BMW fined 3 million by NHSTA

If it's so hot in the BMW - O - Sphere, how come nobody on the boards mentioned it?

Big deal...the NHSTA didn't like the timliness or the detail of the information and slapped them with what is by their own definition a relatively small fine. Regardless, the vehicles got recalled.

I am more interested in the FD investigation. This is just noise frankly...

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
A note at the bottom of that article mentions they fined Toyota over $35,000,000 over the sudden acceleration thing. I seem to recall all the finding from that incident turned out to be driver error. Am I remember it wrong?

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it's so hot in the BMW - O - Sphere, how come nobody on the boards mentioned it?

Big deal...the NHSTA didn't like the timliness or the detail of the information and slapped them with what is by their own definition a relatively small fine. Regardless, the vehicles got recalled.

I am more interested in the FD investigation. This is just noise frankly...
I think there is a rule here against cross posting between forums so I did not include any links earlier or now but I can PM a few thread links to you. If you haven't seen them I guess you don't frequent any BMW motorcycle forums. :)

The problem behind the fine is not informing the NHSTA in a timely manner about problems affecting safety that BMW knows about. Is the FD problem not a perfect example of this?

Bike
2006 ST1300
A note at the bottom of that article mentions they fined Toyota over $35,000,000 over the sudden acceleration thing. I seem to recall all the finding from that incident turned out to be driver error. Am I remember it wrong?
Interesting that the people who investigated, and fined, Toyota happen to have a financial stake in their closest competition. Conflict of interest anyone? From the many auto mags and auto engineering & repair publications I've read with articles about this subject, they have never found any actual evidence that any of the accidents involving Toyotas actually had failed parts in them. Not once could a stuck pedal be duplicated using the very same vehicles that supposedly crashed because of a "stuck pedal". However, there were many charges brought against drivers for fraud over it. Use your own judgement...

Back on subject...I have no ill will toward BMW for failed final drives. Any mfg. can make a bad design or batch of parts. Unfortunately, they ignored owner complaints, and it took the NHTSA to get anywhere with them. BMW was kicking and screaming right up to the end. That is where I have the problem with them. Hopefully they learn something from this and get back to the customer satisfaction they used to have in the 70s and 80s.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
That's pretty much how I remembered the Toyota thing too. I know I saw one vid (captured on a traffic cam) when the Toyota ran into a building. Brake lights never flashed 'til AFTER it had stopped. Driver said she had the brake pedal to the floor. Investigation showed no mechanical problems in the car. Attributed to driver error (she had the accelerator to the floor, not the brake.)

All of it very similar to the Audi problem from several years ago.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
looks like BMW prices are gonna go up some more to cover the fine :rofl1:

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I think there is a rule here against cross posting between forums so I did not include any links earlier or now but I can PM a few thread links to you. If you haven't seen them I guess you don't frequent any BMW motorcycle forums. :)
I agree dduelin: the BMW boards are all over this info. A good thing about boards like BMWSportTouring.com and ADVrider is that they are relatively free of cheerleaders.

Bike
2006 ST1300
All of it very similar to the Audi problem from several years ago.
Boy do I remember the Audi deal.
I just bought my 82 Audi 5000 when this happened. I think it was 60 min. who went after them. It was latter shown that 60 min had tampered with the cars that they said had a problem.
Richard Petty got in on the act and did a video to show how silly it was to say that the car would just accelerate without the driver being able to stop them. He took the car out on the track and held the accelerator to the floor and when it reached the speed of over 100 mph he then applied the brakes with his left foot to stop the car rather quickly.
It sure killed the resale of my car.

The problem behind the fine is not informing the NHSTA in a timely manner about problems affecting safety that BMW knows about. Is the FD problem not a perfect example of this?

Yes, please PM me the all the links you can find and please do not spare any time or effort.

As for the FD not being a perfect example of "this". Why don't we let the NHSTA do their investigation before we decide that? Opps, I forgot....they rely on data, not I "l know a few guys". Do you want me to tell you the failures shouldn't happen at all again? I will in the interst of not being "poked at for being too dismissive" for your liking.

The problem with the article that I have is that it lacks information. How late was BMW on reporting?... and I'd like to know the issues. Read between the lines relative to the small fine, and it's obvioulsy not an aggregious infraction by BMW. I'm not saying it's okay, but it does not wad my shorts in the same way as it may others.

Really, let it go....

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Motorcycles are supposed to be fun and none of this is worth getting upset about. Have a great weekend!

Top Bottom