Battery Tender Question

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Usually when I use my battery tender, it pulses red/green until the battery is fully charged, then the light stays green.

I put a new battery in a couple months ago. Now, when I hook it up to the tender, it keeps flashing red/green. I've kept it on the tender for two days now but I still can't get a solid green light.

The bike starts and runs fine. I checked the tender's connection with the battery and confirmed it was properly connected and current was flowing.

Any ideas why I can't seem to get a full charge with a solid green light?

Mandel.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If the bike has sat for a while, the battery may need a longer charge cycle to "top it off". Recently, I neglected one of the bikes and allowed the battery to get too low. When I went to charge it, it did not want to take the charge. I kept working with it, and it finally started taking the charge and did finally charge fully. I have one of those "smart" chargers where you can select "small" battery or "Normal" battery or "Deep Cycle" battery or "Engine Start". It also tells you "Volts" or "%" of charge. If the battery is reluctant to charge, the charger cuts off. Since the battery was only 14 months old - I couldn't see replacing it and figured it couldn't be that bad. I am glad I persisted.
Sorry for rambling on as this may or may not be related to your situation. Just thought I would put it out there.

Vinny

OP
OP
Mandel
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Thanks Vinny, but I don;t think that's my problem. This battery is only two months old and I've probably put 1000 miles on it, riding it a few times a week. I was doing preventive maintenance by putting it on the tender, not trying to rescue a depleted battery.

Even with older batteries, I was able to charge to full green w/n 24 hours, usually much less.

Mandel

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I am wondering if you have a bad cell in the new battery and that is why it will not show a full charge. I would do a voltage test on the battery without the battery tender hooked up. You should read around 13 volts and try starting the bike and watch to make sure the voltage does not drop below 10 volts. If it is a bad battery you should be able to get it replaced under warranty. Keep us posted.

Mike

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I'll have to check mine when I get home...don't recall red/green sequence being a good thing. I thought it was steady or blinking when charging and switched when done but not sure until I check the color legend on the hardware itself.

on second thought... (from googling the manual):

GREEN LIGHT: A steady green light indicates that battery is
connected properly and charge cycle is to begin. A blinking
green light indicates that the charge cycle is complete and the
battery is being floated at a voltage of approximately 13.10 volts.
STEADY RED LIGHTS: Red lights indicate charging current
much like that of a typical meter. The amount of current is
indicated numerically below each individual light.
FLASHING RED LIGHTS: Flashing red lights indicate an
abnormal condition has occurred during charging. This can be
caused by the charger sensing a high output voltage that can be
caused by a bad connection to the battery. Also it can be caused
when the battery charger senses the battery is not accepting a
charge.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Is it a glassmat battery? Some tenders say to not use them on gsm batteries.......might be the issue.........

v8-7

Site Supporter
You can check the charger by hooking it up to a different known good battery, like your car .

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I have a Battery Tender Jr. that only gets to green flashing. I talked to a rep. at the Battery Tender booth at bike week. He told me that it should go to full green like it did in the past. He also told me that they were guarented for 5 years for the date stamp on the back. No receit needed. He told me to contact Baterry Tender for a replacement and that the unit should come to full green as in the past.

Byron

STOC #
Just because it was new does not mean that it might have come with a flaw. It might take a shop that can load test the battery to determine if there is an internal short or dead cell.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
For Battery Tender JR.

FLASHING RED========== NOT CHARGING
SOLID RED============= BATTERY CHARGING
FLASHING GREEN========= BATTERY GREATER THAN 80% CHARGED
SOLID GREEN=========== MONITORING CHARGED BATTERY

Dave C. :cool:

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
For Battery Tender JR.

FLASHING RED========== NOT CHARGING
SOLID RED============= BATTERY CHARGING
FLASHING GREEN========= BATTERY GREATER THAN 80% CHARGED
SOLID GREEN=========== MONITORING CHARGED BATTERY

Dave C. :cool:

SierraST

Ride-Pie-Repeat
Bike
2003 ST1300
FWIW, I most often use a BTender Jr (750 mA) on an AGM battery (Batteries Plus XTAZ14S Xtreme Permaseal) and it goes to solid green just as the OEM YUASA batteries did.

Top Bottom