Best type of drill bit for fairing mod?

Bike
2016 ST1300PA
Wondering if anyone has experience drilling through the Tupperware. I’m adding a pair of forward crashbars which require a slight (eek) modification - cutting a 1” hole on the left and right fairings.

considering a hole saw, boring bit (flat, not an auger) or a Forstner bit.

Any advice appreciated.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Have to ask this - why add crash bars when the built in tip over protection does basically the same job?

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Have to ask this - why add crash bars when the built in tip over protection does basically the same job?
I watched a video of a police chase, two cycle officers caught up to a suspect, and jumped off their ST's, just letting them fall, bikes rolled on their sides and then rolled back, after they just picked them up and road off, with no obvious damage

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Are you planning on chasing bad guys, and jumping off your bike and letting it fall over? :rofl1:
Be very careful measuring where you drill, as you'll only have once chance at it.

Wondering if anyone has experience drilling through the Tupperware. I’m adding a pair of forward crashbars which require a slight (eek) modification - cutting a 1” hole on the left and right fairings.

Any advice appreciated.
On "plexiglass" type plastics which can shoot off a crack with a conventional drill bit ... run the drill in reverse. For a hole that big a NEW hole saw is likely the best choice. You can still run a 1/8" pilot hole to accommodate the hole saw's starter drill bit.
PS: I have a police model 1300 and those extra crash bars are a good defense plus if it ever just plain tips over, they make it easier to get it back on the wheels.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Never use a boring bit or Forstner bit on plastic. The spade bit will grab and rip the pilot screw out of the center hole and the Forstner bit's wide chisels will also grab the plastic. Step bit (as suggested by @RichKat) or a clean sharp hole saw will both do the job. If possible, clamp a piece of wood to the back of the plastic and drill slowly, with light pressure into that. The tupperware on ST's is soft and should present no problems.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I used a hole-saw when I added tweeters to my Rooster. There already was a lighter hole on the left, so I cut the right hole first, and used the slug to center the pilot bit for the second hole:

1657484330691.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I would shoot a Harley 100 times, before I'd shoot my ST.
Actually, I wouldn't waste the ammo on the HD... bullets are too expensive now.
Honestly, though -- I dropped my ST a couple days after I got it, trying to do tight 180s (u-turns to some). Always some of the first things I do with new-to-me motorbikes.
I wasn't accustomed to the weight in the turn, and dropped it on the right side, so with my forward momentum in the tight turn, I rolled off the bike and it fell, continuing to rotate / spin / slide on the black plastic side protector and the muffler and rear tire... the black plastic side piece took the brunt of it all, and was barely ground through. There is the very slightest scuff on the bottom of the muffler, and you really have to look closely to even see it.
The right bar-end and mirror never touched the ground. I was / AM absolutely amazed. I fully expected to see grinding on the bar-end, and a smashed and shattered mirror cover. Nothing anyone can see, on either piece... and I have looked for it, trust me.
I've since added the rear luggage crash bars from a GoldWing, but haven't dropped it since then.
Not sure I can depend on the black side protectors to save us again, and I'm not willing to lay it down to see... much too heavy to lift it again. (Yes, I know how to pick up big bikes the right way. But the righter way is not to drop it in the first place.)

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles

Any advice appreciated.
When I got a replacement set the directions said use a laser beam. Set it up on tripod or similar where the bolt is with the plastics off. When you put the plastics back on the laser is right where you need to drill the hole. Be patient, triple check. Step bit sounds like a winner.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
they don't save the mirrors
Yup, lots of 1100 guys are having a tough time finding mirror covers and it won't be long before 1300 guys start having the same supply issues.

Bike
R1200rt
Yup, lots of 1100 guys are having a tough time finding mirror covers and it won't be long before 1300 guys start having the same supply issues.
First time , I wire meshed the 2 pieces. 2nd time on same cover it cracked (in two) in different place. The wire mesh held!

OP
OP
Tom G in Chester NJ
Bike
2016 ST1300PA
Step drill was definitely the way to go! Thanks all for the advice. AND I got to add a tool to my arsenal.

Everything came out… well, ok.

The reason for the crash bars? To paraphrase Sir Edmund Hillary, because they were there. The original owner sold them to me with the bike.

And drilling/cutting the largest and most expensive pieces of plastic was of course terrifying, especially since I had no experience in that.

Thanks again for the support & advice!

Top Bottom