BMW talks new tourer...

STOC #
Iif they ditch the RT

That, my friend, will never happen... the RT is BMW's second best selling bike world wide and the best selling bike for them in the U.S. That would be like Honda getting rid of the Accord or Toyota axing the Camry... it sells too well. What may happen though is the boxer power plant morphing into a liquid cooled configuration down the road.

What BMW needs to examine is there a market for a luxury tourer here in the U.S., the LT's primary market? I think so as Honda moves a lot of Gold Wings. The other brands are not going after this market at all (unless you count cruiser/dressers, which I don't), so it leaves just Big Red and Big White and Blue to compete.

I think the scuttlebutt is that the LT is due out as a new model in 2010. We shall see.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I have been on a sport-touring bike for the last 10 years and I see a lot more on the road now. Humm..... I guess we need bigger bikes :rolleyes: I think they (BMW) are on the wrong track if they ditch the RT and Super-Size the LT.

I think perhaps for BMW their market share of the S.T. segment is shrinking due to competition from Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and even Moto Guzzi. This is a segment that BMW pretty much had entirely to themselves until the first Concours arrived. But I agree with the above, I sure do seem to see a lot more S.T. type bikes on the road now than in years past. I've got think if California isn't representative, it's certainly significant.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
Don't know about a significant weight reduction of a hundred or so pounds (Is that possible in a bike that size), but I really think that the new K bike 4 cylinder will be the power plant for that bike... the current four has 116 HP and the GT has 154 I believe... so, it is a no brainer.

I have ridden the K1200LT several times and it is indeed a sweet bike.
Well, that was just my rambling of what I think they should do. In reality, if you look at what was said, it will be more cyliders. The rumor has been that it will be a six cylinder. I also hear word from a reliable source that the new LT will be a six cylinder with a boat load of power. I am not sure thats really what it needs but hey, I bought an RT with only 2 cylinders. I just hope that BMW doesnt go as conservative as they normally are. The wing has such sporty looks on the outside, it wouldnt be a half bad bike if they put a proper suspension on it and had an dash layout designed by a 2 year old. Unfortunatley the wing has always had a, "not finished" looke to it for me.

OP
OP
ocho nueve

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
What I got from BMW's statement, was a six-cylinder bike. I see a lot of RT's up here in Washington, but not a lot of LT's. I like the LT, until you look at it from the rear. Then it looks like the backend of a Euorpean bus.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I don't understand the motorcycle industry from their standpoint? I mean what the builders need to be looking at is satisfying a wider audience. One thing I hear over and over is the saddle is too high and that eliminates alot of buyers. I am 6'1" and I hav sat on numerous BMW GS's and it's a high bike anyway you look at it. Why don't the factories just build a couple models with fixed or adjustable height? The only bike out there I can think of that fits about anyone is an HD. Their saddle heights average about 25-26" I believe and will fit most anyone. Another issue that eats up height is seat width, a wider seat is going to provide less leg to ground. FWIW.

STOC #
I don't understand the motorcycle industry from their standpoint? I mean what the builders need to be looking at is satisfying a wider audience. One thing I hear over and over is the saddle is too high and that eliminates alot of buyers. I am 6'1" and I hav sat on numerous BMW GS's and it's a high bike anyway you look at it. Why don't the factories just build a couple models with fixed or adjustable height? The only bike out there I can think of that fits about anyone is an HD. Their saddle heights average about 25-26" I believe and will fit most anyone. Another issue that eats up height is seat width, a wider seat is going to provide less leg to ground. FWIW.
That is why on a lot of BMW models now they have the low suspension option... you have to order it that way... shocks are different and other hard bits are set up differently. No cost option.

Personally, I prefer a tall bike, it gives me room to stretch out on the bike for my knees... that is why I prefer the riding position of the RT over the ST... I have about another 1-2 inches of room to bend the leg... BTW, I am 6'3".

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
BMW market may be shrinking because of their final drive problems ?:06biker::06biker::06biker:
I forget where I read it, but 2008 BMW sales were up around 1% from 2007. While their U.S. sales have consistently declined since 2003 {numbers from BMWMOA, so I'm trusting their accuracy}, they may not slide any further. Compared to most other m/c manufacturers, their 2008 was great.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
Personally, one of the ingredients that makes a BMW superior is having a high seat height due to alot of ground clearance, then combine it with a relaly low center of gravity. This gives excellent lean angle capability along with easy manueverability. This is sort of the recipe to BMW's success IMO. My St would grind pegs just taking turns in neoghborhood but I have yet to kiss the ground with my RT. The cornering clearance is night and day. So what you give in seat height you take away in handling capability.

BMW offers a low seat option like mine that puts the seat neat the ST levels and then as Chris Parker mentioned they now have a low suspension/low frame option. This gets pretty darn low IMO.

OP
OP
ocho nueve

ocho nueve

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I forget where I read it, but 2008 BMW sales were up around 1% from 2007. While their U.S. sales have consistently declined since 2003 {numbers from BMWMOA, so I'm trusting their accuracy}, they may not slide any further. Compared to most other m/c manufacturers, their 2008 was great.
That may be a more of a sign of people buying bikes and fuel efficient cars due to the economy more than the popularity of the BMW brand.

Whatever the reason, I'm a big fan of any motorcycle company reporting a growth in sales.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
That may be a more of a sign of people buying bikes and fuel efficient cars due to the economy more than the popularity of the BMW brand.

Whatever the reason, I'm a big fan of any motorcycle company reporting a growth in sales.
I think Victory, KTM, and possibly Yamaha are also up. Like you, ocho, I'd like to see any and all moto companies do well.

Dang, now I must recheck my print sources. As I recall, U.S. sales of the RT, LT and GT were down slightly, but BMW has been moving more of its newer models out the door to take up the slack. Makes me wish Honda would come up with something new other than the DN-01, which will tank, or the Fury, which will likely sell a bunch but not to our kinds of riders.

OP
OP
ocho nueve

ocho nueve

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I think Victory, KTM, and possibly Yamaha are also up. Like you, ocho, I'd like to see any and all moto companies do well.

Dang, now I must recheck my print sources. As I recall, U.S. sales of the RT, LT and GT were down slightly, but BMW has been moving more of its newer models out the door to take up the slack. Makes me wish Honda would come up with something new other than the DN-01, which will tank, or the Fury, which will likely sell a bunch but not to our kinds of riders.
I agree. Most people with 15 grand to spend on a motorcycle aren't likely to spend it on the DN-01.

Top Bottom