ball mount options

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It's a personal preference but I prefer a mount that's centered on the dash. I've got two mounts on mine— one on the Helibar riser and and a no longer made RBIS mount (single RAM ball) on the dash. (There are posts here about making your own RBIS which is how it got started.)

The reservoir mounts are also a good way to go. The RBIS on the dash keeps the object of your interest very near in line of sight for quick and easy reading. But for a disciplined rider any of the others will work well especially if the GPS has a larger screen and/or if your glasses Rx is up to date.

The new and improved Bike-Quip (he needs a better URL) has this Sat-Nav mount that doesn't need a riser and looks pretty nice.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
This is what I did when I had my ST. This is a older photo, but I used the same setup when I switched to a Zumo. The clutch mount made the GPS sit way to high for me. Also did not like the thought of the weight of the GPS bouncing around and being held by those two small screws holding the fluid cap on.

Byron

STOC #
Not sure if you run a tank bag or not but this might be an option.

[h=1]RAM® Small Gas Tank Base with 1" Ball for Motorcycles[/h][h=3]Part# RAM-B-410U[/h]

[video=youtube_share;cFfljOIw8VY]https://youtu.be/cFfljOIw8VY[/video]

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
In the event that you are interested in making your own like the one pictured below (or having one made for you as they are no longer being sold) it is a fairly easy build. You can find all of the information that you will need here- Dash Mount for Ram Ball.

2009 ST1300A 005.jpg

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I made one of those DIY dash mounts for my 1100, worked pretty well but I was getting some bounce on rough roads so I wedged a piece of high density foam between the ram arm and the instrument surround. I also have a RAM ball mount attached to the brake master clamp on the bars which I use with a an x-grip phone holder. TBH once I put the phone there, I don't have much use for the GPS...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I used 3 ball mount locations to attach my modular farkle dashboard. Photos in the following album ...
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2554

FWIW, I would avoud the reservoir mounts only because the attached farkle's weight & leverage could induce some leakage. Others may have had good experience, but a leaky reservoir is not something I wanna' risk.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I have one of these, if it helps. PM sent.

John

image.jpg

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I got this list of RAM parts from Uncle Phil in 2014 to mount a Chinavision Rage GPS to the top of my clutch reservoir. I've ridden thousands of miles since then with the cradle mounted, mostly including GPS, and there's no issue with clutch fluid leaking.

Items Qty Price Amount
RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball RAM-B-347U
Mfr. P/N: RAM-B-347U 1 $5.91 $5.91
RAM Mount Medium Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U
Mfr. P/N: RAM-B-201U 1 $12.21 $12.21
RAM Mount Motorcycle Extended Reservoir Cover Base
Mfr. P/N: RAM-B-346U 1 $20.97 $20.97

The Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball part replaces the non-standard ball on the back of the Rage mounting chassis with a RAM standard B-ball.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MajorTom said:
I've ridden thousands of miles since then with the cradle mounted, mostly including GPS, and there's no issue with clutch fluid leaking.
I understand the concern on strain to the two screws and fluid leakage. But I've seen a lot of bike with this mount ('Wings mostly and also some Brand X bikes) and none of them have shown nor has the owner mentioned any damage or leakage.

Not that it hasn't happened somewhere sometime to someone. But as long as it's not use to hold a 32oz Big Gulp or a 4-track player with some Merle H playing (no disrespect!) it should be fine.

That said I forgot about the RAM mount that that NashCat posted (replaces half of the reservoir mount itself). This would be much better suited to heavier gear as well such as your Black Magic or Red production camera.

Maj. Tom— thanks for the parts list! Somewhere on the Farkle list is a Chinavasion GPS. While I use my phone for now I like the idea of a much bigger screen. Unc Phil convinced me CV is the way to go.

Bike
2006 ST1300A

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you look at the following link, you'll see a similar mount I use which employs 2 balls.
You got a lotta balls!

Ok now I see why:

And I see the 3 switche bank on the front brake reservoir. How's that holding up?

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
You got a lotta balls!
Eh ... my bark's worse than my bite.
And I see the 3 switche bank on the front brake reservoir. How's that holding up?
That's an aftermarket Gold Wing switch bank ... yet another reason I don't use a reservoir ball mount ... and the 3 switches turn on/off low-beams, fog lights & driving lights. The switches do wear out over time and I've replaced a couple over the years, but I rarely use them since switching all the lights to LED.

The top handlebar balls are used for cameras and a DVR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom