Bluetooth intercoms for beginners?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have never used any kind of intercom or in-helmet audio system, so my questions may be simplistic. Primarily, I would like to be able to listen to voice directions from my phone-based sat nav (I use offline maps so no need for a SIM card) because I've always just had to navigate by watching the directions on the screen. I would also quite like to have intercom functionality for the occasions I get to ride with my friend. I don't much like to ride in a group, much less synchronise frequencies and listen in to their chatter. The thing is, the amount I would use it really doesn't justify spending megabucks. All those Cardo and Sena devices are way above my pay grade.

More basically:
  • Is it possible to have the helmet speakers relaying my satnav directions to me, while also able to cut in with the comms from the other rider?
  • Is it possible to speak to the other rider without messing with the Bluteooth settings on my phone? The phone app doesn't (need to) respond to voice commands. I just want to be able to chat ad hoc with my friend while riding.
I saw Lexin devices mentioned on here, and had thought something along the lines of the Lexin G2P might suffice. It doesn't seem entirely awful, but am I missing some huge piece of the puzzle? Whatever device I decide to buy, I want to be able to recommend it to my friend, or at least have compatibility with whatever device she might buy.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Buy a set of intercoms, you have an option to buy them in pairs. When you buy a set they’re usually paired right off the get go. When you ride with a friend you can loan them the other set, doesn’t take to long to install or remove from a helmet.
Once the set is paired with a phone the intercom will deal with the turn by turn, it will cut the music (if you choose to listen to your tunes when riding) when an instruction from the navigation is apparent. It will also override your communication with the other rider.
Phone calls take priority over navigation instructions if I recall, it depends how you configure your phone.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been waiting for a long time to get a BT set that could do what my wired Autocom system would do.

It took a very long time, but the Cardo Edge Duo has managed it.

What I needed was
Rider to pillion / rider to rider Intercom - turn on and go.
BT connection to stanav so that I can hear instructions (and music if I fancy it) from the XT.
XT control of phone calls - incoming and outgoing. I don't get many, but I do like to be able to phone home without taking my helmet off - I always park up to do this.
And the system automatically displays caller name, and gives the option to dismiss on the Zumo screen.

I wasn't bothered about music from phone or being able to use Hey Siri / Hey Google / Hey Alexa type commands. I have tried BT music from spotify and it is pretty poor - the music gets garbled - I suspect as devices try to connect to the Xt / Phone / Cardo. So any BT link between phone and Cardo is turned off in my setup.

The instructions are not very straight forward on how to achieve this - as most headsets want to be at the centre of the communication system. I like the Zumo to be at the centre. It works better fro me.

1702396040174.pngBUT

You can get most of that with a simple BT headset - except the rider to pillion or rider to rider. £20- £30. You'd have to find one that has ear pieces that do not hurt when you put your helmet on, and find a way to (velcro) the microphone half of the lead into your helmet. But a quick search of t'internet for motorcycle helmet headphones reveals these. £30 Amazon Link
Please understand - I am not recommending these - I know nothing about them, except that they exists and were the first to pop up in my search.

I did buy a cheap BT earbud type headset, and I use it for testing the BT set up from my XT so that I don't have to go to the bike in the garage to test things out. XT has built in speakers. Zumos like the 590 and 595 do not.

These will give you phone call capability in your helmet and call control from the satnav. If you friend has the same set up, and you have enough talk time, just call each other on the phone. Cheap and easy to set up.

I've not yet found a way of getting the phone to pick up the headset mic through the Zumo for saying 'Hey Google'. It works fine during a phone call though.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
1702396040174.png

You can get most of that with a simple BT headset - except the rider to pillion or rider to rider. £20- £30. You'd have to find one that has ear pieces that do not hurt when you put your helmet on, and find a way to (velcro) the microphone half of the lead into your helmet. But a quick search of t'internet for motorcycle helmet headphones reveals these. £30 Amazon Link
Please understand - I am not recommending these - I know nothing about them, except that they exists and were the first to pop up in my search.

I looked at these because the price was decent but the reviews said not to waste your money as audio quality and volume was poor.

OP
OP
Arellcat
Bike
2006 ST1300
I should have added that I ride with hearing protection, so I'm not looking to use earbuds, and in-helmet speakers will need to be thin and loud.

My making-calls phone lives in my luggage, while my phone*-based satnav is what's on the dashboard. I hadn't thought about invoking my actual phone for making hands-free calls to my friend while on the move; I think I'd rather have the intercom do it direct, like a good old CB, because it's free and doesn't need to be within mobile signal range, and because it would only require interfacing with one device rather than two. When we ride we're usually in sight of each other anyway, often using good old hand signals and nods of the head to communicate - but on longer motorway trips I suppose we might get a bit separated.

