Bad News/Good News

Gather round my friends and hear my tale of woe...

April 2019 while returning from Circuit of the Americus after attending the Moto GP races with my son who was riding a British Triumph Daytona Triple and I on my always trusty (up to this point) 1991 ST1100 came to a unscheduled halt in Wichita Falls, Tx. My 25 Amp Alternator finally came to end of its useful life but it took 89,000 miles of everything I asked of it before it failed. Long story short my son on a British Bike road the final 400 miles home and I rented a truck big enough to haul the ST and myself home for the final leg...talk about insult to injury a Brit Bike besting my Silver 2-wheel Westinghouse.

So let me get to the point of this post now that you know the back story, after doing the mandatory 40 Amp upgrade 13 months and maybe 4,000 miles ago (better record keeping needed) the new 40 Amp Alternator Failed but this time I was within range of my AAA towing card. After going thru all the normal diagnosis and double checking all the electrical mods that are part of the upgrade the almost new 40 Amp Alternator was given its last rights and then it passed on to that great alternator graveyard in the sky.

After a Gin and Tonic and coming to the realization of what I must do and will do I ordered another Alternator...NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS! The second time around as we all know is always easier and it was. The helical gears stay in place so there's no need to drain the oil, stick a pin with a cable attached thru the sump to recock the gears etc. etc. I had the fuel tank and the swing arm off in record time, unbolted the three Alternator retainer bolts, held my tongue on the right side and had the old alternator out Easy Peezy and the new one back in faster than you can say Beefeater Gin! So after a 30 mile test run today and another voltage check all is well again in ST1100 land.

The End

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Wow, it failed in 4,000 miles?! I’m no expert but I haven't heard or read of that happening before.

Which 40 amp did you install? Is it still under warranty?

OP
OP
Wow, it failed in 4,000 miles?! I’m no expert but I haven't heard or read of that happening before.

Which 40 amp did you install? Is it still under warranty?
That's exactly what John Oosterhuis said. I ordered it from Partzilla but since the 12 months was up and I could not find the receipt it wasn't worth the effort to fight over it with them so I ordered a new one from DB Electrics. After spinning it up on the bench with the same results I inspected the brush assembly and armature which looked fine, I did not pursue checking out the diode's or regulator. At that point, it is more cost-effective and with greater peace of mind to just order another complete unit than to buy replacement parts. I have now implemented a new filing system to minimize losing important receipts.

Bike
VStrom 650
That's exactly what John Oosterhuis said. I ordered it from Partzilla but since the 12 months was up and I could not find the receipt it wasn't worth the effort to fight over it with them so I ordered a new one from DB Electrics. After spinning it up on the bench with the same results I inspected the brush assembly and armature which looked fine, I did not pursue checking out the diode's or regulator. At that point, it is more cost-effective and with greater peace of mind to just order another complete unit than to buy replacement parts. I have now implemented a new filing system to minimize losing important receipts.
You're in danger of becoming the "Alternator Champion".
Well done.
Upt'North.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
You should do a power assessment of all electric farkels that you may have added. Heated gear and high power Halogen H4 and fog/driving lights could over tax the system. Use a DC amp clamp meter to check the current demand on the alternator. Then you will know. It could have been just a defect in the regulator or diode assembly.

OP
OP
You should do a power assessment of all electric farkels that you may have added. Heated gear and high power Halogen H4 and fog/driving lights could over tax the system. Use a DC amp clamp meter to check the current demand on the alternator. Then you will know. It could have been just a defect in the regulator or diode assembly.
All good ideas, other than having installed slightly higher watt headlamps this Alternator should be completely underwhelmed. I think I did all other ST 1100 riders a favor in buying the only 1 in 1,000 40A alternator that has or will ever go bad. I can almost hear the clapping... (-;

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
All good ideas, other than having installed slightly higher watt headlamps this Alternator should be completely underwhelmed. I think I did all other ST 1100 riders a favor in buying the only 1 in 1,000 40A alternator that has or will ever go bad. I can almost hear the clapping... (-;
:wave1:

Your sacrifice is much appreciated. ;)

Top Bottom