Best way to clean tarnished pipes?

Hello all! I just purchased an ‘05 ST with some pretty substantial yellowing on its exhaust. What do you recommend for removing it that won’t scratch the finish and is reasonably safe to work with? I’ve seen the Harpic toilet bowl cleaner videos where hydrochloric acid seems to be what works, but what’s your favorite “stateside” solution that won’t burn skin in the process? Just looking for something safer, yet effective. Thanks much!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Acidic stainless exhaust cleaner... stinks the place up quite well, but works as advised...
Wear appropriate gloves, longs sleeves and safety googles while working...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...What do you recommend for removing it that won’t scratch the finish and is reasonably safe to work with?
I use Meguiar's M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover and a foam (sponge-like) buffing wheel on the end of a drill. The product is safe to use - it also works great on paint, which is what is was designed for, and the pipes turn out great - shiny, pure chrome, just like the day they were new.

It's by far easiest to do if you take the pipes off the bike, a task that is not difficult to do.

When you have finished the job, wipe the pipes with wet microfiber towel to remove any residual traces of the polish, this to ensure that residual traces don't get cooked onto the pipes and discolor the pipes the first time the pipes get hot.

Michael

OP
OP
Chris Marshall
Acidic stainless exhaust cleaner... stinks the place up quite well, but works as advised...
Wear appropriate gloves, longs sleeves and safety googles while working...
Thanks for the advice. What brand of cleaner do you recommend?

OP
OP
Chris Marshall
I use Meguiar's M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover and a foam (sponge-like) buffing wheel on the end of a drill. The product is safe to use - it also works great on paint, which is what is was designed for, and the pipes turn out great - shiny, pure chrome, just like the day they were new.

It's by far easiest to do if you take the pipes off the bike, a task that is not difficult to do.

When you have finished the job, wipe the pipes with wet microfiber towel to remove any residual traces of the polish, this to ensure that residual traces don't get cooked onto the pipes and discolor the pipes the first time the pipes get hot.

Michael
Thanks Michael! I’ll check it out the next time I’m at the auto parts store.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I use Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish on all such exhausts, including auto exhaust tips. Brasso Multipurpose Metal Polish also works, but is a bit more aggressive. In any case, you want to be careful, working only in the direction of any existing brush strokes (if the surface has brush strokes).

In all cases, wash residues off as they can stain. Also make sure to clean off fingerprint oils--those can permanently 'stain' the clean finish on heatup.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A paste made from water and Bar Keeper's Friend will restore the original sparkling stainless steel finish with next to no rubbing or polishing. Make the paste on a wet sponge or rag. After 2 or 3 minutes on the stainless rub lightly then rinse. The paste cleans chemically and even gets down into the minute crevices of the welded seams.

bar-keepers-friend-all-purpose-cleaners-11514-64_1000.jpgbar-keepers-friend-all-purpose-cleaners-11514-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris Marshall
A paste made from water and Bar Keeper's Friend will restore the original sparkling stainless steel finish with next to no rubbing or polishing. Make the paste on a wet sponge or rag. After 2 or 3 minutes rub lightly then rinse. The paste cleans chemically and even gets down into the minute crevices of the welded seams.

bar-keepers-friend-all-purpose-cleaners-11514-64_1000.jpgbar-keepers-friend-all-purpose-cleaners-11514-64_1000.jpg
I’ve used BKF on stainless kitchenware before. Does it scratch the exhaust finish as it cleans?

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I saw the bar keepers friend on this site a couple months ago. It does a fast and easy job of cleaning the pipes. Thanks for the earlier suggestion dduelin.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’ve used BKF on stainless kitchenware before. Does it scratch the exhaust finish as it cleans?
No, unless you scrub it or use an abrasive pad to appply. Make a paste on a sponge or paper towel and let the chemical action work. Rub it lightly, no heavy scrubbing and rubbing.

I have used this for years on all my motorcycles with stainless steel mufflers and it works great. No scratching.

On my ST I had to do it about every 10,000 miles from new as the exhaust yellowed from oxidation. Some like the yellowish gold as a symbol of a ridden bike but I liked a sparkling clean finish and did this many times on the ST. Eventually I found that the mufflers quit oxidizing so often and it required fewer treatments further apart to stay sparkling.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Big thanks to Dduelin for the Barkeepers Friend idea :thumb:.

I did my pipes with it - Worked great, and was an easy job
Now just wondering how long before they yellow up again .....

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
A paste made from water and Bar Keeper's Friend will restore the original sparkling stainless steel finish with next to no rubbing or polishing. Make the paste on a wet sponge or rag. After 2 or 3 minutes rub lightly then rinse. The paste cleans chemically and even gets down into the minute crevices of the welded seams.

+1 Works great!

Top Bottom