Bike is now running superbly.

Bike
1991 ST1100
91 ST1100 was sitting a long time. Prev owner said he avg'd 300-500 miles a year for the last 5 years. And boy have I paid the price in frustration, money, time and energy.

But on the positive side, I have learned an aweful lot and made lots of new friends along the way, meaning you guys.

A special shoutout to Jed Gregory (juddspaintballs) for his time over the weekend in getting the carbs ironed out. We got it done. Excellent teacher.

A special thankyou to Mellow for sending his carb sync meter, which arrived just in time to finish the job. Thank you Mellow.

So what has been replaced since May 2013:

- fuel pump and filter
- bottom of gas tank repaired along with a tank liner material (had pin hole leaks after the paint wore off) Honda defective metal
- new spark plugs
- #40 jets and lots of cleaning. Some other small parts (carbs are now purring)
- new front and rear tire
- new front pads and rotors
- new forks seals
- all fluids changed
- new thermostat
- new water joints along with the major water maintenance service
- new rear wheel o rings and moly
- tighten up the bar risers (jb weld on the bolts going in to the risers, they kept spinning from being stripped over the years)
- the blue Honda fuel stabilizer liquid (3 tanks full) which cleared up the high speed bucking/hesitation issue

I can now say with all of your help over the last few months, I finally have an ST1100 that runs properly.

Upcoming projects:
- alternator has already gotten stuck but is currently working but may be on its' last legs (lights also dim w/blinker on)
- valve clearance check

All plastics are now getting a custom paint job since prev owner obviously used a paint bomb on the pieces and it was horrible. 3 different shades of the same color. I can't wait to get it all back together.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
I took a few of the clean section where the pair would have been, but it was said to me there are so many pics of carbs. Right now, I am very happy to hear a quiet engine. But due to the dang nail in the rear tire, I am waiting on the new tire so I can take it out on the highway safely.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Jed called me Friday afternoon to discuss the mixture settings on your carbs. Your bike is gonna run REALLY good!

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
thanks all. Wouldn't you know we weren't done yet. Apparently the gas cap was not functioning and the pressure built up so high that gas filled the left side cylinders (hydro-locked) We got it sorted, cleaned the gas cap (bought an aftermarket one that vents out the bottom of the cap and after one day no pressure buildup. Bike started right up this morning after using a new cap. We will test again this evening after the sun bakes it and see what happens.

Again, Jed came by and lended his expertise. I got the rear tire replaced yesterday and back on the bike last night and I will admit I stuck the axle in forgetting the dang caliper. What do you expect at 11pm and the dang squitos are biting you. Anyway, it's all back together now. Can anyone guess what I am doing tonight? You betcha, hauling a__ down the road with redone and cleaned carbs and water pipes and moly'd up rear wheel. Hopefully, no more issues from prev owner letting it sit for years.

Again, thanks for all your help everyone. I know alot has been learned and alot of $$ has been saved so I am ready to also "pay it forward" as John O. has stated.

Adam, it does run good. Thanks for the assist.

Nice post, Craig. Another classic '91 back on the road! Jed's a great STrider paying it forward I think.

Best, John
Thanks John. The help on here is incredible. I wouldn't even consider doing any of this without everyone providing the confidence and knowledge of the how to. I want to have my ST forever.

Nail in the NEW tire? Hate when that happens. Good on ya for rescuing a great bike.
Hey George. It's been a good learning experience. I always look for the positives in these frustrating circumstances. All I wanted to do was ride but each time I turned around something else went awry. It initially made the 320 miles home after purchase so I definitely counted my blessings that none of this happened on the way home after the purchase. I probably won't ride one home ever again from that far away. It could have been very expensive. I am very fortunate everything happened after I got it home. Now, it's time to ride. When is work over today?

Bike
92 ST1100
I would HIGHLY suggest going thru the electrical plug-ins, making sure they are clean and dobbed with dielectric grease before plugging back in. Pay particular attention to the votage regulator plug-in and ALL grounds. The 28amp alt. system is NOT an issue. Out of sight, out of mind electrical plug-ins ARE the issue with this charging system, and eventually will follow suit even if changed out to the brush air-cooled alt. system if the electrical is not properly maintained.

I highly agree with the electrical maintenance trick. Many many Hondas have a continuous ground circuit that attaches all electrical functions to one skimpy ground. I have fixed repeated RR/ electrical failures (honda) which were due to faulty/ compromised grounding.

WW

Top Bottom