Bad Health

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Sadly, I have just heard from my GP that I have bad arthritis in both hips and have been referred for both being replaced. This will take at least 2 years to sort out, so, with great regret, my truSTy 1100 will be up for sale soon as I find her too uncomfortable to ride now and I am worried that I cannot hold her up when coming to a stop. I have had a lot of pain in my right leg for some time now and the knee is also very painful. I will get something smaller and lighter for a while as I cannot imagine life without a motorcycle of some sort in my life after being on them for 56 years.

Once I have cleaned her up, I will post details on here with details of all the extras I have fitted in the last five years of ownership, so keep your eyes on the forum if you are looking for one of these superb motorcycles.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
One of the things my GP expressly told me not to do, back in 1999, was ride motorcycles any more. Despite not having ridden one for about 15 years, I immediately went out and bought an ST1100. I'm still riding, although I have acquiesced a little and have a bike with DCT. My current ST (a 1300) has been laid up a while.

I can well understand that you can't imagine life without a bike and I'm sure you'll find something lighter and kinder to your hips and knee. For example, the 750cc superscooters like the Integra and Forza look comfy, and all gearchanging and braking is done by hand. And they have motorcycle-size wheels!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. The good news is these are pretty much routine nowadays. You might reach out to bionic @Uncle Phil (PM him). He's gone through a number of joint replacements and has spoken about them in several threads.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Get well soon! As Hound says, there seems to be a lot of nice ,easy riding ,powerfull alternatives these days

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, after having both knees replaced, both shoulders replaced, 6 wrist surgeries to rebuild/repair them, and 3 elbow surgeries I am thankful to still be able ride.
And so far, I'm still riding ST1100s.
From what they told me in 'joint replacement' class, hip replacements are one of the few surgeries that you get instant relief from.
I'm a bit surprised at the two-year timetable since I had my shoulder replacements done 90 days apart (as soon as the first one was functional enough). :think1: Just a thought - if you go out a crank her (the ST1100) once a week and let her run a little bit, the carbs will be fine (BTDT - lots of times! ;))
With good therapy you might still be fine on a ST1100 like me. :biggrin:
Good luck on however you choose to deal with it!

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Ecca, sorry to hear of your woes. It wasn't exacerbated by Northeners asking you to fetch parts from NL hopefully? Who was that :think1:, oh yes, oops.
Here's hoping you get fixed up ASAP in messed up old blighty and there are plenty of lightweight rides out there that should make riding easier. Sorry again bud.
Ray.

OP
OP
Bikeric
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Well, after having both knees replaced, both shoulders replaced, 6 wrist surgeries to rebuild/repair them, and 3 elbow surgeries I am thankful to still be able ride.
And so far, I'm still riding ST1100s.
From what they told me in 'joint replacement' class, hip replacements are one of the few surgeries that you get instant relief from.
I'm a bit surprised at the two-year timetable since I had my shoulder replacements done 90 days apart (as soon as the first one was functional enough). :think1: Just a thought - if you go out a crank her (the ST1100) once a week and let her run a little bit, the carbs will be fine (BTDT - lots of times! ;))
With good therapy you might still be fine on a ST1100 like me. :biggrin:
Good luck on however you choose to deal with it!
Thanks Uncle Phil, but I also have a bad back and sciatica following a diskectomy in 1988, so I think it's time to get something a bit lighter as I no longer trust myself with the ST. I will take your advice about starting her up and will also put Sea Foam into the tank.... I hoto stay a member of the forum as you are a great bunch on here..

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
Sadly, I have just heard from my GP that I have bad arthritis in both hips and have been referred for both being replaced. This will take at least 2 years to sort out, so, with great regret, my truSTy 1100 will be up for sale soon as I find her too uncomfortable to ride now and I am worried that I cannot hold her up when coming to a stop. I have had a lot of pain in my right leg for some time now and the knee is also very painful. I will get something smaller and lighter for a while as I cannot imagine life without a motorcycle of some sort in my life after being on them for 56 years.

Once I have cleaned her up, I will post details on here with details of all the extras I have fitted in the last five years of ownership, so keep your eyes on the forum if you are looking for one of these superb motorcycles.
Sorry about this Eric. I think you are making the right decision. It's not worth taking any unnecessary risks. Once a biker, always a biker :slv13:. I'm sure you will soon be back on 2. Good luck!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Sometimes when a door is closed, a window is opened.
I pray your windows are tall and wide, and you can ride through them to any view you wish.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
You have lots of very nice choices in bikes in the UK (why not in the US???!!!)- I agree a higher displacement scooter may be a good substitute, like a Forza that you don’t have to throw the leg over and I would assume is a lot lighter and easier to handle. I know we’re all getting older with time and can’t ride indefinitely, but I want to put that day off for as long as possible.

