Battery Tender ID please

Can anyone here ID these connections? I'd like to get more for my other bikes. These look large enough to use for jump starts.

thumbnail 5.jpgthumbnail 6.jpgthumbnail 7.jpg

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Yep, what he said. I have them installed on my VFR 1200X just for that reason. I carry a NOCO charger when I ride because getting under the seat when packed is a pain in the ass and have had to jump a coupla times because I left the key on, etc.... Works!

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've got the NOCO GENIUS2X4 4-bank charger and rather than equip all of my vehicles with the NOCO pigtail at the vehicle end, like these:

I bought one of these for each of the four leads on my charger:

I installed good old SAE two-terminal pigtails on my bikes like so many others use; Battery Tender, various products like my Eclipse heated vest, SAE to USB charger, etc... The SAE pigtail and the NOCO adapter work perfectly together. Plus, you're more likely to find someone on the road with an SAE charger that fits your bike than the NOCO.

Just my 2¢

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
How much current does your starter motor draw when cranking the engine?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have never seen a fuse in a starter motor wire. The control circuitry, yes, but not the starter itself.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Not exactly; depends where in the circuit you are measuring the load. CA/CCA is rated battery draw for 30 seconds - the starter motor is drawing about 3-4 amps steady, can be as high as 8-10, for a millisecond or two it might reach 125 or more, give or take. Most starter circuits have 15-40 amp fuses and relays are rated at about 60 amps.

It's all magic, smoke, and sparks. :eek:

Tom
I am not really sure what you are referring to as the wiring harness being discussed is not a standard coax or SAE pigtail. It is a heavy # 8 AWG wiring harness that is specifically designed to be connected directly to a power-sports battery and is intended to be used for boosting those batteries. It does not have an in-line fuse, as is the case with any standard booster cable. There are no fuses in a starter motor circuit. There are fuses in the circuits that control the starter motor function, but not the starter motor circuit itself.

As for the question that I responded to, it asked how much current an ST1300 starter motor draws when it is cranking the engine. It draws app. 125 amps as measured with an inductive ammeter. It was measured by a member of this forum as part of a diagnostic procedure that was being performed. The post with the test results are somewhere on this site.

I very much doubt that any 12V DC starter motor that is drawing only 10 amps or less would be able to turn over a 1300 CC engine.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The X on the cable end does look like NOCO's, but the connector pattern isn't the same as their normal chargers. The NOCO booster may indeed be different given it likely has larger wire to accommodate the increased amperage.

I think Andrew is correct as is looks like they use an adapter to mate the x-connect (which is what the normal charger is) to the boost connect.

1693331510475.png

Here (below) is the normal NOCO charger end pattern. (taken this afternoon on my bike)

IMG_5021.JPGIMG_5022.JPG

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think Andrew is correct as is looks like they use an adapter to mate the x-connect (which is what the normal charger is) to the boost connect.
I haven't looked at them in a very long time but I seem to remember that the connector was unique to Noco and required this adapter. I don't have one to verify this however.

Top Bottom