BMW K1200S Advice

OP
OP
squid101
He lives by you in islip where exactly is he going to have it serviced?
He lives on the north shore and I believe from the dealer he is going to buy it, which is called Gold Coast. This is where he got his Ducati and MV Augusta.

STOC #
oh ok if he has a relationship with them already. Did they finally become an authorized dealer? Im from port jefferson i moved up here in may. If he is used to the service requirement of the MV and Ducati I'm sure the BMW requirements will be no big deal for him.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Check out the BMWMOA BMW motorcycle owners association web site. You'll find all the dirt there. Note that every once in a while someone posts about an ST problem here. The issues are sparce and different. Lots of owners have the same recurring problems with the BMW genere. Some models more so than others.
robert
That is easily explained by BMW owners vs ST owners numbers alone - I've always had a BMW in my stable for the last 20 years and have over 300,000 trouble free miles. Don't have a dealer within 300 miles either. I find maintenance easy and on the rare occasions my BMW's have been to a dealer the mechanics have ALWAYS known what they were doing.

My LT has 105K and the original rear drive bearing, never lubed a spline, been to Alaska and back, and has been trouble free......... as always ..... YMMV :D

Tom

Most concerns w/ the ST are personal issues, drivetrain is a mechanical issue. I hope the post is correct that they've adressed the issue, but the last thing I read was BMW was not covering drive failures and wrote them off as wear and tear items. The last iron butt was a public relations nightmare for BMW.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
2010 NT700V
OH-yeah - you can't just hook up a Battery Tender either; it messes with the can-bus. BWM makes a SPECIAL (expenisve) battery tender type device just for you and your pocket book!
You only need the BMW charger if you want to charge the battery through the factory accessory socket.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other and in fact it does appear that of late, BMW have released many models without sufficient testing and build quality whereas Honda are renowned for mechanical reliability.
Looks like BMW is finally owning up to some quality control "problems"....

By the way, maybe the best forum specific to K bikes, is the i-bmw.com forum.

TPadden

Tom Padden
....Anyone researching the ST1300 here without asking questions would go straight to the technical or issues forums and see one word more than any other... Heat! ....
My "other" BMW (R1150RS) was my choice for the 7,000 mile Great Northwest trip I just completed - Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, California.

It was my choice for one reason - lack of HEAT :D!

It's never been back to a dealer and has performed flawlessly with simple oil changes and screw and lock nut valve checks for over 40,000 miles so far (original drive bearings and again no spline lube ).

Tom
Gainesville, Mo.
Weeki Wachee, Fl.

Bike
ST1300 2006 ABS
Hi this is Bike Guy, Robin

I recently picked up a 2006 K1200S BMW in silver.

The bike is awesome. I can't go on and on because I don't have the time but it is a beautiful machine. Don't listen to the naysayers. If you want to find out some real information, go to a BMW shop and talk to a service manager and you will find out histories on all different types of bikes that BMW makes. People tend to put all of their eggs in one basket. One bike out of 100,000 has a problem and they are all no good.

Different years, models all have different problems. If you are going to say something negative about a bike, make sure you have your information right and that you know what you are talking about. Oh yea, and don't let your ego get you because your bike is the best and nobodies else is.

I love my ST. I love my ZX14 and I love my new BMW. I've had allot of bikes and I do mean allot. They are all special to me but that is right, to me. What somebody else thinks could be completely different. One bike doesn't make everybody happy. That is why they make so many different kinds. But if you are looking at the BMW K1200S and you are looking for some information from a fellow rider, all I can say is "Wahoo!!!, Wahoo!!"

It is awesome. But I like speed and performance and traveling light. BMWs tend to be a little pricey but they do have a good resale. Do some investigation on your own talking to BMW people, not people who don't own BMWs so you can get a clear understanding.

Take care and ride safe.

Bike
'09 ST1300
1 out of 100,000 ? I've read and heard people are talking of 4-5% failure rate. So out of 100,000 it would be 5000 with bad fd or input shaft. I for one had an 04 rt, fine bike and must say better looking than my 06 st, but hearing about those failures made me weary. After all I don't want to look at the bike parked, I want to ride knowing it'll bring me back home. To replace input shaft is not an easy task and for a dealer to do it is around $2500 +/- $500. I just do not have that kind of money laying around for that, not that it would happen, but just in case. Also some recommend lubing that shaft every 30k-40k miles. Again, $$$. ST on the other hand, reputation is second to none, seems that everything japaneese is. Gearbox on a st is so much smoother, on a beemer I had few issues going from say 4th and down. ST, never heard of fd or input shaft go bed, maybe some heat issues, if that's all they rave about, I'll take it. As far as heat, you don't think rt gets hot, think again. I got stock in bumper to bumper traffic on a 85 deg. day and believe me I was cooking. Basically waht is coming down to, you will spend initially more $$$ buying BMW and mainetance as well. One thing I have to say, RT being a little lighter felt like it handled better, not by much but it did.

STOC #
Two weeks ago today I happened across a stranded rider whose BMW1200S (I think) had a broken fuel line fitting (looked something like a check-valve), causing it to dump pressurized gasoline out the side of the bike and into the weeds along the road. My offer to tow him back to town (an hour away) with my ST couldn't happen, as the BMW needs a running engine for the brakes to work. So we hid the bike alongside the road as best we could, and I gave him a ride back to where we met his girlfriend driving back with more gasoline. He planned to borrow a friend's/neighbor's pickup truck to rescue the bike. Bad things can happen to any motorcycle, but I agree with the comment that BMW's quality has gone downhill from where it was 25 years ago.

Top Bottom