Battery Drain

Anyone experienced an issue with repeated battery drains to the point they can not be recharged? This is happening without key in the ignition and nothing left on. Could it be an electrical short? I’m stumped.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If this is a new problem, your battery likely shed some lead from one of the plates and has shorted out a cell. the remaining cells cannot keep up with the parasitic drain of the clock.

How old is your battery? Three to 5 years is the average life of a lead acid (flooded - AGM will last longer) but some guys here have gone to 10 or 11 years. Batteries are like light bulbs in one respect. Manufacturers can give you an average life (determined by the avg. life of many examples) but cannot predict how long any one will last.

Quickest and easiest thing you can do is what @Tdinova suggested. If the battery passes a load test, then you will have to track down a parasitic load.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
to the point they can not be recharged?
You might want to expand on the can not be recharged bit. If that's literally the case then it's time for a new battery, and possibly to check for a parasitic drain.

If you mean that after charging it quickly discharges that's something else entirely and removing it and charging it for a load test is viable.Having no clue as to what bike your talking about the general points apply to both the 1100 and 1300.

Once you get your battery sorted use a DMM set to measure current (Amps) in a low range and connect it in series with a battery lead. DO NOT START THE BIKE. With IGN Off you should see a current of ~2mA for the clock. (I think this is true for both the 1100 and 1300). A good battery should handle that for weeks if not months even if not on a tender.

OP
OP
Great info! I bought my ‘07 1300 four months ago and the previous owner mentioned a parasitic drain (not his exact words). After buying it, I took it to my mechanic, who tested the existing battery and said it would charge very quickly but not hold the charge more than a few hours. After recharging several times only for it to drain, he suggested a new battery. After three months, the new battery also drained and would not hold a charge. I just installed another new batter (my third). I believe I need to investigate the parasitic drain further.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
use the DMM method suggested by STGui and pull fuses one at a time until the current drops to zero for clues on where to look for the parasitic load.

On second thought, some fuses don't carry current until the main ignition switch is turned on, so that's not always going to give reliable information, but its easy to do anyway.

Also, let us know if you're working on a 1300 or 1100 for more specifics.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Do you have any powerlet ports on the bike?
If so, check the backside of them to see if corrosion has bridged the gap, draining your battery.
I find this often.

Also check the alternator to see if one of the diodes is bad. it can be over
looked easily. The test described above will point it out but sometimes is confusing to pinpoint.
What you describe is a classic description of alternator diode failure in automotive. Not sure if motorcycle batteries give up quicker.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure if motorcycle batteries give up quicker.
The battery in the ST's is marginally big enough for the bike. It does not take much of a parasitic load to quickly discharge the battery to a point where it will not start the engine.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just checking here, did the PO install a USB port ( to charge phones, power up a GPS, etc)?
On my new ( to me) NC700X, the former owner had installed a USB outlet, wired directly to the battery. It killed two batteries while he had it, and it was working on a third when I got it.
it seems like a small drain, but it is constant, even when nothing is plugged into it.

Interesting this was resurrected, considering the OP never responded back, and hasn't been seen since they posted her New Years day :)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Interesting this was resurrected, considering the OP never responded back, and hasn't been seen since they posted her New Years day :)
Because of a new member reading through old threads that are new to him and then responding to them. It's all good, it adds to the information base.

You are right about me responding to old thread, I am old so anything with a 2 at the year front isn't old to me. Whoops. I need to look closer to the date.

Top Bottom