the tread. The Michelins have a bit more tread out at the edges which is a nice thing I suppose. I never got past the edge of the Storms but I guess the Michelins still have a little more left when leaned to the same angles.

I look forward to following this thread with further mileage updates, if you would be so kind. These are the two tires I am interested in trying to replace my current Metzlers.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Will be watching too. I put Storms on 3400 miles ago. Love the way they handle. However, the rear is going to be gone way before 5k. Not on either edge or in the center, but between the center and the left edge. Scalloping bad and very thin there while the rest still has plenty of tread. Starting to feel it in left hand turns. Will probably replace the rear with PR2 and see what happens. Keep us updated.

Chuck

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm on my second set of PR2's with 12.5k on my current ones and still not to the wear bars. I keep thinking I need to replace them, but at each inspection they still look good? You can feel a slight scalloping if you run your hand over them and they are starting to "hum" somewhat in turns. The first set was changed around 12k because I was heading out for a long trip, but they still had some miles left in them. I'll be heading down to Two Brothers soon to get another set.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm on my second set of PR2's with 12.5k on my current ones and still not to the wear bars. I keep thinking I need to replace them, but at each inspection they still look good? You can feel a slight scalloping if you run your hand over them and they are starting to "hum" somewhat in turns. The first set was changed around 12k because I was heading out for a long trip, but they still had some miles left in them. I'll be heading down to Two Brothers soon to get another set.
:plus1:

Just turned over 13000 miles on my PR2s with more miles left on the rear and front still looks even better. No problems or strange noises from my tires as reported by others. I will replace with PR2s when due. :D

:usflag1:

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #
Dave, Just gone through the same test. After going through a couple of sets of Storms I was forced into trying the PR2's. Avons weren't available with I ended up with 2 large screws in my rear tire. The Storms last me about 9000-9500 miles; I am presently at about 10700 on the PR2's with more to go. However at a cost per mile it is going to end up about the same; PR2's being more costly. I do like the feel of the Storms much better; especially the rear(the front too but not as much). The rear feels not as fixed/planted to me. I have more convidence with the Storms. So, I'll be going back to the Avons at the next tire change . Sorry I couldn't get to FLSTOC last week.

Sonny

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
You're chicken strip wear will be different on the PR2's... just can't lean that far... LOL!!!

Check out Pirelli Angels... they are getting great reviews from alot of riders ;)

Krynn

Mana-mana, doo doo da-do-doo!
Just turned over 13000 miles on my PR2s with more miles left on the rear and front still looks even better. No problems or strange noises from my tires as reported by others. I will replace with PR2s when due. :D
My front PR2 is due for changing with a whopping 17,540 miles on it. Ok, so I really should have changed it out at around 16.5k miles, but I kept forgetting about it. :rolleyes: I've already got everything together at the house to mount my new one, so I'll probably be doing it this weekend.

I've changed out my rear PR2 twice now due to picking up nails, so I don't know how long it will last - the first was at 1.5k, the second at 11k. The second one looked like it still had at least 4 to 5k left on it, so I'm hoping that's what I'll see out of my current tire.

I love how the bike just falls right to where I want it to be when leaning into a corner. With the 'stones, I always felt like I was having to push the bike around. With the PR2's, it feels more like the bike is reading my mind.

As for a hum in corners, I've only noticed that on some pavement types, and even then it only seems to happen when the temperature is just right.

I can't say I've notice any twitchiness or stability issues at any speed. Well, there's a little wobble if I'm behind an 18-wheeler, but that's more due to my topbox than anything else.

What I have noticed is that the PR2s stick like freakin' glue when it's wet out. I can't say that I've ever had another tire that's given me more confidence in the rain. I still tone my riding down several notches when it's raining, but that's because I'm worried about other vehicles, not whether or not my tires are going to slip.

I have my preload set high and have a hard time scribing in the entire tire have to hang off and scrape nice to know I have more tire than bike

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I was surprised to find the front PR2 is 6 5/8" and the Storm front was 6 1/8", some 1/2" narrower. The rear PR2 was 8 3/4" or 3/4" wider across the tread. The Michelins have a bit more tread out at the edges which is a nice thing I suppose.
Is the tire actually wider or does the tread just go further up the side wall? I see no purpose of it going up past where it can be used, however I don't see where it would hurt. Would just result in the wider chicken strip mentioned above. It would be interesting to see a cutaway/profile comparison of the two.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Which Avon Storm tires are we talking about? The Storm 2 Ultras or the Storm-STs?
I have only seen press releases on the Storm 2 Ultra's. The Storms I am referring to are the AV55 and AV56 that have been on the market about 3 years.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is the tire actually wider or does the tread just go further up the side wall? I see no purpose of it going up past where it can be used, however I don't see where it would hurt. Would just result in the wider chicken strip mentioned above. It would be interesting to see a cutaway/profile comparison of the two.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. The distance I measured is from the edge of the tread to the other edge across the surface of the tire so any additional distance is from the sidewall being shorter. The nominal width of the PR2's aren't any wider than the Storms (120 and 170 mm ). The tread "wraps-around" further on the Michelins.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I have noticed is that the PR2s stick like freakin' glue when it's wet out. I can't say that I've ever had another tire that's given me more confidence in the rain. I still tone my riding down several notches when it's raining, but that's because I'm worried about other vehicles, not whether or not my tires are going to slip.
My comparison is based on changing brands after 43,000 miles on Storms. I have ridden OEM Bridgestones, Metzeler Z6's, and original Pilot Roads on the ST1300 and consider Avon Storms my personal gold standard. For me there was no tire that gave me as much confidence in wet or dry conditions. But I am in search of better mileage as long as I don't have to give up much performance. I really have barely broken the PR2's in and haven't ridden in the rain at all. Many riders like them very much and I remain open minded.

Hi Dave ,,,

Hope all is well, I managed 14K from the Front Storm, and 9K on rear. Then at 5600, I found a nail in the rear, so I am replacing it Friday. Damnit!!
I am On Vacation this week,Past Bird Day. R U Busy ?? R U riding anywhere fun or would you be interested in taking a day trip anywhere???? If So, give me a yell.

Later Vern. :smrtcar1:

I'm seeing a few Avon Storm 2 Ultras showing up on e-Bay. I think they must be out in GB.

YR

Bike
ST1300A
Sorry I wasn't more clear. The distance I measured is from the edge of the tread to the other edge across the surface of the tire so any additional distance is from the sidewall being shorter. The nominal width of the PR2's aren't any wider than the Storms (120 and 170 mm ). The tread "wraps-around" further on the Michelins.
This means that the curvature of the tire's cross section is different: the one with the longer thread (the "wider thread") has a smaller radius of curvature. I doubt that a smaller radius of curvature is superior in any way, unless it is stickier.

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
FWIW,
I have 18,522 miles on the current front PR2, and that is about it.
After changing just the rear tire about 10k ago, I decided it was time to try and wear a front out. The way my tire wear averages work out, that would be 3 rears to 2 fronts...
The only other tires I have run are the 020s and 021s, and I got really poor mileage from them for my riding style.
Rich

Top Bottom