Bluetooth Noise-Canceling Earbuds

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Have any of you used BT noise-canceling earbuds? Did they cancel the background noise as well as ear plugs?

Chris

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I use Etymotic earbuds. There are several different varieties on Amazon. The aren't really noise canceling; they are noise blocking. Like ear plugs with little speakers in them. Great sound and does a great job of blocking the noise. They are wired. I plug them into my Sena, but you can get a BT receiver and plug them into it if you don't want to use a Sena.

Bike
2006 ST1300
On other posters recommendations, I tried Plugphones, which not only block noise very effectively, but have some pretty good sound .
Available on Amazon for about 17 bux.
Mine have lasted over 2 years so far, and I use them for mowing, riding, and at work

Bike
2006 ST1300
In answer to the original question, noise cancelling earbuds don’t do much for riding noise- the frequencies are too varied and are generally too percussive for the circuitry to handle.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I tried Bose QC??? - their orginal wired noise cancelling ear buds. They worked great for killing riding noise for me w/ a few caveats. First, there is a small bump in the outer ear canal with a fancy anatomical name. This bump is what holds ear buds in place and allows them do do their job without falling out on the floor. Unfortunately, a small percentage of the population does not have these bumps (sort of like a percentage of the population has bumps and lumps on their head to the delight of phrenologists) and said ear buds will not stay lodged in their ears. I have this problem*. Second issue, which is not universal, is the turbulence behind semi's caused a 'slap' on the helmet that maxed out the noise cancelling ability of the ear buds. This resulted in a loud 'THUMP' similar to the bottoming of speakers when (old) high powered amps were turned on. I found this painful. A couple of years ago I bought Bose's latest and greatest (and very $$$) wireless noise cancelling head phones, and while seated in the front seat of my car, nearly jumped up through the roof as the door was slammed shut. Same percussive noise that @klaproth described. I tested those headphones on a 1200 mile trip and returned them because random loud sounds did the same thing.

Interestingly, I've since bought two pair of Bose's QC25 headphones and I wear them in my noisy GMC van and on long trips. These early model headphones do not exhibit that percussive response. Dinged if I know why, but they will not fit on your head with a helmet.

Why not buy whatever brand you like from Amazon...but only if they say 'free shipping and free returns'. Read all the fine print. Give them an honest try and decide if you want to keep them.

*I was able to get the buds to stay in by washing my ear first - no perspiration or skin oil, and they would stay put for a few hours. I rode with them on a few long days (for me) in the saddle and they worked fine - just stay away from the wake turbulence caused by trucks and large SUV's (Suburban types). In the end I gave up on them and went back to Howard Leight foam ear plugs.

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Thanks for the suggestions. The Plugfones look interesting. A couple of them are also noise-reduction...and BT. If I used the BT from them to the radar detector transmitter, that would eliminate my "problem".

Chris

Top Bottom