Avon Storms and Storm 2 Ultras: my experience

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I've run Avon Tyres ever since I purchased my ST. It came with Azaros on it, which I ran until they quit being made, and then I ran Storms. When I heard the Storm 2 Ultras were supposed to be as good as the Storms but last longer, I decided I needed to give them a try.

I heard about the front end wobble associated with Storm 2 Ultras. Prior to hearing about that, I was already considering using a Storm 2 Ultra on the rear (for the mileage) and a regular Storm on the front because it usually lasts about twice as long as the regular Storm rear did for me. So, in light of the possible wobble issues, I went with that option. My current front was a regular Storm, still in good shape, but with the trips I have planned, I wanted to change the tire now and wear the other one out later if I need to. So I have two brand new tires on my ST1100: a Storm front and a Storm 2 Ultra rear.

My front steering bearings are in tip top shape, since I replaced them last winter with tapered bearings from CBR bearings. At the same time, I also put in new progressive springs and new fork oil. My rear shock is also in good shape, but still a Honda shock (newer). My suspension and steering should therefore have no effect in creating a wobble or amplifying any present from the tires. Prior to the front suspension work and new steering bearings, I always had a deceleration wobble from 55-40 mph.

I mounted both tires yesterday. I did not even concern myself with balancing the tires. I don't think I'm going to do that anymore anyways. 41 psi in the front, 38 psi in the rear.

I put about 100 miles on the ST today. I broke them in in the rain. I'll say that the Storm 2 Ultra rear sticks just as well as the regular Storm does on wet pavement, which was one of my concerns with the harder rubber in the middle. The front performed as usual. It quit raining and blew hard today so the roads dried off. I rode home nearly the same route as I rode to class this morning: mostly back roads that I'm familiar with with maybe 15 minutes of interstate mixed in.

The interstate portion on the way home was full of stupid drivers that liked to go from 60 mph to 10 mph for no reason, so I got to test out the braking traction as well: as expected from an Avon. I rode slow, I rode fast, I road twisties, I road straights. I hit triple digits once. I never found a wobble during acceleration, constant speed, or deceleration. The ride was on par with the ride quality of all of the other Avon Tyres I've used on the ST and I noticed nothing abnormal with using a Storm 2 Ultra rear. I wonder if I would have found a wobble if I used a Storm 2 Ultra front. I don't feel like finding out right now :).

Conclusions? There are none! Might I suggest, however, that anyone experiencing wobble with the Storm 2 Ultras make sure their suspension and bearings are in good shape. Perhaps that tire just likes to amplify a smaller problem.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I wish you had a mileage estimate for the new 2's. I'm at 3,700 miles on my rear Storm and I'm already down to the wear bars. I do not consider myself an aggressive rider although I did see some speed at the BRG '09 group rides while on this tire and on some rides with the local BMW guys. Otherwise, I'm reasonably laid back about my riding. I am currently very dissatisfied with this overly fast wear rate on the rear tire. I'm 6'2" & 225 lb and mostly 1 up riding.

My first rear Storm got about 5,000 miles out of it. I expected at least that much from the current one as it has been ridden in colder weather. (last September to date) The front tire still looks very good and can last another rear at 5,000 miles.

I like the Storms better than the stock Bridgestones but I am not happy with Storms performance resulting in such low mileage on a tire. I'm debating on whether or not to try the Storm 2 or find another brand of tire.

Any suggestions?

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Thanks for the 'heads up' Jed.

I'm a STorm guy, and now I know what I'll do when it's time to do something...Or, more likely, I'll be the guy that tries the II on the front.....

It'll be mid summer at least for the front one....

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am putting my Storm 2's on this Saturday I am not worried about these reports. I think they may be due to improper suspension set ups or bearings . But I love the way the Storms stick in the dry and wet. I have Hyper pro fork springs in and a Hyper pro rear shock all new.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Hi there...
I had an afternoon off and decent weather so I rode to Circle Cyle and had the set that I ordered installed...they found that I needed rear brakes as well.
$410.00 later I was on my way....
I found a nice ride in the 100 or so miles that I rode them today, with no bad traits...

Have fun!

Bike
'93 ST1100
After switching from Dunlops to original Storms on my '93 ST1100, I had a severe wobble that was discussed in this thread:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40372

Warranty front tire corrected wobble. 20,000 miles later on the front (still looks great with plenty of life left), and after 2 rears that each got 10,000 miles (well worn out), all while 100% wobble free (even with no hands) at any speed, under all conditions, went with the Storm 2 Ultra's.

While waiting for a rear thrust washer, and concerned about another front wobble, just mounted the front for now. Can confirm that it too is 100% wobble free, and another perfect tire. Took less than 1/4oz of weight. Mounted and balanced myself with HF equipment.

