Bad Experience with a Shinko 011 Verge

Bike
2007 ST1300
Back in August, I started this thread on front tire wear.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/front-tire-wear.181392/

This is a follow-up to that post. I had noticed more wear on the left side of my high-mileage front tire than on the right side. Early on, speaking to Igofar, he asked if my bike pulled in one direction or another. In fact, my bike tended to pull right at highway speeds if I lifted my hands from the bars with the throttle lock engaged. He suggested I check my fork alignment to see if the front axle was binding and by gosh, it was. I made an adjustment to the right fork height so that when the axel was inserted between the forks with no tire or fender installed, I could easily slip the axel in and rotate it between my fingers with no binding.

He also said he had been having good luck with Shinko 011 Verge tires, so I ordered one of those for the front replacement. Once installed, I went for a ride and tested whether the bike still pulled right at highway speed. That issue was much improved. At 65 mph I could lift my hands from the bars and stay straight with a bit of body English if needed. However, when the bike slowed to the 40-50 mph range, there was noticeable head shake when I lifted my hands. This was something new with this tire that had not occurred previously.

Consulting with Igofar, he thought the front tire may not have seated properly when inflated so I pulled the tire, broke the bead, and inflated it again. The same issue occurred. In fact, I did this once more with the same result. I double-checked that my wheel bearings were good, the tire was properly balanced, and, that my torque values were correct on the brake calipers and axel. I decided to ride it for a while and see if it got any better with some miles on the tire.

It didn’t. I put 1,400 miles on the Shinko, and it only got worse. I had about 10,000 on my rear tire so I decided to buy a set both front and rear on the off chance the Shinko was simply a bad tire. I ordered a set of Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT’s. I installed the new tires today. I put the rear tire on first and went for a test ride. It still had the head shake at 40-50 mph. Then I installed the front and tested it. Full joy!! The bike had no head shake at any speed and went straight when lifting my hands from the bars. I was a vast improvement. I’m glad it turned out to be a bad tire as I was thinking about getting a different bike if I couldn’t fix it.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Every manufacturer makes the odd poor quality tire. You should try to get a full or partial refund if possible.
I'm also using the Battlax T tires. I've got the 31's . These are my first new tires for this bike and I will probably stick with them as they feel good at any speed and seem to last a good amount of mileage so far. The price point has me hooked also. :)

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Some people like then. I put one on rear.It was a few years ,but got awe full service life out of the rear.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
My verge 011 did not pull however I did experience head shake at 45-55 mph. I attributed that to the different profile design on the shinko. Wear was normal and I changed it out at just shy of 10k not because of the wear but I was tired of the head shake. The new michelin is purrfect.
I had the same thing happen to me with a Shinko front tire.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
After several sets of Shinko 011 Verge tires, I have had nothing but 20k + miles of problem free riding. IMHO, this tire was as good a previous set of Michelin PR4’s, in fact they are slightly stickier in the wet. As far as mileage, on par with every other tire out there for this bike that just chews through tires like there Skittles. Oh yeah, and all of this at a fraction of the cost (I typically save $120-$150 on the set) of the Big Brands. This Shinko IS a player. YMMV.

@Ron_WI, sorry for your troubles. Glad you got it sorted. This may have been a case of bad luck, which can happen with any tire purchase.

I agree with @Esti1300 ... my experience with the Shinko front tire was "no problems".

Understandably, there are a number of variables that can contribute to odd tire wear and feedback.

Considering the OP had another bike issue probably contributed to the demise of the tire. Once a tire wears incorrectly, it can not be automagically corrected

Bike
R1200rt
read enough post , here and other places, you will find riders have had bad experiences with just about all tire manufactures out there.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The fact that you did have head shake, would want me to make sure the steering head bearings are in tip top shape. Put the bike on the centre stand get the front wheel off the ground and turn the bars lock to lock slowly and see if you feel any notchiness in the process. If you do, it’s time to check the torque on the bearings or replace them. If you end up replacing the bearings, re-torque them after 600 miles.
If you have over 60k miles on your bike I suspect the bearings are shot. They are supposed to be re-torqued at the first service interval from new, that is often neglected, hence worn out bearings at the 60k mark.

Bike
VStrom 650
Back in August, I started this thread on front tire wear.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/front-tire-wear.181392/

This is a follow-up to that post. I had noticed more wear on the left side of my high-mileage front tire than on the right side. Early on, speaking to Igofar, he asked if my bike pulled in one direction or another. In fact, my bike tended to pull right at highway speeds if I lifted my hands from the bars with the throttle lock engaged. He suggested I check my fork alignment to see if the front axle was binding and by gosh, it was. I made an adjustment to the right fork height so that when the axel was inserted between the forks with no tire or fender installed, I could easily slip the axel in and rotate it between my fingers with no binding.

He also said he had been having good luck with Shinko 011 Verge tires, so I ordered one of those for the front replacement. Once installed, I went for a ride and tested whether the bike still pulled right at highway speed. That issue was much improved. At 65 mph I could lift my hands from the bars and stay straight with a bit of body English if needed. However, when the bike slowed to the 40-50 mph range, there was noticeable head shake when I lifted my hands. This was something new with this tire that had not occurred previously.

Consulting with Igofar, he thought the front tire may not have seated properly when inflated so I pulled the tire, broke the bead, and inflated it again. The same issue occurred. In fact, I did this once more with the same result. I double-checked that my wheel bearings were good, the tire was properly balanced, and, that my torque values were correct on the brake calipers and axel. I decided to ride it for a while and see if it got any better with some miles on the tire.

It didn’t. I put 1,400 miles on the Shinko, and it only got worse. I had about 10,000 on my rear tire so I decided to buy a set both front and rear on the off chance the Shinko was simply a bad tire. I ordered a set of Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT’s. I installed the new tires today. I put the rear tire on first and went for a test ride. It still had the head shake at 40-50 mph. Then I installed the front and tested it. Full joy!! The bike had no head shake at any speed and went straight when lifting my hands from the bars. I was a vast improvement. I’m glad it turned out to be a bad tire as I was thinking about getting a different bike if I couldn’t fix it.
The head shake was probably 100% the tyre. I had similar with an Avon ST front, went back to T32's and it was cured.
Sometimes a little extra spend is a good thing.
Well done for sorting it.
Upt'North.

Never had an issue with Shinko... we all have different experiences with tires.

There are folks who swear by xxxx tire, which I've had, and had a catastrophic failure

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Best I can tell you is that when I switched out the Shinko for a Bridgestone, the problem was resolved.
Your problem may have gone away when you switched tires simply because you removed and re-seated a tire better on the second attempt.
I've seen/had several tires that failed to seat correctly on the bead, whether it was dirty, grabby, or crooked, cause head shake and vibrations etc.
My personal Shinko front tire had a small shake around 45 mph, until I removed the tire, cleaned the rim, then made sure I used the correct tire paste (not soap or windex etc) and the bead popped on in two loud quick pops! All shake and vibrations completely vanished, and the tire is dead smooth up to very stupid triple digit speeds.
I've watched dealerships, and bike shops seat beads, where they popped multiple times before completely seating. Some sounded like popcorn being made.
When clean and lubricated correctly, your tire should just pop ONE time per side.
:WCP1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've watched dealerships, and bike shops seat beads, where they popped multiple times before completely seating. Some sounded like popcorn being made.
When clean and lubricated correctly, your tire should just pop ONE time per side.
back in the '80s I had a tire mounted at a local dealership and the kid working on it just couldn't get it to balance on their spin balance machine. He called the manager over for help, and the balancer was giving him the same crazy readings. So he pulled the tire off the rim and reached inside the tire and extracted a full handful of mounting lube, plus about another half handful. Then the tire balanced properly. Never went back there for another tire.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Never went back there for another tire.
Tire work usually goes to the lowest man on the totem pole in most shops. And I have seen it go wrong several times. I only allow one guy to do my tires (owner of the shop),, and I supervise, kinda, while he does it. Still things can go wrong,,, like when he was trying out his new improved sealer/lube, recently. He also put on too much,,, not a blob,,, but just brushed it on too thick with the supplied brush. Everything seemed fine,, as I installed and aligned the wheel, as normal. Then,,, off I go for a slow short test ride,,, to get some gas. The tire rotated about 6 inches on the rim,,, as measured by the yellow dot that was installed at the valve stem. Doing some reading,, I found a warning to not use a brush for the lube. Instead,, a small kitchen sink sponge was recommended,,, to prevent too thick a film. Also,,, I don't use beads anymore,,, although they have worked well for me in the past. Can you imagine what beads and tire lube could combine to create inside your tire ?? CAt'

ps: kind of related,,, I once had a liter or so of compressor condensated water in my Trans-am's front tire !! That one had the tire installer scratching his head !!!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I’ve been using a wax application pad with good results.
The local BMW shop started using some new and improved lube with a brush, and I’ve seen a couple tires slip as you have.
I use Hunters tire paste, with a film left by the pad that just darkens the tire, that is enough.
Also rub the rim and bead area once around.
A warm tire will also seat much better than a cold one.
The nice thing about the hunter paste is that it dries and seals the bead and does not remain slippery allow the tire to spin.
Slippery tires on tube tires (dirt bikes) will rip out the valve stems.

Top Bottom