Blind spot mirrors

Bike
ST1100
I think this is most useful farkle at least for ST1100. We have huge mirrors but for some reason with big blind zones behind. In two years I got 3 near miss accidents on the road, and all three times were caused by me trying to change lanes right onto cars in blind spots. So I decided to do not play with luck and stuck little spherical mirrors, now I can see almost everything and even more that I need. Very happy nowIMG_20220620_155648.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ended up putting adjustable spots on the inside lower corners - which also removed all blind spots for me.
But I guess out of habit, I still do a 'head check' before I change lanes.
I figure mirrors can only say 'no' - a 'head check' is needed for a say 'yes'. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Agree that head- checks are reliable, but sometimes (mostly in heavy traffic) need to constantly keep an eye on the car in front, especially in merging intersections. And also good to keep situational awareness of traffic around watching mirrors by side vision, without turning head at all

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Agree that head- checks are reliable, but sometimes (mostly in heavy traffic) need to constantly keep an eye on the car in front, especially in merging intersections. And also good to keep situational awareness of traffic around watching mirrors by side vision, without turning head at all
Yeah when traffic is heavy and moving fast you've got to be very careful.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
About 14 years ago, changing carrer, I became a city bus driver (and Montreal is a big city).

One of the first thing we learn, is that accidents generally happend, mostly : when you are changing lane, and at intersections.

From that moment, I stopped changing lane so often. Most of the time I will simply adapt my speed to the vehicule in front of me, at least for a few minutes. Often times, this vehicule will change of lane, or I will finally pass him whithout hurry, and when it is real safe to do it.

And now I can see just how much lots of drivers are constantly changing lane, even zigzagging between cars, sometimes at highway speeds.

When you have 2-3 lane or more, going in the same directions, there are contraction and extension zones going on constantly, moving like slinkies.
So, as soon as it slows down, we want to go in the other lane that moves faster. Until this lane start to slow down too. And then you have to change lane again.
But at a larger scale, in some circumstances (say heavy traffic going slowly on all lanes), all lanes are going at about the same speed.

Changing lane is a bad habit. :rofl1: But sometimes we have to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
got to be very careful
once I laid bike down because of head check in that kind of situation. Just looked to the left and car in the front slammed on the brakes. Didn't get any damage because I managed to stop but lost balance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I got my 1300 back in 2013, and at that time there were a number of vendors selling rectangular (curved) blind spot mirrors with a small 'foot' and a ball and socket joint for adjustment. One of our members was selling them, a mc store in Vermont/New Hampshire had a version, and of course they were all over ebay and Amazon. Fast forward a few years and they seem to have been cheapened and were not as good as the 'early' ones.

Sorry for no pictures for the below farkle, but my ST was sold years ago.
I liked the type of blind spot mirror I'm describing because I took a 1" wide strip of aluminum about 4 to 5" long and placed it along the outer edge of the dash (just inboard of the mirrors), and bent the top inch so that it was roughly vertical. I marked the locations of the two screws along the dash edge on the aluminum, drilled holes and painted these new mirror brackets black. The blind spot mirrors were then mounted on these new brackets.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
More appropriately called a "shoulder check", as you are looking over your shoulder for a good look at your blind spots. At least, that's the term new riders were taught in courses in Canada that I was involved with.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
When I was in Driver’s Ed at 16 we had an instructor with a heavy German accent and he would shout schulter check if you forgot to perform a shoulder check before a lane change or turn.

Bike
2015 ST1300 Pan
We call it a "lifesaver" here, I do it without thinking about it now.
I think its quicker to do than a blind spot mirror or I find it is.

Top Bottom