Best type of drill bit for fairing mod?

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Step drill was definitely the way to go! Thanks all for the advice. AND I got to add a tool to my arsenal.

Everything came out… well, ok.

The reason for the crash bars? To paraphrase Sir Edmund Hillary, because they were there. The original owner sold them to me with the bike.

And drilling/cutting the largest and most expensive pieces of plastic was of course terrifying, especially since I had no experience in that.

Thanks again for the support & advice!
Step drills are the best things for any type plastic or thin sheet metal, I work in a sign shop, so I drill lots of thin plastic and plexiglass and sheet aluminum. glad it worked good for you, I would have been scared to do it as well, my ST is a former Police ride and had the holes already in it ( but i don't have the bars, wish i did)

OP
OP
Tom G in Chester NJ
Bike
2016 ST1300PA
Step drills are the best things for any type plastic or thin sheet metal, I work in a sign shop, so I drill lots of thin plastic and plexiglass and sheet aluminum. glad it worked good for you, I would have been scared to do it as well, my ST is a former Police ride and had the holes already in it ( but i don't have the bars, wish i did)
These are what I installed - $200 from T-Rex Racing they may or may not be what your bike was modified for...

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Yup, lots of 1100 guys are having a tough time finding mirror covers and it won't be long before 1300 guys start having the same supply issues.
Unlike the 1100, the 1300 caught the attention of the Chinese copy-cats. They're readily available for about half the price of OEM and many include the lamp housing or even the mirrors!

Lots of listings which like to add up to about $150 through various combinations of some price plus shipping from China.

I bought a set of black mirror covers like these because I have the Dick Seng, Ron Major-style driving light brackets to install on my 1300 which require notching the underside of the mirror cover. I did that on my 1100 and it can never be undone.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That must have been nerve wracking, drilling into that plastic!
It took me seems like an hour of measuring and worrying, to drill a small hole (with a step bit, of course) just to cut a 5/8in hole in the black plastic panel pocket for one silly Powerlet!
From your pictures, you made it all work -- fine job!
(And I envy those flat strobes on each side, too! Can't find anyone who will let me buy theirs!)

Top Bottom