Best place to attach tie downs

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
What are the best points to attach tie down straps to an ST. On my Wing I attached to the handle bars and handles in the back where the passenger rides.
I believe I have read on this site that you remove the plastic covers on the crash bars and tie there, are the passenger handles on the rear another secure point?

Bike
ST 1300 A 2005
Hello. I trailered 4000 KMs this year, Calgary Canada to Phoenix AZ and back and we had no surprises with the trailering. We used nylon loops on the lower triple clamps and snugged it down with the nylon tie downs that had the friction locks. We compressed the forks about half way only. On the rear, we used the same friction tie downs onto the brackets for the rear foot pegs. For added safety, we used the turnbuckle style tie downs around the rear tire rim and onto the back of the trailer frame. I have a set of Canyon Dancers but didnt use them as I think there would be too much pressure on the bar end pieces. We didnt use the engine gaurds for tie down points as they didnt align well with our crowded little trailer, but I think they would be excellent depending on your trailer

i used 4 each of nylon loops(about1ft dia.) and wratchting straps. the loops attach to the bike -two on the handle bars (as close to the ctr line as possible. and the other two on the passenger hand grips. the loops spread out the loading so that plastic of the hand grips and cables on the handle bars are not damaged (sota like canyondnace thingie, but a lot more flexable in actual use). the straps are run back from the handle bars and foward of the passenger hand grips..and cross each other before being hooked to they'r respective sides of the trailer frame
if there's any available straps/rope left, i use them to secure the tires so that they can't slip out from under the bikes while in transit

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I'm thinking of getting the wheelchock. I have the bar in the bed where three bikes can fit, but on a heavy low bike like this I bet the chock would really keep it stable. ;) Thanks for the reminder. :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1 on using the bars under the tip-over wings and use of the passenger foot peg frames. The tip-over wing's plastic covers pop off by hand after removing a 5 mm hex head screw on the underside.

i'm not sure about the construction for the 1300, but the 1100 has cast iron center- plastic hand holds seems like a ludicrous liability exposure- check 'em again

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
+1 for the engine guards under the tip-over wings , I lifted mine out of the back of my truck with my tractor . The straps were secured to the engine guards and the tip-over bars . No issues. Also the grab rail is ABS, its more for looks..

Top Bottom