* I say phone because technically it is, but as I mentioned up-thread, it has no SIM in it because I just use it like I would a regular satnav.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm assuming you're talking about riding w/passenger, if so the dual pack of comms is preferred as you'll usually get a little better price.

I like Sena for the most point. The 30k and upwards has mesh and it's 'like the good old days of CBs'... you turn the mesh on and it automatically connects to channel 1 and anyone else on that channel. You can do private channels if you like but I've ridden w/mesh on before and never gotten a random conversation from another bike crossing my path... unlike the 'good old days of CBs' where channel 19 was pretty much always active .. but.. that's just the numbers ..

Anyway, the Sena units for me have gotten 13 hrs of usage with just me and listening to music. Yes, once you BT to the sat-nav phone you can hear the instructions, listen to any music loaded and talk w/passenger or another rider using the same brand headset.

There are cross-brand options for connecting to other riders but that gets finicky and it's just better to get the brand that most of the riders you ride with are using.

Once connected to the phone, android or apple, you can use voice commands so you don't have to even touch the headset.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Does it matter what set/brand you buy? Something like cardo or are there others that are just as good?
I have a Sena 20S. I also have a cheap Chinese knock-off. The Sena 20S is now an older model so I am not familiar with what changes have occurred with newer communicators. i.e. I can't speak to whether or not the range of the universal intercomm protocol has improved, or whether the mesh techniology has made the universal intercom protocol redundant.

With that in mind, here are my thoughts based on the two that I have.

1-As important as the brand is, if you intend to use it as an intercom with someone else, just as important is that they be the same brand.
e.g. Sena and Cardo can pair with each other, or any other brand that has universal intercom capability, and they will work fine. However, they pair using what is referred to as a universal intercom protocol. I never had any trouble pairing the knock-off with the Sena but, while it works well enough the range is reduced when using universal intercom as opposed to two units of the same brand using their protocol. If you consider the fact that the range claimed in the specifications will likely not be achieved in the real world to begin with, further reducing the range can be an issue.

2- The volume that the cheap knock-offs are capable of producing is less than what my Sena is capable of. I always ride with ear plugs. I can hear the Sena easily without it being anywhere near maximum volume. At maximum volume I have difficulty hearing the knock-off above 50 MPH.

3- Battery life is good with both. I have done many 10-hour days without recharging the battery. Battery life is of course dependent on how it is used. Using the intercom function consumes the most power. Used only to listen to sat-nav instructions or music the battery lasts an extremely long time. The knock-off actually has longer battery life than the Sena.

4- Many of the cheap knock-offs use the same plug for both speaker connections and as a charging port. This means that you can not charge the unit while it is being used. With the Sena these two ports are separate meaning that it can be plugged in to charge it while it is being used. Something to be aware of if you do long rides and want to recharge the communicator while underway.

5- Waterproofness. If this is a consideration, specifically check for this. As expensive as it was my Sena is listed only as water resistant, not waterproof. This seems ludicrous to me considering its intended use. Fortunately it has not suffered any ill effects from riding in the rain with it on my helmet. In contrast, my $40.00 knock-off is listed as waterproof. Cardo is listed as waterproof I believe.

6- I am sure that all of the added features that are available on the higher-end communicators like my Sena 20S, and the technology needed to make them work, contributes to the inflated price. The reality is that the overwhelming majority of these functions I never use, and suspect that most people do not. I use the intercom and connect to my sat-nav. My phone connects to the sat-nav as well, not the communicator. I don't use any of the other features it has.

I mention the above because while I would shy away from the really cheap knock-off like I have (I bought it as an experiment before the Sena arrived) I do not believe that the top-end Sena or Cardo are absolutely necessary either. There are many communicators available in the middle that have basic intercom and phone connectivity without all of the other features. Some of them get very good reviews. It all depends on what the intended use will be. If the intended use is only between two people as an intercom, these mid-range units work perfectly fine. If the intent is to communicate with larger groups and take advantage of things like the mesh technology, the higher-end Sena or Cardo would most likely be the better option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arellcat
Bike
2006 ST1300
I suspect my needs are similar to GK's, with the addition of a bit of intercom to a fellow rider. It's pretty rare for me to ride with a passenger: I think I've done it only once, ever.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I looked at these because the price was decent but the reviews said not to waste your money as audio quality and volume was poor.
Yeah - probably. I was focusing on the cheaper soluton required. Personally, when I was hard up in early days of motorcycling, I tried all sorts of inexpensive solutions, none of which worked very well. So I saved my pennies and bought top of the range stuff. I've just removed a load of Autocom gear which is wired and is brilliant, and I have gone for the Cardo Packtalk Edge Duo. It is good - but I miss the 'foldback' I think it is called - where you get to hear your own voice in the earphones. I think that is because the BT systems always have a delay between the talking and the hearing.

