Bare Minimum dismantling to remove ST1100 swinging arm ? Please .

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
If the corrosion was wildly over estimated I would think the MOT could be contested? Dunno how it works there, are the inspections performed by a Govt entity or a Govt licensed garage? Can you just take it to another shop? Either way I'd check the swingarm carefully. If its serviceable prep and paint it with good quality paint. I wouldn't be concerned with future welding. I'd be absolutely soaking that internal cavity with a rust preventing product like Waxoyl, PB Blaster Surface Shield, etc. to make sure any corrosion is stopped. No way is any kind of paint going to stick in a closed cavity that is already corroded.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Photos of the swingarm with the Seriously Dangerous Rust would probably help us assess whether there really is a problem or the garage is trying it on. I always take vehicles to a standalone MOT station, not a garage.

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I had not thought of a standalone MOT station. I`ve not heard of those before . My son has a plan to take it to a different tester .

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
This morning my son took it for a 2nd MOT in a different garage and it passed with an advisory note about a minor stiffnes in the steering bearings . I tested that with my son weighing down the back end and the main stand down. Just one tiny spot dead centre if you feel for it . So we have a year to ride it and make a good decision about repairs and then selling or keeping .At least all my electrical tidy ups worked . Hard to talk about it as my ears have both packed up and I can only just hear my own voice . At least it`s sunny weather .

Top Bottom