bmw

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
There are a few on this board that have BMW bikes.... However, I think you'll find that the majority are pro-ST1300... Just the nature of things on an ST-OWNERS forum...

But I'll let you know how I feel about the differences:
  • Honda is cheaper than BMW
  • I can work on it myself
  • Parts are cheaper
  • The nearest Honda dealer is 15 miles away... BMW is 90 miles
  • Hondas have 'issues'... BMW have major failures
Just my .02... YMMV... :D
:cool:

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
just wondered how you guys think the k1300gt compares to the st
Might have a bit of a problem finding the recommend octane...
Looks like a nice bike, but as to your question, it IS up to the
individual..

Putt...

OP
OP
tercol58
Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
I knew that would be the response just had to ask. I know when I do get anther bike it will be the ST for the same reasons you gave + all around great bike even though my longest road trip will never be much over 60 miles still want an ST very much

Krynn

Mana-mana, doo doo da-do-doo!
the K1300GT? I want one! Or would if I could afford it. I picked up a slightly used ST1300 last year, and including the cost of purchase, I can farkle it up to just about the same level as the beemer and have only spent about half as much.

Power is nice, but the ST1300 has plenty for me. I'd love a 6th gear though, and the K1300GT has that. The electronic suspension is kinda nifty, but I can make do without just fine. While the BMW does have an adjustable windshield, it's range is tiny compared to the Honda. The K1300GT has it's mirrors above the handlebars rather than below, which should provide a welcome relief from SUVs at night...

The biggest thing that the BMW tempts me with is it's weight and payload. It weighs about 100lbs less (I'm going off of memory here, correct me if I'm wrong), and it has a payload of about 100lbs more.

Still, all of that together is not worth $10,000 to me. Maybe if I were looking at new bikes, I might have a different opinion. Or maybe if I hadn't just watched my 401k imitate the Titanic, I'd consider it. But as things are right now, I'm very happy with my Honda.

The ST1300 might not be the best bike on the road, but as far as sport tourers go, I think it's the best value. :biker:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I'm not sure how you could compare the two yet since the K1300GT just came out. Think I might just wander over to the local BMW dealer to have a look. Don't plan on buying but they are good folks over at that dealership.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I took the GT for a test ride before I bought the ST. It is an incredible motorcycle. To sporty for my portly old body and to rich for my pocket. Besides, I need my drivers license. WOW it is cool to ride.

Tom

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I might be riding a K13S if they had come out before I bought my C14 :D Nah... I can just add electrical stuff without freaking out about that Canibus system... play it again, Jimmy... purple haze... :rofl1:

STOC #
If you can service the GT yourself and don't mind the extra $, the GT is a stellar sport tourer. But be prepared to pay for your maintenance items. A $22 oil filter ought to tell you something. On the positive side; people on the BMW LT site are reporting new GT's going for 16K. Go to a dealer and ride one. The new generation K bikes don't have the final drive failures that the K1200LT does.

STOC #
Can you say "$$$$$" ? But if thats' cool with you...

Wonder if they've <really> fixed the drive train/tranny problems (not just say they did)...
They never admitted a problem. So there is nothing to fix:D They did change the bearing design in the final drive for the affected models. But FD failures are still reported. The new K bikes have a different design that avoids the design weakness that the 800lb K12LT exposed.

Disclaimer: This editorial is meant to inform, not change anyone's views or critique someone's opinion.

Here's a pretty good write-up on the new GT from a riders perspective:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44597

Last edited:
It isn't just the K12LT that has final drive problems. R-bikes have them, too. One would hope that BMW's engineers actually fixed the design/manufacturing problems for the K13. If they continue with the Sgt. Schultz ("I see nothing!") approach, they may not be out of the woods yet.

Otherwise, it is an awesome machine (the styling doesn't do it for me, tho).
Too bad about the price.

p

The BMW line of motorcycles are some of the best on the market, particularly the GT and RT. They are beautifully built/engineered and very comfortable for a taller rider. However, as others have said, the maintenance and cost of overall ownership is much more expensive than most brands. I personally couldn't justify the overall ownership costs when I owned my RS and RT.

In fact, prior to buying my current ST, I was in the market for a 2005+ BMW RT or GT. I couldn't find a used one for under $12K. I decided on a last ditch effort to go to the Honda dealership and this is where I found the 2004 ST for only $6,200. My common sense gave in and I decided to buy the ST because of its value. Now that I've put some miles on the ST all I can say is that I'm satisfied with my decision.