Please don't be fooled into thinking some wobble is normal, and you will have to live with it. It is not. Anyone that says it's normal, needs to find someone else to work on the bike. There should never be any sort of wobble on an ST1100 when everything is correct.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I now have around 700 miles on my ST 1100 and am VERY impressed with the Storms (2's). Nice ride and very precise...

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I had a set of Avon Storm II's on my ST1300 until last Saturday, when I replaced them with a set of Metzeler ME880's.

Based on my experience, the Storms are the "Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde's" of motorcycle tires. There are a lot of contrasting posts about the Storms, and I have to agree with both sides of the argument. They were by far the best handling tires I've ever had and I experienced all the good the tires have to offer. I've never ridden a tire with such great handling, wet/dry grip, long lasting, quiet, and smooth ride. Unfortunately, I also experienced the bad so many are warning others about. From the point I installed the Avons my bike developed the infamous front end wobble between 35-50 mph. If it wasn't for that wobble, these tires can't be beat.

I think the Avon Storms are a precision tire made for precision riding. While that nature has the ability to bring out all the good a bike has to offer, that nature also has a way of bringing all mechanical imperfections to the surface and magnifying them.

I do want to say I've never seen anyone stand behind their products like Avon does. I reported the effects of my tire to Avon and they sent me a new tire immediately, no questions asked. The new tire was worse than the first so they sent me another tire...no questions asked. Avon wants their customers to be happy.

1100's are prone to decel wobbles and the Storm seemed to have more than it's share than some other popular 1100 choices.
I have about 50 miles on a new set of Storm 2 Ultras on my 93 ST1100-ABS. I do have a very slight decel wobble but I have had this with many other tires over the years. The Bridgestone BT-020's did it but the BT-021's I just took off did not. It's only noticible if you take BOTH hands off the bars under decel from about 45mph. Not something you should be doing anyway.

I love they way these tires feel, at least when they are new. We will see how they wear.

EB-Larry

Bike
'2014 Yamaha Super T
STOC #
I mounted the Storm II Ultra.s on my '99 ST1100 ABS and after 120 miles I do not have the dreaded wobble. I also did not have to add any weight to balance the front or the back tire. That's a first for me!

The Ultra's replaced Storm I tires with 13.5 k miles out of 1 front and 2 rear tires.

Great tires!!!

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I replaced my worn out Storm front last week at 13,000 miles on that tire. It did have the 35-50 mph wobble as did the stock Bridgestone. The new Storm2 front also has the front shake-wobble but not as drastic, not yet.

I did my best to balance the front tire and added one small weight. I also added 12 oz of Amerseal to the front tire. The front tire runs smooth as glass except within the 35-50 mph range. I'm used to the shake and I don't get too concerned about it. A good steering stabilizer would solve this issue.

After putting several hundred miles on the new Storm2 front (combined with the Storm2 rear), I find it a very precise and twitchy tire. It handles fine and the steering is fast and precise in the corners, even better than the original Storm. Steering changes in the corners or straights are effortless and immediate. Some might find the steering too fast for their likes but it reminds me of my WRX...very precise steering. It might take some getting used to but I like it.:)

:slv13:

OP
OP
juddspaintballs

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
The front tire runs smooth as glass except within the 35-50 mph range. I'm used to the shake and I don't get too concerned about it. A good steering stabilizer would solve this issue.
That's the point of my post. The ST's aren't supposed to have the wobble at all. I highly suspect the wobble comes from either crappy bearings in the steering stem or wheels, or a suspension issue, or quite possibly something being loose in the rear end. The STorm 2's just like to amplify any underlying problems because they are so precise, which is why some people are blaming the tires for the wobble.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
That's the point of my post. The ST's aren't supposed to have the wobble at all. I highly suspect the wobble comes from either crappy bearings in the steering stem or wheels, or a suspension issue, or quite possibly something being loose in the rear end. The STorm 2's just like to amplify any underlying problems because they are so precise, which is why some people are blaming the tires for the wobble.
I agree. The fact that Treemuncher has had three different tires on the bike and still had the same wobble pretty much eliminates the possibility of the tires being the problem. I don't know what the problem is but my bike doesn't have any sort of wobble like that.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

I am in the camp I having tried quite a few different tyres, and have never had a hint of the wobbles, even with very worn tyres (96 police model ST1100).

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
At the end of the day the wobble only occurs when you ride with no hands on the bars, so as that's not strictly legal or safe, what's the issue?

Mine only ever did it when the tyre was worn down, perhaps it's a built in warning to get it changed, the tyre that is...

Top Bottom