Been Working on Something

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have been working with a very reputable company and while it has taken a lot of effort I do believe we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I like to do things right, instead of guessing at a solution and not really getting it 100% correct.

The 1300 has thrown us quite a few loops and while we are not quite ready to call it done, we do believe we are close.

I know this is cryptic, but heck where is the fun if I just post up what it is....

Here is a hint. When done it should be pretty darn cool.

Any guesses??

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I have been working with a very reputable company and while it has taken a lot of effort I do believe we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I like to do things right, instead of guessing at a solution and not really getting it 100% correct.

The 1300 has thrown us quite a few loops and while we are not quite ready to call it done, we do believe we are close.

I know this is cryptic, but heck where is the fun if I just post up what it is....

Here is a hint. When done it should be pretty darn cool.

Any guesses??
Rob:

They do look cool. Based upon the size, what looks like a shim stack on top, and the "O" ring, I'd say that it's an adjustable, fork damper. If that's it, sign me up!

I'm guessing that I'm wrong because of your "cool" hint.

Marshal

Bike
08 ST
STOC #
It's a quick change whatsitz with fully articulated slide thinggymabob's. I know it not a dodad because those are all plastic. Gizmos have wire and whizzers and baggers come in sets.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
OMG.. even the table you put your parts on is clean... ugh... throw some grease on something man, you're killing me...

I start my bike and I have grease on one hand and blood on the other..

Bike
2005 ST1300
Parts to make the water flow out of my faucet faster or is it new headlights that will stop the left one from going out?????:eek:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Either muffler bearings or turn signal fluid pressurizer?

How bout cartridge emulators for front forks?

JZH

International Bodger
Please do spill the beans...Those appear to be OEM Showa cartridge fork compression damping units modified with Race-Tech Gold Valves. I do not see how they would be "adjustable" in the sense that they could be externally adjustable, but there's something about the way they are spaced up that doesn't look "normal" to me. I've been meaning to install a set when I install the Sonic springs, but have not taken the forks apart, yet.

ISTR that Chris (sport_tourer) had installed a set of FMGV S2040 Gold Valves in his ST1300 some time ago, so this is presumably something more interesting than that? Hope so!

Ciao,

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
This has the feel of Joe's, "I know a secret!" thread. Spill the beens, or we'll send Mugsy over to give you a New Jersey walk around the block!

John

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
OK, yes it is a suspension part!

What I showed a photo of was the compression section of the stack, but we are also working on the rebound. (Hands were too oily to take photos at that point.)

Adjustable is one of those funny words. While I would love forks with external adjustability like a sport bike the cost is extremely prohibitive. However, by taking the fork apart and making changes we can in effect make "adjustments" it is just very time consuming. (Not to mention the cost of the fork oil.)

Lucky for my and ultimately all ST riders, Race Tech want to properly develop a kit for ST Riders and this legwork is yielding results.

I need to put a few thousand miles on this set, so give me a few weeks and we will make another assessment.

The goal is to get both low speed damping and high speed damping at a proper balance. Previously I have ridden bikes that have been great at high speed but not very reactive at low speed. I can tell you right now we are 95% there with the system and when done anyone should be able to buy the valves as they are, match up the proper spring for their weight and be ready to roll.

Stay tuned!!

In case I didn't mention it, these a regular off the shelf Race Tech gold valves that are being modified to get the results needed on the ST1300.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Interesting. Dunno if you have arrived at the same conclusion Rob, but IMHO, the stock forks have too much high-speed compression damping, particularly in combination with stiffer aftermarket springs where such excess isn't needed any more to prevent bottoming. I sure hope these new parts can address that. I'm wondering though, you must have to change/modify the internal cartridges it would seem to make this work?

Top Bottom