Best carb solvent?

JLamb

1991 ST1100
Bike
1991 ST-1100
Going to pull the carbs and clean the jets. Recommendations for a solvent? I heard pine-sol? Hot or RT? Diluted or straight? Something better?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Pine-Sol or Simple Green works, full strength or diluted, you can also follow up with a simmer in water and dish soap. For cruddy varnish you could use naptha (lighter fluid) or something stronger like Walmart carb cleaner keeping in mind don't leave it long on rubber parts, then repeat the Pine-Sol, etc.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I've used Pine-Sol on a bunch of hardware (not carbs). Cleans and returns stuff to shiny nicely, but also removes whatever original protective treatment is on the pieces so that they will rust up very quickly. I have a rear brake rotor with six nice rusty looking bolts for example.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
When cleaning carbs I'm old fashion, I use spray cans of carb cleaner!

Raymond

STOC #
I know this is an older thread, but I'll add to it for others seeking help.

Last week I cleaned the carb On my daughters ttr125 which Was varnished up pretty badly. I've used straight Pine-sol before with lackluster results, so this time I mixed it 50-50 with hot water from the tap. Let it soak overnight then rinsed. Worked much better than straight. Followed that up with an overnight soak in a 50-50 mix of hot water and white vinegar. The results were great.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Call me Old School , but I just use any spray carb cleaner - the cheaper the better ........ and then compressed air.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
+1...
And maybe a nylon bristle from a broom to carefully punch through the bores of the jets, if needed...

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I use that nasty stuff (Berryman) that comes in a one gallon bucket with a dip basket inside. Cleans the jets really well. Sometimes on idle jets, I use a single strand of copper wire from a multistrand electrical wire and poke it through all the holes. I learned that you should not reach into the stuff without gloves - one of my fingernails still isn't back to normal years later.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
a single strand of copper wire from a multistrand electrical wire
I was schooled some time ago after using this technique...
Copper is stiffer than aluminum... it'll scratch/bore-out the jet and you'll have a larger jet without knowing the size...

Fishing line or a strand from a poly broom is now my go to for pushing through the jet holes...

Bike
92 ST1100
I was schooled some time ago after using this technique...
Copper is stiffer than aluminum... it'll scratch/bore-out the jet and you'll have a larger jet without knowing the size...

Fishing line or a strand from a poly broom is now my go to for pushing through the jet holes...
+1........bad choice using ANY metal, brass or otherwise to unplug jets. Least little 'scratch' WILL affect jets flow pattern. The larger mains, pointy round toothpic works the BEST, as it cleans the build-up off outer edges of jet holes spinning it with two fingers;)

Top Bottom