Avon ST's Not Approved For ST1300 - What About Continental?

I've got to have some tires before my long vacation trip in mid-July. I'd like to go with the Avon ST's, but after a call to the company, they are not yet approved for the ST1300 (they are for the ST1100). It's possible they'll get approval before I need them. If they do, I'm going to give them a try. But, if they don't...

I will not go with Dunlops... may go with Battleaxes (that's what I'm riding now). However, has anyone heard of or, have any information on the Continental Road Attacks? Is this an option?

Just thought I'd ask...

Thanks,

Elmo

Last edited:
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I just got back from a 300+ ride on my new BT021's and am very happy with them. I started out inthe rain as I left Canton on the slab. Once south of New Philadelphia the rain stopped and the temp got up to 79. I hit some good twisties as I headed into the Hocking Hills area to scout a site for OhioStoc and these tires are every bit as good as the Z6's they replaced. They are also quieter in turns and on the straightaways. Now the only thing left is longevity.

STOC #
Hey Elmo,

What's your beef with the Dunlops? Just curious. I'm about to change tires and I've got the Dunlop D220 Sports. If I only need a front tire I will stick with another Dunlop until I need to replace the pair. If I need two tires then I am considering another brand but not because I am disappointed in the Dunny's. I have 8500 miles and they've cupped on the front but I usually expect that on a heavier motorcycle. I would like to have tried the new Avon's also but I don't know if they'll be available in about a month when I put new tire(s) on the ST.

David

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hey Elmo,

What's your beef with the Dunlops?
You'll find these tires are nearly universally disliked by ST1300 riders. I had Dunlops on a previous bike and would not buy them again. There are better choices...Bridgestone, Metzeler, Michelin to name 3.

OP
OP
Elmo
Hey Elmo,

What's your beef with the Dunlops? Just curious. I'm about to change tires and I've got the Dunlop D220 Sports. If I only need a front tire I will stick with another Dunlop until I need to replace the pair. If I need two tires then I am considering another brand but not because I am disappointed in the Dunny's. I have 8500 miles and they've cupped on the front but I usually expect that on a heavier motorcycle. I would like to have tried the new Avon's also but I don't know if they'll be available in about a month when I put new tire(s) on the ST.

David

David,

I got 9,400 miles out of my original Dunlops. The back tire had some tread left on it, but it was to the point that I would have been nervous in the rain. The front still had tread, but had cupped very badly. However, as strange as it may sound, I didn't notice it in the "ride" of the bike... just a visual observation. I did not have a problem whatsoever with the "feel" of the Dunlops.

I usually ride anywhere from 15K to 18K per year and I'm looking for the highest mileage tire that I can find. At this point, I believe the Battleaxes are going to outwear the Dunlops. I ran Avons on my previous two Valkyries and they got much better distance than the Dunlops. I know we're talking about two very different machines here, but the wear factor may be somewhat proportionate. We'll see...

As far as the Continentals, I've just heard about them and I thought I'd see if anybody has got any news to share... I don't even know if they come in the sizes we need. I have not heard them mentioned before on this site.

Elmo

Last edited:
I fitted a Conti Sport Attack to the back of my bike after a puncture damaged the membrane on the Dunlop and it wasn't repairable. I've done about 3000km (2000miles) on it so far and it seems a better tyre although it is feathering a bit on the edges of the grooves and it's hard to tell what sort of life I will get from it.

A chap here in Wellington, NZ has just fitted a pair of the new Avon Storm to an FJR after using Avon ST's and Conti Sport Attacks and is very impressed with the new tyre after being "Underwhelmed" by the Sport Attack.

Our roads are very different to those in the USA being a mixture of hotmix or rough course seal on country roads, so I don't know what affect that would have on tyre life and performance.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I have used Continental's in the past on a 76 R90/6. They were fine tires at that time. Many BMW riders used them at the time. I haven't used them since and haven't heard many using them on the ST. I did look at their web site but didn't see much that made me want to try them.:03biker:

If you want tires that are "approved" by Honda, you've only got two choices, in the US anyway: Dunlop D220F and Bridgestone BT020F. Both are specifically designed and built for the ST. I think what really matters is the load rating and the non-"F" tires have a lower load rating. I assume other brands also lack the load capacity that Honda wants for us. BTW, the specs are front: 59W and rear: 72W. (I have no idea what the numbers mean, but the higher the number the greater the load capacity.) Various manufacturers may be understandably reluctant to recommend a tire that does not meet Honda's specs for fear of lawsuits. :eek:

I normally have Metzeller Z6 on the bike. My new bike was fitted with bridgestone o2o's and compared to the Z6's were dreadful. No feel in the dry and no grip in the wet. After 1000k I bought some new Z6's and can't rave about them enough. They are funny in as much as for the first 500k or so they feel like they have no sidewall and wander all over the place. After they they are stable, grippy and long lasting. In the wet, the only thing you need slow down for is diesel on the road etc.
Fully recommended - especially as I get 18-20k out of them at 70mph + speeds.
Huck

Another ST1300 list <groups.msn.com/ST1300US> has a recent posting about the Metzler ME880 tires. Many folks have used the 880 radial on the rear, but the front size radial was not available. Apparently now it is and the load rating is appropriate, too! So this looks like another option for the high-mileage riders.

Byron

STOC #
I wish I was closer to completion on a write-up I am working on about tires. To boil it down as best I can the ST1300 needs to be fitted with a 120/70ZR18 (59W) front tire and a 170/60ZR17 (72W) rear tire. That simply means that Honda had the companies change something in the tire from the generic perduction tire. But either tire will still have to comply with the fitment listed on the Federal sticker. Tires are manufactured to certain specifications dealing with size, load capabilities and speed rating. They also use different compounds in the tread to gain traction or extend longevity. As many have reported certain tires have certain ride characteristics and life expectancies. The bottom line is simply this. If the tire meets the specifications listed on the sticker on the left side of the frame neck then it would be considered safe for the bike.

Tires are built and certified to carry the weight at whatever the speed rating is and it's molding into the sidewall. The tire manufacture may or may not have tested each tire on every possible bike, or car for that matter, but it doesn't mean that the tire is not approved because they haven't.

New tires lines are released before testing can be done on all vehicles or may never be done, their choice. But before they can be released for sale they have to under go testing for their specified rating. So if you are worried whether or not a certain tire is safe to use on the ST1300 check the specifications. If it is listed as a 120/70ZR18 (59W) or a 170/60ZR17 (72W) you are good to go. Whether or not you are happy with the tires performance is a totally different story.

I like several others on this site have bought new tires that were not in the tire manufactures online fitment charts. Also, in todays litigious world do you think a company is going to say a tire is safe to use on a vehicle that they have not personally tested it on? But they won't hesitate to sell it to you so go figure.

Personally I feel the new Avon Storm ST's are a better tire than the Azaro line they replaced. I only have about 1,500 miles on them though so desired life expectancy is still up in the air.

The bottom line is YOU have to be comfortable with your DECISION.

Happy Shopping! :D

The only government testing required is DOT testing to meet the speed rating and the load rating. It consists of testing tires by pressing the against large diameter (14 feet, I think) rotating drums with different loads. This is for carcass integrity. Based on the tire size and designation, standards stipulate the speed rating and load rating.

OEM tires undergo extensive testing on bikes for stability, handling and mileage. This is done by the motorcycle manufacturer many times in concert with the tire manufacturer. Replacement tires are usually tested on a few bikes. It would be impossible to test every tire size a manufacturer offers on every motorcycle. As most of us have found out on one bike or another, sometimes the OEM tires are the best, sometimes replacement tires are better.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you want tires that are "approved" by Honda, you've only got two choices, in the US anyway: Dunlop D220F and Bridgestone BT020F. Both are specifically designed and built for the ST. I think what really matters is the load rating and the non-"F" tires have a lower load rating. I assume other brands also lack the load capacity that Honda wants for us. BTW, the specs are front: 59W and rear: 72W. (I have no idea what the numbers mean, but the higher the number the greater the load capacity.) Various manufacturers may be understandably reluctant to recommend a tire that does not meet Honda's specs for fear of lawsuits. :eek:
Honda specifies load ratings of 59W for the front and 72W rear. This corresponds to a load index of 536 and 783 lbs respectively. These specs are found in three places I know of: the federal sticker on the steering tube, the ST1300 owners manual, and the Honda ST1300 service manual. Any motorcycle tire in the correct size and speed rating with these load ratings meet Honda's specs for the ST1300. Honda chose OEM rear tires with a 73W (805 lbs) load rating for OEM fitment although replacement tires need only to meet 72W.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another ST1300 list <groups.msn.com/ST1300US> has a recent posting about the Metzler ME880 tires. Many folks have used the 880 radial on the rear, but the front size radial was not available. Apparently now it is and the load rating is appropriate, too! So this looks like another option for the high-mileage riders.
The ME880 radial rear tire is not Z speed rated and does not meet Honda's specification in this regard. The front tire size does meet all spec.

I recently contacted Avon here in the UK for an update. I got a response today -
"We have found some instability issues with this bike at high speed, especially when laden. Because we are aware of these issues, cannot at the moment recommend Avon tyres as a fitment.
Sorry about that. We are working on a new tyre but it may be a few months away."
I am pleased with their honest response and look forward to them being successful! I'l stick with Bridgestone for now but will try Avon when a "recommended" tyre appears.
At the end of the day the choice is yours!
Regards,
Trog

STOC #
Barry:

Want to ride an ST with the Pilot Roads? I know it's a Blue one and you might not be able to handle the extra speed but................. I can always pull one of the sparkplug wires ;+)

I'm getting 8-10k miles on the Pilot Roads and have "zero" complaints. The Avons and the "B-stones" I had complaints about tar snakes and general stability IMHO.

Time2Work
Neil S.

Top Bottom