I honestly think the ST is a very capable and comfortable machine given its price point.

Bike
Silver ST
The BMW line of motorcycles are some of the best on the market, particularly the GT and RT. They are beautifully built/engineered and very comfortable for a taller rider. However, as others have said, the maintenance and cost of overall ownership is much more expensive than most brands. I personally couldn't justify the overall ownership costs when I owned my RS and RT.

In fact, prior to buying my current ST, I was in the market for a 2005+ BMW RT or GT. I couldn't find a used one for under $12K. I decided on a last ditch effort to go to the Honda dealership and this is where I found the 2004 ST for only $6,200. My common sense gave in and I decided to buy the ST because of its value. Now that I've put some miles on the ST all I can say is that I'm satisfied with my decision.

I honestly think the ST is a very capable and comfortable machine given its price point.
Price point aside, aren't the threads on final drive failure relevant? I had a final drive fail in Nova Scotia. It's far better to be stuck with a thermostat than a blown drive.
robert

scootac

Will Ride for Food
And don't forget there's a boatload more Honda dealers around the country than there will ever be BMW dealers!
Might not be important if you live close to, or only travel in, large cities, but there are whole STATES that don't have a BMW dealer. If you live where there's a lot of $$$ floating around, fine, they will be there. If you live in the backwoods, learn how to work on it!
IMHO

Scootac

STOC #
I have owned three bikes that I had a ZEN feeling of oneness with. Two were BMW's; a 1987 K75 and a 1995 R1100 GS. The third was a 2003 Yamaha FZ1. I think motorcycles are like songs; they appeal to different people for different (sometimes unknown) reasons. Those three bikes had almost nothing in common. I think saddle time has everything to do with it. If I can spend 40 to 50 hours in the saddle on a three day weekend I naturally grow attached to the bike. If the bike is not comfortable enough to ride that long and allow me to stay focused then I just never warm up to it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I rode a K1300GT last week. No matter how powerful and smooth it is, it is an ugly motorcycle with a slab sided fairing that looks worse up close than in pictures. I guess I would get used to cornering hard on one but the initial feeling from the doulever front end is "disconnected". The wheelbase is long and the low speed steering is heavy. I would never consider one as I couldn't get past the looks and high overall cost of ownership. Your opinion may vary.

I had a friend that had one and had to have it cuz (a) it was a BMW and (b) it had more HP than other sport touring bikes and (c) it was listed in some magazine as Motorcycle of the year. Here is my comments:

(a) it was a BMW; if you have to have a BMW, then get one. I for one though, didn't think it was worth the extra bucks. Sure it has cruise control, but for $90 and a little of my time, so does my ST. The GT has the rear suspension that you can adjust on the fly. My Wing had that, but honestly, once I set it I never touched it, don't need an electronic suspension adjustment for me.

(b) Yes, the GT has more "HP" than the ST, but I have two comments; Do you really need all those ponies, are you gonna race some one, try to out run the police? Then go look at the dyno charts and you will see that the ST has more HP and Torque than the GT until near the red line. What this means is that the ST has more AVAILABLE HP at speeds (or RPM's) where you tend to drive. If you are always going to run the bike at 8,000 RPM's, then you go boy!

(c) to say that the GT was/is the best bike cuz it was ranked number one in a magazine, well, I've got swamp land that I can sell you. The magazines have said that to get the #1 rank is when a bike undergoes a major change. The ST1100 finally went to the ST1300 and no major changes have taken place since, don't expect them to be ranked #1 in the magazine any time soon. However, when it comes to doing a side by side analysis, the ST did out rank the GT.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
You know... get the bike that turns you on. ;)

If you can't get that BMW right now, I hope you can in the future. I know I will one day. :)

If a BMW (or insert any other brand here) doesn't do it for you, great. That's why there are so many different makes and models. :cool: I'm not going to rain on someone's choice just because I can't use the whatever, or it doesn't have this or that, or it hasn't had to make any changes, or it costs $$$ more, or I can't work on it... or the zillion other reasons given.

The main reason someone buys a bike... it stirs that persons soul :cool: All other factors come after that :cool:

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
I have ridden a couple of the K1200 GT?s but have not got to try out the new K1300 yet. Its all about $$$ for me. If I could afford a new GT, that?s what I would be riding. But alas I am a poor motorcyclist and must make do :) I like the ST very much but if I had the money I would love to have a new K1300 GT.

Top Bottom