Been breaking beads/ mounting tires wrong all this time

One reason i bought the ST was for solid wheels, to change tires myself (no tubes).
Figured it out from this forum and YTube.
Been doing it a too-hard way for years.

I have aleays laid down three pieces of 2x12 lumber for the tire to sit on and keep the rotor safe, etc. And I struggle and work eay too hard to break the beads, dis-mount, and mount. I even broke the bead mounting my first darkside rear.

Finally it hit me, support it by the wheel instead, so the tire is able to flex on itself more.
So, threw together the simple wooden stand shown (just a base with three fingers to support the "spokes" so the tire is off the ground), and all steps of the recent tire change were five times easier.
WOW.
LOT of time and effort wasted before this.
Maybe I will buy or make something a little better, but this really worked.

Attachments

Nice solution !!

Unfortunately, sold the previous property, so no photos ... but my method was horribly simple, and takes a whole 5 seconds to pop the bead.

Picture this ... the walls of the garage have 2x4's studs as structural uprights (as any small building or house).

I drilled a hole about 2 feet up on one of those studs. I then used 2 individual 2x4's, one about 3 foot and other 4 foot.

I bolted the 4 foot 2x4 to the wall stud (loosely, not tightly bolted). This would be the "leverage" that would be used to "pull down".

I drilled a hole in the "leverage" about one foot out (away) from the stud.

For the second 2x4 (the piece that will break the bead), I drilled a hole a couple inches at one end, and bolted it to the hole in the horizontal "leverage" (not tightly bolted).

So now, place the wheel on two 2x4's laying on the ground to protect the disc, rest the "bead breaker" just at the edge of rim, then pull down on the "leverage" ... POP, bead broken :)

Wish I had photos ... it's a simple, inexpensive tool that works quickly

EDIT: (a visual) mechanically , it works like this :

1673906835061.png

Last edited:
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I bought a fairly cheap "tire changer" years ago and have never found it difficult to break the bead. It raises the tire off the ground just like your setup here and comes with a lever that easily breaks the bead.

OP
OP
Not to derail the topic, but I can see the make / model tire.
Where does it rub the bike? Swingarm? Rear fender?
(Hopefully...) Not at all, anywhere?
I want to go dark next rear change, but fear the rub...
Sorry for delay.
This tire (Hankook Ventus) i never saw any contact fouling/ rubbing. I picked it after scouring many tire photos for the most rounded shoulder.
In other threads i posted about major and minor rubbing of other tires.

Top Bottom