BMW talks new tourer...

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Just read my January 2009 Motor Cyclist. Page 17 has "5 Question with...Hendrik Von Kuenheim, BMW Motorrad General Director.

Question #5

Q:Plans for the touring lineup?
A:The sport-touring segment is shrinking; it's not a priority. Touring is successful enough, but it's still a small niche. Touring will be the next important platform update for us, though, after the superbike rollout. You will see something from us in one to one-and-a-half years - a huge touring bike with many cylinders, huge torque and a low seat. That's all I'll say now.

This makes me envision something that looks like a cross between a Valkyrie, a Rocket III and a R1200GS.

Interesting.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Just what we need another huge luxury barge for the old folks :rolleyes: ....if they make it big and heavy like it sounds then they had better put training wheels on it so the geriatrics won't tip it over :D

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
You will see something from us in one to one-and-a-half years - a huge touring bike with many cylinders, huge torque and a low seat. That's all I'll say now.
and a $25000 price tag.

And that all I am gonna say about that.....:popcorn

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I'm not as excited over the announcement of the new tourer as I am depressed over the announcement that BMW announces the sport-touring segment is shrinking.

Ah well, sport touring isn't so much about what the industry is making as the people doing the riding.:07biker:

Just what we need another huge luxury barge for the old folks :rolleyes: ....if they make it big and heavy like it sounds then they had better put training wheels on it so the geriatrics won't tip it over :D
Notice, he did not mention how many wheels it would have.:D

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
I was just at the local BMW dealer, to see if I won myself a new 800GS, no dice. So I looked around, every thing is way over priced, F800GS is $ 13,000+ the nice looking 1200GT sport tourer $21,000+ plus aftermarket parts and service is off the chart, too rich for me.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I was just at the local BMW dealer, to see if I won myself a new 800GS, no dice. So I looked around, every thing is way over priced, F800GS is $ 13,000+ the nice looking 1200GT sport tourer $21,000+ plus aftermarket parts and service is off the chart, too rich for me.
but you get the club patch :crackup...ok..ok....I'll stop bashin' and be :cool:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Can't remember where I read it but I saw a blurb about a 6-cylinder in-line tourer in the works at BMW. They are building on their legacy with high performance L6s in their cages. Supposedly it will be longitudinally oriented as well. Can't help but think that's going to be one loooooonnnng motorcycle if the rumors are true

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
There was something semi-under wraps when I toured the new training center in Woodcliff Lake, NJ...I wanted to peek, but the guys I was with scurried past the bikes to look at the cars....the McLarens were cool though....

That is exactly what is going to happen. The last time I did a search on used Goldwings, HALF of them were Trikes! When did this start? Back in the 80s and 90s when I was riding Goldwings, you never saw a Goldwing Trike. Now you see $30K Goldwing Trikes all the time. I'm sorry, but if I can't handle a two-wheeled motorcycle, then I am just going to get me a nice convertible, like a Corvette. Cost about the same, and it will probably get better mileage on the highway.

Just my .02

Texas

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
There have been many rumours about the update of the K1200LT as it did not get updated with the new 1200 motor. Now the new 1300 motor is out starting with other models. I am sure that means that BMW can't quite figure out what to do to try to compete with the Gold Wing. For me I will watch out of curiosity but there is no way I will ever buy another BMW as there is no dealer in the state and this is the 4th time in 30 years that that has been the case. :03biker:

Bike
Silver ST
Can't remember where I read it but I saw a blurb about a 6-cylinder in-line tourer in the works at BMW. They are building on their legacy with high performance L6s in their cages. Supposedly it will be longitudinally oriented as well. Can't help but think that's going to be one loooooonnnng motorcycle if the rumors are true
Maybe it'll have twin turbos on it-- like the cars. If they add a couple more wheels, they can call it the 1/2 series.
hondast1300

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
They have been working on a new K1200LT model for a while. I think BMW is in a tough situation with the LT. The diehards prefer the LT because it has fewer cylinders, gets better fuel mileage/range than the wing and outhandles the wing. However, some have left the LT becasue of the low seat, easy low speed handling and smooth pwerfull motor of the wing. Tough call. I have had 2 K1200LT's and I would prefer to see them do a more modern refinement of the current bike. Have it drop a hundred pounds, stuff the K1200GT motor in it, and give it some more modern sporty looks. Any way you look at it, someone is going to get not be happy with the new bike.

It could be funny to see what happens. If rumors that the St1300 and Goldiwng become one model come true, it could upset some wing owners. And if BMW comes out with a serious wing twin/comptetitor, there could be some people switching.

STOC #
Have it drop a hundred pounds, stuff the K1200GT motor in it, and give it some more modern sporty looks.
Don't know about a significant weight reduction of a hundred or so pounds (Is that possible in a bike that size), but I really think that the new K bike 4 cylinder will be the power plant for that bike... the current four has 116 HP and the GT has 154 I believe... so, it is a no brainer.

I have ridden the K1200LT several times and it is indeed a sweet bike.

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
:The sport-touring segment is shrinking; it's not a priority.
I have been on a sport-touring bike for the last 10 years and I see a lot more on the road now. Humm..... I guess we need bigger bikes :rolleyes: I think they (BMW) are on the wrong track if they ditch the RT and Super-Size the LT.

OP
OP
ocho nueve

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have been on a sport-touring bike for the last 10 years and I see a lot more on the road now. Humm..... I guess we need bigger bikes :rolleyes: I think they (BMW) are on the wrong track if they ditch the RT and Super-Size the LT.
Great minds must think alike! :D I have been noticing the same thing as you.

Top Bottom