Bleeding rear brake air lock

Hi all I made a rookie mistake on my ST1100 and while bleeding the rear brakes I was only watching the front master cylinder not the rear one! I only copped it when I had run the reservoir completely dry, I tried in vain to bleed the air lock out, I think I have the fluid pulled back into the system as far as the bleed nipples but I have no pressure on the brake pedal at all, and no matter how much and what I do I can't seem to bleed any further, there is obviously a fairly big air lock but am I to bleed anywhere else? or do something different as its a big airlock? When i try pump up pressure nothing happens when I open the bleed valve on the rear brakes, unsure if I need to do something different or bleed somewhere else??? I turned on the bike and the rear brake is doing nothing when pedals pressed the wheel is slowly spinning while on the centre stand

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
It’s all good…you likely need a MityVac that can pull the air out of the rear brake line at the caliper bleed nipple- you can pump the brake pedal til the cows come home and won’t generate pressure- you need to vacuum bleed the rear brake. Not hard to do, but you do need the right bleeder. Even a hand vacuum pump can work - I did the same thing to my Silverwing and had to spend some time vacuum bleeding the system with a MityVac (I’m sure other makers produce the hand pump).

OP
OP
Hi Erdoc48, Thanks I have just finished fixing it, I pulled out the black diaphragm, it unfolded like a rubbery silicone collapsable lunchbox, perfectly into the reservoir when I was bleeding it the first time and watching the front brake reservoir mistakingly and because it fitted perfectly into the reservoir I just assumed it was part of it and I poured the new dot 4 fluid into it, and I obviously pulled all of liquid out of the lines and the diaphragm just stayed sucked down in the reservoir. To say I was delighted to finally figure it out, and then I properly bled the system in no time at all thanks anyway!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hi Erdoc48, Thanks I have just finished fixing it, I pulled out the black diaphragm, it unfolded like a rubbery silicone collapsable lunchbox, perfectly into the reservoir when I was bleeding it the first time and watching the front brake reservoir mistakingly and because it fitted perfectly into the reservoir I just assumed it was part of it and I poured the new dot 4 fluid into it, and I obviously pulled all of liquid out of the lines and the diaphragm just stayed sucked down in the reservoir. To say I was delighted to finally figure it out, and then I properly bled the system in no time at all thanks anyway!
You are not the first to have done that. We won't discuss my source of information about this screwup.

Top Bottom