@Arellcat - PM me if you are interested in the Autocom SuperProAvi stuff. I cleaned it up, tested it and packed it away with the intention of ebaying it. I'm in the UK as well.

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Yeah - probably. I was focusing on the cheaper soluton required. Personally, when I was hard up in early days of motorcycling, I tried all sorts of inexpensive solutions, none of which worked very well. So I saved my pennies and bought top of the range stuff. I've just removed a load of Autocom gear which is wired and is brilliant, and I have gone for the Cardo Packtalk Edge Duo. It is good - but I miss the 'foldback' I think it is called - where you get to hear your own voice in the earphones. I think that is because the BT systems always have a delay between the talking and the hearing.

@Arellcat - PM me if you are interested in the Autocom SuperProAvi stuff. I cleaned it up, tested it and packed it away with the intention of ebaying it. I'm in the UK as well.
Curious why you stopped using the Autocom? I am just diving into it during the off season.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I switched from an old Honda Valkyrie CB system to the Sena system and love it. (I've also had Autocomm and J&M Intergratrs.) I've got both the Sena20 EVO and the Sena 30K. The big difference between the two is the Sena 30 does 'mesh' and as Joe says, it's a lot like the old CB. Anybody on Sena mesh you can talk to without any setup effort between the units. The Sena 20, Sena 30 and Sena 50 all fit on the same base and it only takes a few seconds to swap the head unit. I have a GPS, MP3 music player and a radar detector but I chose to run them through a '3 into 1' amplifier and then run a cable (Sena provided) from my Senas to the amplifier (I don't mind being 'wired' for that). I also use 32 db earplugs to protect what's left of my hearing. I have 4 different bikes and I did not want to go through the hassle of 're bluetoothing' every time I rode a different one. With my setup, I just plug in and go without doing the 'Bluetooth Hat Dance'. If I am riding in a group, I use the Sena 30 for the mesh, if I am by myself I use the Sena 20 because it seems to have a longer battery life. I have Bluetooth connected my phone to the Senas and used it but I don't want calls while I am riding. The key is if you are going to communicate with another rider, life is a lot simpler if they have the same brand. Sometimes you can find a deal on a used one on EBay but they usually sell pretty quickly. I picked up a Sena 30K, used twice, for $129 - which was a deal.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Personally for your stated needs, I'd stay away from Sena and Cardo. You'll pay a premium for either, and you don't know what you really want yet. Both are good brands, but if you buy Cardo and find you do want to communicate with other riders and they all have Sena...you're the odd one out. And vice-versa.

On my post-retirement ride, the other guy was the leader of one of the rider groups in the area. He told me he bought two of the off-brands and would give the second one to the rider at the sweep position. They always worked for them. He seemed very happy with his. And that was back in 2017 when the technology wasn't as good.

At $57, you can afford to throw them away if they don't work for you. Also, I noticed a lot of positive reviews. If my Sena dies, I might consider going that route myself.

Chris

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
On my post-retirement ride, the other guy was the leader of one of the rider groups in the area. He told me he bought two of the off-brands and would give the second one to the rider at the sweep position. They always worked for them. He seemed very happy with his. And that was back in 2017 when the technology wasn't as good.

At $57, you can afford to throw them away if they don't work for you. Also, I noticed a lot of positive reviews. If my Sena dies, I might consider going that route myself.
Which model are these, please?

Bike
2010 ST1300A
This Lexin model works well for what you are wanting to use it for. The other one may too, but I have the B4FM. I ride with earplugs as well, and the volume is sufficient.

It does not automatically switch between phone or gps interaction and intercom though. We ride 2 up, and I would love to get a set of units that painlessly, automatically, will interrupt music, when the intercom is used, and then fade back to music when done. That seems to be a tall order. I don't have use of connecting to multitudes of riders which seems to be the focus of most high end units.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
but I miss the 'foldback' I think it is called - where you get to hear your own voice in the earphones.
I have a Sena 20S Evo. It has this option. I find it surprising that the Cardo doesn't being an equally high-end unit.
We ride 2 up, and I would love to get a set of units that painlessly, automatically, will interrupt music, when the intercom is used, and then fade back to music when done. That seems to be a tall order.
My Sena does this. I would think that the Cardo does as well but never having had one I don't know for certain.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not that I have found. The speech in the pillion earpiece comes a large fraction after I have spoken. So I probably stopped looking for it. But I will go hunting....... and report back.
.... can't find any setting. Cardo Support link points to a non-existent page, but found an old link. Message sent .......

Last edited:
Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
I use the Cardon Blacktalk units. They were simple to install in the helmets, sync to each other as well as my phone and radar detector. Range is as good as one would expect and battery life is phenomenal.

Top Bottom