I consider the Silverwing to be ‘old man bike’ but at 600 cc, it’s decent enough for my speed and acceleration needs and when the day comes that I can’t handle the STs any longer, that’ll be the primary ride.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Uncle Phil, but I also have a bad back and sciatica following a diskectomy in 1988, so I think it's time to get something a bit lighter as I no longer trust myself with the ST. I will take your advice about starting her up and will also put Sea Foam into the tank.... I hope to stay a member of the forum as you are a great bunch on here..
Even if you ain't riding, ain't no reason to disappear - family is family even if there is a crazy uncle! :biggrin:
Old 'Arthur' is a constant companion - he's just not a pleasant one! ;)
The back stuff does make a big difference dealing with the weight.
Fortunately for me, monthly visits to a good chiropractor has kept that part of me out of needing surgical repairs.
I don't remember the weight of the new Guzzi Mandello (looks to be a shade over 500 lbs), but it sures looks like a nice touring ride!

Last edited:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
.............so I think it's time to get something a bit lighter as I no longer trust myself with the ST.....................
There are many much lighter bikes out there that are great alternatives to the ST. I'm finishing up my 3rd season on my Tracer GT. Great bike.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
And there's always a plethora of decent scooters and 3 wheeled vehicles. No shame in any of those.

You can take the bike from under the biker, and a biker from underneath a bike (hopefully this never happens!).... but you're still always a biker, and always welcome here!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Sorry to hear the news that you need hip surgery. I also have heard that it's instant relief and the recovery time is minimal.
Funny how we all are extremely aware and get disappointed discovering a health concern that might affect our enjoyment riding bikes. :)
I've had two lower back fusions already and still struggle riding my bike. Now I'm dealing with carpal tunnel symptoms when riding, getting old is fun. :)
I've contemplated selling my 2008 ST1300 lately as well. Not fun thoughts, but may be necessary.
Take care and hope your surgery goes well.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Eric, I know next to nothing about your national health service, but I want to make one point. There are good painters, plumbers, tree trimmers, doctors, and surgeons, and there are bad ones. Over here, if you live in a large city (or want to travel) you can chose your surgeon, picking the best in the field for difficult conditions. I'd urge you to do your due diligence, and choose accordingly. @Uncle Phil happens to live in an area with a lot of excellent medical facilities, and knows the difference that I'm talking about. Larry also mentioned he had found an excellent surgeon for his back out in Arizona.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you will find many more other joys in this life.
My health is not that good either and for the last couple of weeks i need to take few different medications.
I read all the detailed description of them on canada drugs website and looks like alcohol is not my friend anymore, which is a pity.

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I've had both hips replaced, right one 12 years ago, left one 15 months ago. Ask me anything.

I was walking without walker, cane, etc., by my three-week checkup with both of them.

OP
OP
Bikeric
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I've had both hips replaced, right one 12 years ago, left one 15 months ago. Ask me anything.

I was walking without walker, cane, etc., by my three-week checkup with both of them.
Thanks Larry, I appreciate that. Can't think of anything at present, but may well come back to you if I think of something to ask.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
sorry to read this..however it doesn't mean it has to be the end of your riding carer

My wife has had both hips and both knees replaced and can no longer mount a regular motorcycle so she moved on to a Yamaha XMAX 300 scooter which she can step thru rather than having to swing a leg over.

Since you're from Europe I assume you can get the Yamaha T Max, Kymko 550 or BMW 650 scooter some of which we can't get here (would have loved to have gotten her a T MAX 500)

As far as lighter weight for now, my ST/FJR was getting heavy for me and at 71 and being a smaller person (in height) I traded my FJR in on a '21 Honda NC750X DCT. I'm about to turn over 34,000 miles on it in the next day or so. A little over 200# lighter than the ST but feels even lighter than that. The DCT trans is brilliant, and I average 74 miles per gallon. It trips just fine (You can get factory hard luggage for it if you want)

Mine with soft luggage (keeping it light and versatile)

with Honda hard luggage

1695129517454.png
with Givi gear

1695129464207.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom