Bad Experience with a Shinko 011 Verge

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Good quality tire installation paste, as opposed to soap and water, windex, or whatever, chemically changes from a slippery lubricant to facilitate tire installation to a sticky paste designed to help prevent tire rotation on the rim. It does so in a matter of minutes. There is a reason beyond not causing corrosion that proper tire paste should be used.

I am on my third set of Verge 011 tires. They perform just as well for me as the Pilot 4 tires that I was using previously, but at less than 2/3 of the price. I have had only one problem- one rear tire that was porous- it constantly lost air. Then again, I have also had a porous front rim from Honda on one of my brand new ST1100's so, every manufacturer has some small percentage of defects I guess.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Cleaning the bead area of the rim of grime and rubber residue facilitates an easy mount and prevents slow leaks later.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
my first 011 had no problems and was replaced with another which had no problems until my cousin hit a pot hole and bent the front rim, messed up a cord or two in the tire also

Bike
2009 ST1300
if you've got a leaking tire, and you're adding air you're adding water; a leaking tire get's what ever water vapor is in the air; when it condenses, and it does, it doesn't leak out, like the air, because the air leak is most often at the rim, where the water never reaches; you never blow the water back out, so it accumulates.
Hey, if you were just driving around a horrible jeep, [like you've just decided to give up] I wouldn't even say this, but you need two good nitrogen filled recent decent good quality tyres if you want to survive

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
...... but you need two good nitrogen filled recent decent good quality tyres if you want to survive
Good tires, yes. Good rims, yes. Nitrogen, one of the biggest tom-foolery marketing schemes ever introduced to the maintenance requirements of street vehicles. The biggest benefit using nitrogen provides to the street rider is that it is very well filtered and has a very low moisture content as a result of the process of producing it. When it was first introduced shops used to charge extra to fill tires with nitrogen, and unbelievably people paid for it. If you get your tires filled with it without having to pay extra for it then sure, why not. If you have to pay for it, no thanks. Any air compressor with a run-of-the-mill decent filter and water separator, which isn't expensive, provides you with everything that your pneumatic tire needs to operate way beyond the limits that it will ever be subjected to on the street.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've run a couple sets of Shinko Verge 011's. Had issues with air loss daily on the rear. Installed Dunlop Roadsmart III on the rear a few months ago and lose couple psi every two months. Huge improvement over the Shinko experience. The front didn't wobble until something like 7k on the Shinko front tire.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Again….stiff sidewalls, must be cleaned for bead to seat correctly, with tire paste etc.
Folks sometimes think Dunlop or Michelin are better because the are softer and more forgiving when mounting on a dirty rim etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom