Bad Luck or What!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
VERY glad it wasn't the belt (somehow I didn't think it would be as, from what I know, the only belt failure was secondary to a seized water pump bearing on a police bike). I hope the issue is easy to find and correct.

By the way, I want to check my belt- is it as easy as taking off the service cover and the front of the valve cover (that which covers the belt)? Thanks for any information you have.

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
By the way, I want to check my belt- is it as easy as taking off the service cover and the front of the valve cover (that which covers the belt)? Thanks for any information you have.
It's two screws on the front of the silver cover (allens, oh and that cover is plastic) and three on the belt/cam gear cover under that. I figured I had to know, so I found an easy way to it. Not sure how easy it is to get back on, but ... it couldn't be too bad.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
That is good news.

Just a thought, does your bike still have the vacuum shutoff installed?

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
That is good news.

Just a thought, does your bike still have the vacuum shutoff installed?
I bought it, checked a few things, fixed a few others and rode it for the last 24+ K. So the answer is probably.
I've seen reference here for it (a few posts back), but haven't found it in the manual - help! LOL!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...does your bike still have the vacuum shutoff installed?
I can only advise to check this part regularly (whilst I don't advocate its removal...)

That one was in my '94 with 194Tkm/121Kmiles on...

No, it did not cause fuel problems yet (but I'm positive would have soon...), but it obviously went 'unseen' by several mechs who simply 'adjusted' the carb sync 'compensating' that leak there...

Img_1789 6x45.jpg

Fixed it with a diaphragm kit from NRP during the complete overhaul, engine runs smooth like new again...

OP
OP
Aladinbama
Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Here are some pictures from when I had a slight issue with mine while on a trip.

LINKY
<----- VERY EMBARRASSED!
And I LOVE You Mark (just not in that don't ask don't tell sort of way :) )
I also GREATLY appreciate everyboody else here. I don't know what I would do without Forums like these - there is a TON of information and helpful people here.
It was the fuel vacuum petcock. I bypassed it (actually easier to take it off) and the BeaST started right up. Since we do have temp variations from time to time here I will be rebuilding it to avoid potential issues, but for now it's running again.
What started as a MAJOR expense turned into a $30 rebuild kit. Now I just have to remind myself how lucky I was and make sure I set aside time during Spring Break to change that timing belt and WP.
Thanks Again Everybody! And another Thank You to Mark for posting his info.
(now I'll just leave with my tail tucked between my legs)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
WOOHOO, its great when things turn out for the best like that. So I guess it wasn't Bad Luck after all.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
That is a fair doge of the bullet, well more of an artillery shell....

Glad you got it fixed up and hope you mange that belt change in the near future!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I wouldn't be too embarrassed as most of us have missed or done something foolish with our bikes!

Glad to be of help too!

Top Bottom