Beat the Heat!

CaptCrash

Dazed & Confused
Bike
ST1300
An important skill is (believe it or not) keeping cool in the summer! That's right, it seems simple but we often forget that HYPERthermia is a serious problem for riders.

What is hyperthermia? From our friends at www.medicinenet.com:

"Hyperthermia is overheating of the body. The word is made up of "hyper" (high) + "thermia" from the Greek word "thermes" (heat). Hyperthermia is literally high heat. There are a variety of heat-related illnesses, including heat stroke and heat exhaustion. Other heat-related health problems include heat cramps, heat rash and sunburn."

http://www.medicinenet.com/hyperthermia/article.htm

Basically it means you start getting cooked. Fundamentally your body cools itself by sweating--it's evaporative cooling. The problem for riders is, if you start sweating you're steaming water out of the system; if you don't pour water into the system then you run out of water in your body, your blood will literally thicken, and then bad, bad things can happen to you. So you know: on a bike, you'll wick away the sweat--that gives you that pleasant cooling sensation--BUT you may not realize YOU ARE SWEATING and YOU NEED TO SWEAT to stay cool.

Do you see the double edged sword here? Riding cools you but also dehydrates you faster. You can end up with HEAT STROKE. Again from our friends at Medicinenet:

"What are the symptoms of heat stroke?

Warning signs of heat stroke vary but may include:

an extremely high body temperature (above 104?F)

red, hot, and moist or dry skin (no sweating)

rapid, strong pulse

throbbing headache

dizziness

nausea

confusion

seizures

unconsciousness"

Note system number 2--NO SWEATING. That's the sign that the system is failing and you're in trouble. Do you see the conundrum? Ride to be cool, but in essence you're speed drying yourself. (Why the rapid pulse and headache? I'm told it is because your blood is thickening and harder to move).

Another big problem is that fact that CONFUSION is a symptom. Yeah, you get stupid or, as we say in motorcycle world, IMPAIRED. You start thinking "I' don't feel good...maybe that double bacon, green chili burrito was a bad idea...I'll ride FASTER, get home SOONER, and get some pepto going..." instead of recognizing you've got a serious, serious problem. How serious? IV fluids serious. Kidney or liver shut down serious.

You CAN ride in hot weather. Mrs. Crash and I just completed two 280 mile days riding in 90 to 100 degree temps. How? By staying hydrated. A couple of rules to live by if you're riding in the heat:

1. UNDERSTAND YOU'RE IN DANGER. Simply 'toughing it out' isn't a option. Just like you should realize that the only cars on the road at 3:30am on a Saturday morning are people going to bad jobs, cops and drunks should heighten your awareness; you should say--it's gonna be HOT and plan accordingly. Riding on a 97 degree day IS NOT the same as riding on an 78 degree one.

2. ACT LIKE YOU'RE IN DANGER. Stop hourly. Re-hydrate. Yeah, you may not be thirsty but get 12 or 16 ounces of water down you at each stop. FORCE yourself. Remember: one of the symptoms of Heat Stroke is nausea. IF you see hot and sick? YOU ARE HOT AND SICK. Stop often and hydrate. Drink a low sugar sports drink every couple of stops. You wouldn't set out across Nevada without a full tank of gas--keep your internal radiator topped off.

3. Wear some gear but remember what's going on. Mesh is nice but remember, that cooling breeze is also a DRYING breeze. If you're wearing vented gear? Same deal. Gear will help with SUNBURN as it protects you from UVs. It will also slow evaporation but you don't want to cook in your gear. Use the vents. AND if you're riding in a t-shirt and vest? You're bleeding water so act like it. (See suggestion 2).

4. Wear sunscreen. On your face. Under your chin. On the back of your neck. The reflected energy off the road (or your shiny bike) can blister you as well as the direct energy of the sun.

