Battery life

RCS

Yesterday after work I took the battery to the local Honda dealer and they checked it. They say it's fine so 'I'm good to go' . I explained about leaving the lights on for a few minutes but I had the lights on high beam, using the signals several times, so it could have been more than several minutes. Time will tell. I gotta find out before August 4th because me and 2 of my friends leave for Reno NV. One of my friends owns a Hayabusa and we are going to the Hayabusa rally from the 13th to the 18th. We are also going the full distance to San Francisco. One way is 50900 km to Reno and 6200 to San Francisco. We expect to get there in 5 days. Gotta love biking.
Age of the battery would be my concern. Did the dealer do a load test on the battery? If not, you could be in a world of hurt on the side of the highway with a dead battery on your long trip in August. (I don't trust dealers with the ST1300 model as they don't see many of them).

A load test measures the battery's ability to hold the charge during the cranking/starting of the ST1300. A voltmeter is needed to perform a load test. You can pick up a voltmeter for about $20 at your local auto supply store, hopefully, in Nova Scotia. A voltmeter is also good for testing household batteries.

Steps:

1. Make sure battery is fully charged.
2. Turn on high beams for 30 seconds to eliminate "surface charge" in battery.
3. Put a Voltmeter on battery.
4. Volts should be in the 12.3 volt(V) to 12.6V range.
5. Perform load test A - turn on ignition/headlight but don't start engine. Voltmeter should show at least 11.2V. If reading is less than 10V, replace the battery.
6. Perform load test B - watch voltmeter while starting motorcycle. If volts dip below 10V, during the starting process, replace the battery. (the video below is only a small part of information I've read/watched on the internet)

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/18218_motorcycle-battery-two.htm

Also note from MCNews article (http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/battery.htm) - "A fully charged battery is only 65% as strong at 32? as it was at 80?, and at zero, it drops to only 40% capacity."

Top Bottom