Bad Week For BMW

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It had another failure somewhere in the rear drive train a couple months ago that stranded him on a TWT Pie Run we were at.
I know a guy that has had the FD replaced 5 times on his 2005 GS. He rides alot and the bike had over 100,000 miles several months ago. I believe BMW fixed it every time under warranty but his was 3 years unlimited miles and that is about to expire if it hasn't already.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
This has been the most useless thread I've read in awhile. Wish I had the time back I wasted here.

STOC #
I rode my 2006 R1200GS for 30000 kilometers before I crashed and totalled it. No issues at all. I asked the dealer to service the final drive at the 20000 kms service. Also, I asked him to replace the EWS which he did under warranty even if there wre no signs of failure. I also own a 2007 R1200R with 7000 kms on it with no issues either. It is my opinion that we can try to rationalize too much owing or not owing a specific bike or brand. Just ride what makes you happy and face up the issues as they occur, if they do.

Bike
2006 St1300
Naaw, the drives are fine :crackup

End BMW bash...
Wait minute! Maybe they were using it on a conveyor belt! You know an RT doesn't have wings. It'd never fly!:rolleyes:

STOC #
It is my opinion that we can try to rationalize too much owing or not owing a specific bike or brand. Just ride what makes you happy and face up the issues as they occur, if they do.
Hows this for rationalization. On the way home from WESTOC this summer, my riding guest had his EWS fail in the middle of Kansas. The closest BMW dealer was 275 miles away. They were also not able to get a replacement part for three days. A freaking key sensor on an adventure bike?!? What if it failed in the middle of Africa or South America? Thankfully we were able to get the EWS to sense the key by cooling the antenna with a bag of ice. Sometimes too much engineering is a bad thing.

Bike
95 ST1100
STOC #
Sometimes too much engineering is a bad thing.
You got that right. IMO BMW should have stopped with the 1100GS. The 1150 and 1200 are just more prone to very expensive repairs. I don't know how 1150's hold any resale value at all with the rash of final drive failures.
The 1100GS also had a fair share of issues but they were sorted out the first couple years of production.

Bike
ST1300
I know connie,s have had problems with the passive ignitions system,s also leaving them stranded, too much tech, stay where we are at, nothing to fix

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
my 05 RT has the dumb antenna ring but luckily is not one of the years that has had the issue. To date my bike has never had a problem. I will agree that this is one really stupid feature that I have no idea why they felt the need to do. Similar to why Kawasaki had to do the KIPASS system. So far I have not had a antenna ring go, nor have I actually met anyone that has but I know its been a big problem for some. For those that say BMW has solutions to problems that dont exhist, I will give them credit for this one. However, I will say that my insurance company acknowledges this feature as an anti-theft device and gives me a nice dicount for it. After all, if the owner with the key cant start it, why would a thief...?:D

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
I know connie,s have had problems with the passive ignitions system,s also leaving them stranded, too much tech, stay where we are at, nothing to fix

However, Honda could afford to beef up the key and ignition area. It would take several minutes sometimes just to get the key in the ignition and even then I felt like the key was so flimsy it would break. I dont understand why honda still uses the old school lock units that are worse than my eatly 80's ford truck. Its not that hard. I was looking at a wing and oogling at how nice it was but then there were these huge ugly 1970's car locks. We are in the 21st century.

STOC #
It would take several minutes sometimes just to get the key in the ignition and even then I felt like the key was so flimsy it would break.
Your key had a bend in it. Yes, it's a flimsy key, agreed they could have done better but minutes to put a key in is pointing to a problem.

STOC #
Hows this for rationalization. On the way home from WESTOC this summer, my riding guest had his EWS fail in the middle of Kansas. The closest BMW dealer was 275 miles away. They were also not able to get a replacement part for three days. A freaking key sensor on an adventure bike?!? What if it failed in the middle of Africa or South America? Thankfully we were able to get the EWS to sense the key by cooling the antenna with a bag of ice. Sometimes too much engineering is a bad thing.
I agree this is bad. But I don't think the issue is too much engineering. In the case of the EWS, it is bad implementation. There is no plan B. Many have suggested that the EWS be NIP activated such that it could be turned off by the owner. This would settle the issue of being stranded. The other problem is poor quality control and arrogance. BMW should have acknowledged the problem earlier and cause a recall. Most parts are outsourced to lower costs and quality control is obviously not what it should be.

STOC #
I agree this is bad. BMW should have acknowledged the problem earlier and cause a recall.
Umm, they have. The service bulletin that affects the small range of VINs has gone out to dealers and owners are having their bikes installed with updated and working EWS, whether theirs failed or not. I think they have got it covered.

Top Bottom