BMW K1200 LT

Anybody owns or has owned/ridden a BMW K1200 LT?, Does it feel to much heavier than the ST, specially in slow speed manouvers? Any comments on it will be welcome.

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I drove 1 and I liked it. Once moving the weight disapears. I like it better than a wing but the price here is nearly 8000 more than in the US in converted dollars just like everything else here.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Anybody owns or has owned/ridden a BMW K1200 LT?, Does it feel to much heavier than the ST, specially in slow speed manouvers? Any comments on it will be welcome.
Yes, and yes. 105,000 trouble free miles. Great bike for the long haul, GREAT weather protection. My choice for 2 up and winter riding; otherwise it's usually in the barn. :)

Tom
Gainesville, Mo.
Weeki Wachee, Fl.

OP
OP
Does it feel too much heavier than the ST in slow motion, tight u-turns, uneven pavement, etc. I ask because I am 5'4 and not of the very strong type. It worries me that it might be uncontrolable for me, yet I would love to buy one that they offer me at a great price....what do you think? Am I dreaming? or is it possible for a short not very strong guy to have it as a nice ride for long journeys with the wife. Do you consider it to be insane??, thanks for your straight forward answers.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Does it feel too much heavier than the ST in slow motion, tight u-turns, uneven pavement, etc.......
Yes - in a parking lot it makes the ST feel like a sportbike. You haven't given us much information on previous bikes or riding experience but from the info you did provide I wouldn't even test ride an LT.

Do you consider it to be insane??.......
For a "not very strong" 5'4 guy and wife - YES. It isn't fun picking your wife and bike up at every gas stop :D.

I'd probably be looking at a modern metric cruiser with a low seat height for a 2-up nice long journey ride. :)

Can a LT work for the truely insane - sure. Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Don't run for a cruzer just yet!
I have a 27" inseam and can ride the ST1100 and ST1300 without a problem...

Good luck,
Mark

I rode a friends LT for a while on a trip. Definitely heavier than an ST at rest and at low speeds, but is well balanced under way and rides nicely. To me it felt like plenty of usable power at normal speeds, but was not happy try to go at higher speeds. Felt like an inline 4 (I still have my old one after 27 years), the V4 just behaves differently. I would own an LT no problems. I am 5'8".

I owned a 2000 for about 3 years and loved the bike but I am not a mechanic, so the closest BMW bike dealer was an hour and a half away. So everytime I needed severice work I had to call and make an appointment and hope to stay with the bike until it was finished. 1 year before I sold the bike the rear drive went out on the bike with only 15,000 miles and then the ABS went out on the bike 6 months later. I don't even want to talk about price to have them repaired. Great bike! I enjoyed riding it very much but even for me at 6'5" and 230lbs it was a heavy bike for me. If I ever buy another touring bike I will consider the LT but for no more long distance riding then I do I will continue to ride the ST.
Kevin Lee
kllpc@wildblue.net:06biker:

Bike
ST 1300
I liked the 1200 LT when I test drove one in Daytona last year. A bit heavier than the ST, but I enjoyed the ride very much. Also, I noticed it was quite top-heavy, but a beautiful machine nonetheless...

Accordiing to the Sept issue of Motorcyclist Magazines 'MC Garage' section on pp.104, the bike has several issues, such as squealing brakes, oil leakage and wayward shift linkages to name a few, they said.

Last edited:
Love my LT, but wouldn't recommend it for you based on your description, even with the low seat. Try the GW, but you may not want to put the time in here as an admin :) I can't even bring myself to mention the HD models, but there are options.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Love my LT, but wouldn't recommend it for you based on your description, even with the low seat. Try the GW, but you may not want to put the time in here as an admin :) I can't even bring myself to mention the HD models, but there are options.
Ha... I should really shake the boat up and make YOU and admin... :nuts1: :d1:

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I've rode Joel's (Tarheel_Rider) LT, it's a very heavy and tall bike.

I'm 5'11 and I was uncomfortable with the weight/height when stopped and slow moving. It does totally disappear when moving.

At 5'4 for you....I wouldn't recommend this heavy beast.

I have a nice little Vfer for sale.....:D

Top Bottom