Bad News about the HEAT

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Pred8tor said:
I agree, with the exception that I don't believe it's been proven that some STs produce more heat than others. As far as I can tell, from the factory all STs produce identical heat.

If your ST feels "too hot" to you, while my ST does not, the issue is not the bike, but the individual rider. Obviously the bike does produce heat. The majority aren't bothered, while others are.

Seems to me not allowing this point to be expressed disallows the most logical explanation of the whole "heat issue". In a post complaining about the heat, that's a substantial limitation to discussion.
Correct Jeff, the only test I can remember is one done by Mark Lawrence and NormanPCN. Norman was bothered by the heat and Mark wasn't. Here are the results as best I can remember:
They instrumented both bikes with temp sensors and swapped bikes. The results were no difference between the bikes.
Norman is you see this post and can add or correct what I have said please jump in.
Unless anybody can prove otherwise I will continue to believe there is no difference between individual ST1300's.

Phil

Bob Hughes

Grounhog One
I bought my '05 with 4,000 miles on it from a great guy and numerous bike owner who thought that it was very hot. He had insulated under the seat and removed the inner cowls and he planned on doing more to solve his problem if he kept the bike.

I rode it for a few 2 hour rides with the cowls out and the insulation in and found no heat for me. So I removed all of the insulation and reinstalled the inner cowls and took it out for 4 or 5 hours with a short stop for lunch and was never bothered by heat at all.

Same bike. I do ride with the seat all of the way up and he rode with it lowered. That's all the difference that I can see between us. Go figure.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
ajpags said:
Folks,

Can I please ask a simple favor? If YOU don't have a problem with the heat, please stop telling those that do that it's a matter of tolerance, etc.

Naturally it's about tolerance. Firewalkers have a greater tolerance for heat than I do too. MY bike, and Dennis' bike have a heat issue - perceived or otherwise if that makes you feel better. We want to share ideas on how to alleviate the problem.

We all love the bike - some of us want to make it better for us. If you don't have a problem, bypass these threads.

Thanks...
Pags
Why? When we could possibly help...

If you look through my posts you will find that I at one point had an issue with heat and thanks to others who had work arounds I no longer do.

Not to muddy the waters here, but is there any correlation between Air Fuel (AF) ratios and the amount of heat ? If a bike is running lean it will run hotter. Maybe those with the new FPR's will chime in and comment if that change had an effect on heat.

I have an 04, with no more heat than I expect from a bike, but then I have two teenagers at home which may make me more tolerant and numb.

My mechanic neighbor has an HD that he has traced his heat issue to running lean after a pipe change but no fuel injection re-map.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I have a FPR installed... no difference in heat, but I never notice it anyway :) I now notice nice grunt factor in lower gears... :cool:

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Just got done reading the new Motorcyclist magazine, wherein they had an article about 4 writer/riders riding 4 different liter sportbikes on a trip to Laguna Seca this year. As you remember, it was quite hot that week.

I found it interesting that at least 3 out of the four riders had a sentence complaining about the heat the bikes gave off. The funniest one described the heat as akin to "sitting on a George Foreskin Grill.":eek: :D

Last edited:

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
tccox said:
OK , Its a deal as long as those WITH heat problems quit saying its a design problem with the bike. It's not. Some STs apparently produce more heat than others.
Well, this may be true, but Yamaha must have thought the heat issue was a design problem in the FJR since they redesigned the bike so there is less or no heat issue on the 06 model. I think some people think Honda possibly could do the same. They won't but is it possible?

JDP

jdpfms said:
Well, this may be true, but Yamaha must have thought the heat issue was a design problem in the FJR since they redesigned the bike so there is less or no heat issue on the 06 model. I think some people think Honda possibly could do the same. They won't but is it possible?

JDP
+1, :clap2:

I am a new ST rider and while I find the heat to be welcome on the 25 mile ride to work before sun up about 50-60 degrees . I find it a bit annoying at 4:00pm going back at 80-100+ degrees over a 6000ft mountain pass.
I wish I had a way to use it or lose it at will.
I am considering wraping the headers.

Mike

I have a 2005 with headers wraped. The last few days it's been about 60 degrees. I own a digital readout infared temp gauge. My aluminum chassis right next to my foot brake is runung about 120 degrees now. I can feel exactly when the radiator opens as the air coming out from the triangle in front of the heads instantly goes up about 50 degrees as it does. When the fans turn on, the air goes up to about 140. After about an hour even in jeans my shins start to sting even after I get off the bike. I could take a temp on my shins/jeans next time.

