Big Thank You Shout Out - 2009 ST1300 SMC Replaced

Hello all. As the above title implies, a huge thank you to this forum for finally getting my new to me 2009 ST1300 standard back on the road with NO dragging/locking rear brakes!! Especially to JF Heath's excellent Article on SMC replacement - this was invaluable in doing this job. And Sadlsor - for convincing me finally that this was in fact the SMC! I can only imagine what a shop would charge for installing the SMC, cleaning up and lubricating the calipers and pins, bleeding the entire system (following steps) and dismantling and correctly reassembling the bodywork. I suspect it would be a lot, if they would even take this job. I highly recommend bonding with your ST (for quite a few hours....lol) even if you feel intimidated, it's worth it to persevere. The financial savings and feeling of accomplishment are worth it.

Most outstanding forum! Cheers, STeve

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hello all. As the above title implies, a huge thank you to this forum for finally getting my new to me 2009 ST1300 standard back on the road with NO dragging/locking rear brakes!! Especially to JF Heath's excellent Article on SMC replacement - this was invaluable in doing this job. And Sadlsor - for convincing me finally that this was in fact the SMC! I can only imagine what a shop would charge for installing the SMC, cleaning up and lubricating the calipers and pins, bleeding the entire system (following steps) and dismantling and correctly reassembling the bodywork. I suspect it would be a lot, if they would even take this job. I highly recommend bonding with your ST (for quite a few hours....lol) even if you feel intimidated, it's worth it to persevere. The financial savings and feeling of accomplishment are worth it.

Most outstanding forum! Cheers, STeve
Well done STeve - and I couldn't agree more about the value of this forum.

The Honda STs are great motorcycles, but they are also heavy and very complex machines - and without this forum, it would be well beyond most do-it-yerselfers to keep them running.

Pete

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I was merely passing along my own experience, as I, like many others, got a cherry-looking, like-new 1300.
It's a flipping Honda!!
No way I should have to do ALL of THAT just to make the rear brake work right -- right!!?? I mean, there's hardly any miles on it! (Little did I realize, that was what caused the problem.)
It MUST be something else!
(Not to mention, reading the Article on what's involved to replace the damned thing, I was intimidated as sh!t thinking of all the steps involved. True confession.)
But I called @Igofar and he slapped me around a little bit, so I humbled my obstinate self and dug in. Several phone calls (many?) and a day later, I actually did it.
And it worked!
Imagine that.
Never stop learning.
And there's ALWAYS someone who knows more than me... accept it, live with it, embrace it.
That's life.

Top Bottom