Bike getting hot at 120 mph

OP
OP
sportbikey
Why was the coolant like chocolate milk? That question needed to be answered and addresses before changing it. Thermostats are a known issue for the 13's. Usually manifest as low temperature issues. If the thermostat is working correctly the temperature seldom varies enough to notice.

I think just neglect. I flushed it and it has good coolant in it and I don't see any remaining particulates.

OP
OP
sportbikey
Maybe its km/hr? Yeah, I know the OP lives in Florida. He must be flying under the radar...so to speak.:rofl1:

Seriously, there was a thread a couple of years ago titled, I think, "How fast have you gone on your bike" or something like that. I was surprised how many guys have had their ST's wide open. I know of one 50 mile stretch of interstate that often sees traffic moving at 90+, so it is not surprising that someone here would crank his throttle open a bit wider. I remember watching cars fly by doing more than 20 mph faster than I was.

I ride a 600rr. Speed is what a bike is about to me.

OP
OP
sportbikey
dwalby - i updated the other thread - all seems fine after multiple flushes and am hoping not have to get into the water pump for a long time as that bike only has 20K on it and 20 years:D.

I run the bike over the interstate bridges in Tampa then through some traffic for a 35 mile loop between flushes and the bike has not got hot again. The temp stays on the low side and never goes to the red.

I'm thinking the OP on this thread may be in the same boat with his one flush not being enough to get the job done.
To be honest with you when I flushed it I flushed it all the way to distilled water and then from the spoiled water to coolant that was a multi coolant contents expelling process

OP
OP
sportbikey
Knock sensor code will retard the timing some and cause the engine to run hotter. But I think a properly operating cooling system would control temps to the point it doesn't overheat. It sound like there is a couple of things going on. Run water from a garden hose thru the radiator about 5-10 minutes both ways. That should flush out the radiator. definitely change the T'stat. You should be able to splice in a pig tail for the Knock sensor rather than changing the harness

I already bought the harness do you have any idea how hard the job is? Or is the job so hard do you recommend splicing lol?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I already bought the harness do you have any idea how hard the job is? Or is the job so hard do you recommend splicing lol?
Below is a video on you tube of someone changing his knock sensor harness. Looks quite detailed. The link is Part 5 of his 5 videos. Hopefully this isn't the same harness you need to change.....Check it out....

Bike
R1200rt
hard to do is relative to experience or comfort level. Code 26 has been ECM issue on most 1300. Inspect the melted connector carefully. Are the wires still making contact or is just the plastic holder melted. I would first swap right to left, knock sensors. If the code stays 26 now you can test the sensor. disconnect the ecm connector and back probe the wires to the sensor with a multi meter( even a cheap one) tap on the engine block with a hammer and each tap should give you a voltage reading. to verify check the other side also see video on testing knock sensor

Deleted member 5682

Also I have the knock sensor code and the knock sensor wire looks pretty melted I was curious on how hard it was to change that harness because I ordered one of those.

I'm new to the ST 1300 and I'm just trying to get this bike ready for a road trip in Florida this summer and I don't want to have any issues lol. Thanks for the help guys!!
JUST $.02: I am presently on the "downhill" side (re-assembly) from replacing the Sub-Wire (Engine). This part holds the couplers for both L/R knock sensors, neutral switch, oil pressure switch, ECT sensor w/ ground wire coupling. IMO, the newer version of this harness is MUCH more well-thought out that the original w/ heavy heat shielding on both knock-harness leads.

It is a big project, yet w/ logical-sequential processes. The oil pressure switch is the farthest /deepest dive, thence remaining connex as you back out to the right-side 10P into the main harness. For me, dealing with removal of the intransigent throttle-body assembly was the "heart-surgery"; as I write this, reinstalling the TB is the next step.

I will post a summary of my adventure once my STeed is back in one piece.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
No, do tell.
Yea, his biggest prob was having a guy from boston, 64 yrs old, on a big red bike cranking across his state like a homeless person.. wrinkled his brow when i could not tel him where i came from that morning or where i was going! He asked me if i knew how fast i was going and i pled the fifth!
Bingo! Just a warning and a lecture. 104 on my gps! I would have paid that ticket happily!

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
That Big Red Machine looks fantastic parked in front of the "Arkansas Statie" White Machine. And ..once again.....there are those magic times when one gets to interact with LEO's and all turns out well.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Yea, his biggest prob was having a guy from boston, 64 yrs old, on a big red bike cranking across his state like a homeless person.. wrinkled his brow when i could not tel him where i came from that morning or where i was going! He asked me if i knew how fast i was going and i pled the fifth!
Bingo! Just a warning and a lecture. 104 on my gps! I would have paid that ticket happily!
So you didn't know where you were coming from, or where you were going, or the speed. And you're a damned Yankee. Probably thought you had early onset dementia and wanted you out of his State as fast as possible....

RT

Top Bottom