5. Use cooling aids--like a water soaked bandanna on the back of your neck; notice how quickly it dries and remember that's what is happening to YOU. I've used gel filled cooling rags and really like them. They cover the back of your neck and cool at the same time. Also, once they stop offering comfort it's a good sign to stop and reload.

6. Know when the teeth of the day are. When is it hottest? I've always found 4 to 6pm to be where the real heat is. Consider parking it up during the hottest hours.

7. Are you taking pee breaks? When was the last time you urinated? Yea, a full bladder means you have H20 to spare—once you notice “I haven’t peed all day” you’ve noticed a key indicator that your body no longer has a reservoir of water, it’s all going out through your pores and not your bladder. You should be drinking AND peeing.

Remember, over heating is a serious and dangerous problem. It impairs you. An impaired person makes bad decisions. THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO IS THIS: Solve the problem before it becomes a problem. Be proactive not reactive. Hydrate. Cover up as you can. Stay out of the teeth of the heat. Be wise.

Be Safe!

Hawk52

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Good write up. Heat and cold the 2 things to pay attention to, both can slow your thinking and impair your skills. These things can creep up with out you noticing.

Bike
99 ST1100
Great reminder of what most of us "should" already know.

I work outside all day so it's a struggle to stay hydrated to begin with. After work last night I road for a couple of hours with my friends. When I got home I felt faint and very light-headed. Having an empty stomach just made things worse I think. After an energy bar and some OJ I started to feel human again after about 10 minutes.

Diabetes runs in my family, and although I'm not diabetic, I am subject to bouts of low blood sugar if I go too long without food. Remember too it's a good idea to pack some snacks on the bike in case your blood sugar levels plummet.

One last note: If you wait until you STOP sweating you are in real and immediate danger (Heat Stroke). Heat exhaustion occurs first and it's your body's last ditch effort to cool itself. During heat exhaustion you are sweating profusely but you are still in danger if you don't find a way to cool down and lower your body temperature - think A/C if possible, shade at the very least - and cold drinks. If they're available, put an ice pack on your neck, underarms and groin to speed the cooling of your blood and help bring down body temps.

Additionally it is a good idea to Pre-Hydrate prior to your ride or outdoor activities. Working outdoors in the Arizona heat, I would try to have at least a quart or more of water in me prior to starting my work day. This way you will not start your day in a hydration deficit. Rule of thumb I have heard is, if you feel thirsty you are already behind the hydration curve. Color of urine is also a good indicator of hydration, the clearer, the better.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Color of urine is also a good indicator of hydration, the clearer, the better.
You beat me to that, but here's a nice chart: CLICKY

If it's green, you should cut back on the asparagus. :broc1: (Yeah, I know... It's broccoli.)

--Mark

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1 if you are thirsty you are behind the curve.
Heat exhaustion is a problem, heat stroke much more serious. Don't go there.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Great thread. I'd like to add that body chemistry differs for different people. One person can get away with drinking 16 oz of water and do fine; someone else needs a constant supply. Ever since a brain injury 12+ years ago, I dehydrate very easily. I have to drink LOTS of fluids, even on only moderately warm days. So just because your riding buddy can push on with just a bottle of water every now and then, doesn't mean you can too. And you can't fight the chemistry of your body...once dehydrated, you are in trouble. You can't force yourself past it, and it has nothing to do with how "tough" you are.

Jim

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
One more point. A couple years ago my brother and I were riding through southern UT in the summer and even though we had been drinking LOTS of water, we both were feeling horrible.
We stopped for a rest at a gas station and decided to buy some Gatorade. Drinking the Gatorade boosted us like a lightning bolt. We immediately felt much better. Even though we had been staying hydrated, I think we were sweating out all of our salts.

Del

As a former long distance and marathon runner we all lived by a famous quote "If you don't pee clear at least once a day you are dehydrated". Having just returned from JAX to spectate at the IBR I thought of that quote numerous times while riding there and back in temps up to 102.
Michael

Top Bottom