Now what I did that really helps. I went to Sports Authority and got what they call Softball base runners pads. It appears to be a black foam rubber leg/knee protector. They are sold for one leg in a bag so you have to purchase two. They were $12 each. They cover from just above a low top shoe to just under your knee. Take your riding shoes with you when you go. They will fit under jeans and are unnoticable. They are about 1/2" thick and and about 14" tall and go around far enough to really help.

AW

Has anyone tried blocking off the two triangle vents that are in front of the heads and then removed the lower fearing that goes around the oil pan. This would make most of the hot air exit low.

AW

Just a thought. How about a poll to survey all riders about the heat issue. It would need to be done by someone with a little more computer experience than myself. What I envision is an extensive, detailed poll, first asking a basic question like "do you perceive a heat problem with the St1300". The poll would then split into two separate columns. Those with a heat problem and those without. Then, the poll-ee would go down the proper tree and answer questions about modification they may have done, accessories, windshield height, seat height, fairing modification, fpr etc. Then we might come up with some quantitative proof that one thing, modification, accessory, adjustment, you name it, really effects the heat issue on the bike. There would be on-going results and those with a heat problem might get more "scientific" evidence they seek. I read a lot of possible cause, ideas and fixes for the heat issue. I would like to see a specific place to go for heat related issues and answers. Thanks for listening, let throw it around and see what others think. Just a thought.

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
I have an '05 ST1300 with about 2,000 miles on her. It has always seemed hot to me, but this is my second bike (the first 30 years ago and my mind was very cloudy back then). I'm planning to get some taller boots, perhaps insulated. I am looking forward to the heat as the weather gets cold. Right now, if it's over 85, I think twice before going out. It is just too frustrating for this beginner.

Wraping the headers are the project for this spring

Bike
ST1300
Hi Guys.

I think you might be wanting too much.
Here in FLa. when it is 90+ and the fan is going continuously. I don't find the heat objectionable. When it is cool 40-50 the heat feels pretty good on my legs.
The heat has to go somewhere.
Dennis

I never really noticed the heat when I was riding my '03. All I did was wrap the headers, which gave a slight relief, and added the smell of the hot insulation. Coming off the Road King, I just didn't notice a heat issue. My Road King throws a lot of heat, too (as well as the constant oil spray..heheheh).:D

On my 2005 ST, with only 3,000 miles on it, I have been discouraged by the heat issue and finally installed the Fairing Deflectors and pulled out the inner cowls.

Went on my first test-ride with the changes, a 30-mile evening ride with temps ranging from 68-72 degrees. Yeah I know, pretty "cool" weather for the summer.

The ride did not go well.

Even in those conditions I noticed heat on my ankles and feet that distracted me from the enjoyment of the ride. Will go on a longer ride Friday in hotter conditions to confirm my conclusion.

Looks like a Honda 919 or Suzuki V-Strom 650 may be in my future. Any thoughts about my situation, or comments on either of those bikes?

Thanks.
Dennis
Sorry about the heat, I'll give you 5K for the ST.....

Bike
1998 CB750
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your problem. I ride year round in the South and the heat coming off my '08 is no worse than what you'd expect from a 1300cc engine. I wear lightly insulated 12" high leather boots and jeans. In hot weather I ride with the windscreen in the lowest position to maximize airflow. I heard somewhere that Honda added additional heat shielding and venting in '08. If so that may account for the difference I'm seeing from earlier models. If I had your problem I'd wrap the pipes and look into the heat shielding / venting. The materials are cheap and it's an easy mod. Good luck, I hope it gets better.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have no issues with heat but some say A throttle body sinc helps the heat issue. I do feel a little more heat with my Olympia air glide pants than I did with overpants but with temp reading 104 it really does not bother me.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm one of those guys who's never had a heat issue. I've spent time and money on ways to add heat so I can ride earlier in the spring and as late into winter as conditions allow.

One question I have for you, Dennis, is what do you wear on your feet when you ride? You mention getting heat around your ankles, which makes me wonder if you wear boots that cover your ankles. If you don't, a proper set of boots may cure your "heat issue" while adding some protection in case of a get-off.

My $.02.
I agree 100%

Top Bottom