Bad News about the HEAT

Tailgunner

R.I.P. - 2012/05/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Also being in Tucson, the only time I really notice the heat (from the bike ;) ) is at a stop. That being said, I do wear full boots and perhaps that helps. I only have the mirror deflectors but hope one day to be able to install the full deflector set.

I test rode a Buell some time back. Talk about heat issue! I honestly thought my right pant leg was on fire at one point.

Bike
white st1300
I Road all summer not feeling to much heat then it got way hot felt like boots were going to melt. Dealer replaced thermistat its been 2 years and 40,000 miles and starting to get hot again i replaced thermistat & hope that works. How do you know if your radiator is bad?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I Road all summer not feeling to much heat then it got way hot felt like boots were going to melt. Dealer replaced thermistat its been 2 years and 40,000 miles and starting to get hot again i replaced thermistat & hope that works. How do you know if your radiator is bad?
The temp gauge on the dash shouldn't show more than 3 bars. If the radiator is bad it only fails two ways - it leaks or it is clogged. Either way the coolant temp will increase from usual 3 bars.

My 03' ST was wonderful in the winter. I rode it home from WV to NC at 28 degrees. I use heated clothing, but 28 is still 28. The ST was torture in the summer. Any outside temp over 80, and I dreaded the commute home from work. I wore very good Sidi boots, and even crafted my own heat shields that I attached to the fairing. I don't really care what anyone else says about the ST's heat. Mine was hot, and empirically so. This was not a subjective judgment. Hot was hot. So, I sold it. My current ride, a CBR1100xx, also runs warm and has a reputation for doing do, but the heat is no where near the ST. I loved my ST for so many reasons. In fact, there is a perfect 03' with 3k miles for sale for $6k, just up the road. But I wont buy it because of the heat, and because it's kind of a whale.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Because you don't have the problem doesn't mean it don't exist.

I've been riding for close to 40 years now....I've owned several bikes and have ridden many more.

Just because you don't have the problem doesn't mean it's not a problem.
I have done most every mentioned here to reduce the heat:
-Wrapped the headers
-Throttle body sync
-Removed the inner cowls
-Bought aftermarket exhausts
-I am ATGATT and have tried different boots

My ST runs HOT, and I have ridden other ST's that don't run near as hot as mine, like 2 different bikes.
I have no idea why some ST's are hot and some aren't, that's the big puzzle here.

Please stop attacking people who obviously have a problem you don't.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have been reading this thread and I have had the opposite observation. I ride in Miami and this summer was HOT HOT HOT 90's and low triple digits. I only wear boots on my days off and I try to wear armor jacket and gloves (both mesh, I don't own anything else.) I notice heat but its no worse then whats comming off the pavement. But give me a nice cool day or night to ride and I feel like my ankles and shins are being welded. It's only on the cool days I have to move my legs to prevent what feels like imminent spontaneous combustion.

Top Bottom