Avon Storms and Storm 2 Ultras: my experience

I have about 50 miles on a new set of Storm 2 Ultras on my 93 ST1100-ABS. I do have a very slight decel wobble but I have had this with many other tires over the years. The Bridgestone BT-020's did it but the BT-021's I just took off did not. It's only noticible if you take BOTH hands off the bars under decel from about 45mph. Not something you should be doing anyway.

I love they way these tires feel, at least when they are new. We will see how they wear.

EB-Larry
Update - I have about 500 miles on them now. The hands off bars wobble went away with an air pressure adjustment. I have 39 in the front and 41 in the back. My rear shock is set up tight. It's a Progressive Suspension unit and I have 1.25" of sag. I am heavy so the preload is basically set to maximum. So far so good with the Storms. I have a ride up the coast next weekend and I'll be towing the trailer so it will be my first experience with them at full load.

EB-Larry

Another update - I have about a thousand miles on the Storms now. On Saturday I rode to Fort Bragg for lunch and camped at Manchester Beach. The Storms handled really well with the full load towing the trailer. I also got to try them on a road damp from fog. Great traction although I have not been on any really wet roads yet. I did take Mountain View Road from Manchester back toward 101. This road is like 25 miles of narrow tight turns with a few switchbacks thrown in. The Storms worked really well.

Still no more wobble even with a 35lb hitch weight. I really like these tires.

EB-Larry

Top Bottom