BMW F800ST

STOC #
Anybody know anything about these? I'm not abandoning my ST, but I am looking at buying something that might be lighter weight to use for a year or so while my arm is recovering from repairs. I've looked at everything out there, but no one seems to know anything about this one (and it is still an "ST" sorta).

motoman

Prince of Darkness
Bike
2006 ST1300A
It's a great bike.

Recent road tests show it destroys the current VFR. :eek:

Good, useable power, light weight, belt drive. It's gonna catch on big.

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
If you are having troubles with your arm, the BMW 800 might not be good for you. It's got a little bit of a foreward lean to it.

You know, that '05 (steel frame) Yamaha FZ1 had a WONDERFUL seating position. Comfortable, lightweight, and fun.

I would reccomend finding one of those until your arm is okay for the ST.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
John, from a friend that only wants the best for you, are you sure a break might not be best? And time does go by fast. How are plans for Cruise-STOC coming Lisa wants to know ?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The 800ST got a wonderful review in the British moto press.

I see these problems though. It will be lighter but your wallet will be lighter as well at purchase and then down the line. The same guy owns BMW of Daytona and BMW of Orlando so where are you going to take a new BMW for service? Both shops have garnered ill reputations due to the owner. The folks that work there, particulary in parts and service, are great but they have to march to the owner's tune. I have heard too many bad stories from many BM owners in my circle and I have a couple of my own. Dusty Miller is a great guy and his Tallahassee BMW dealership gets alot of business from south GA and north FL, but Tallahassee is a long, long way from your home.

RTETR

Craig Clark
Yeppers it's a sweet bike. Lacks much of the wind and weather protection but a great sport-touring machine.

Looking to trade my wife's GS650 and move her up to the 800ST next season after she's proven a couple years on two wheels on the GS.

Seems BMW have perhaps found a hole in the mid-size market that only the 650 Vstrom, BMW GS/CS and Triumph's are in.

Mother Honda... when will you respond? How about giving North America the Deauville as an alternative to this 800cc Beemer?

Bora20

...watching & learning...
STOC #
Mother Honda... when will you respond? How about giving North America the Deauville as an alternative to this 800cc Beemer?
I agree completely. My wife say this in one of my magazines and loved it. She likes the concept of the ST, but it is way to big and heavy for here. This would be perfect.

Back on topic, got yourself a used BMW F650CS. Very similar to the F650GS/Dakar, but street oriented. Belt drive and a comfortable riding position.

They aren't sold new anymore and since they are ugly, you should be able to get one for a good deal. I rode one when they were new and I really liked it, but couldn't see spending that much for a new bike as a new rider. Paid half of its cost for a new SV650S instead.

jww193

Jeff W
I took the F800 for a test drive, the same day as the new Tiger. I was not impressed with the F800. I really wanted to like this bike, because the size really fit me well and it looks great. But.....Almost no wind protection, it was quite a chore holding on going down the interstate, quite a bit of a forward lean, Clutch was really touchy, a bit of vibration, and some really funky expandable bags. It did have awesome brakes though. Riding my st1100 back to work I was thinking that the beemer didn't even compare.

Top Bottom