BMW??

I have an 06 ST and for the most part, I love it.
It is lacking a couple of things, better seat and
cruise control. I went today and looked at BMW'S.
I must have missed something, I was thinking a BMW was
a small step up. After a couple of hours at the dealership
I was not impressed with the bikes(dealer was very nice and helpfull). The BMW seemed like a nice bike and I liked some of the whistles and bells. I don't think they are the bike mine is
and more money, what did I miss??

I have an 06 ST and for the most part, I love it.
It is lacking a couple of things, better seat and
cruise control. I went today and looked at BMW'S.
I must have missed something, I was thinking a BMW was
a small step up. After a couple of hours at the dealership
I was not impressed with the bikes(dealer was very nice and helpfull). The BMW seemed like a nice bike and I liked some of the whistles and bells. I don't think they are the bike mine is
and more money, what did I miss??
I was also at a BMW dealer today, ST going by by for a n R1200RT (blue)
Here's a few things you missed, cruise, heated grips, heated seats, ESA, wet weight of 571lbs GVWR of 1091lbs (that's 520lbs of people and cargo it can safely carry), looks great without the bags, easy access for service, no thermastat or associated items, etc, etc.

Better seat: Do the Spencer Mod, and if you want a heated seat, you can get the pad from riderwarehouse for $87.00 (does not include shipping):

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Bun-Warmer-p-19520.html

You want heated grips, also from riderwarehouse, for $27.00, you need to remove your old grips and put on new ones if you tear up the old ones.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Heated-Grip-Kit-p-16539.html

You want a cruise control, get one here for $90.00 (check around and you might find one that someone didn't want to install themselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-CCS100-Universal-Vacuum-Control/dp/B00029WQTW

Add them all up and your out $204.00 plus the Spencer Mod, what does it cost, $50.00 plus shipping, something like that, don't quote me.

So the question is, does the BMW cost more than the ST by more than $250.00, plus your time in labor to install the stuff which isn't difficult. Then it depends on what your looking at, the GT, RT, GS? GT's and RT's have been known to have jerky throttle play, some complain, some don't.

I LOVE the looks of the GS bikes, but am scared of their final drive issues. If I were to get one, it would be the 800GS that has a chain drive. Then I'd be worried about the Canbus, I like a bike that isn't computer controlled that I can't fix.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I don't think you missed anything.

Remember you can get the CAT O-Ring cruise control for $1.50 ... or less, if you ask real nice.

I spent the spring/summer of 07 looking to replace my fz1, I almost convinced myself that I would by a bmw. They had everything you could ask for, heated seats/grips, radio, communications, ect.. The staff was excellent, and bmw allows test rides. First test was on the 1200lt. You thought the st was top heavy? I almost dumped it in a driveway backing down that had a very small incline, dry clutch, stalled it a few times cause the rpm's need to be higher taking off, and the problems that come w/them....not for me.
Thought maybe the 1200rt would be perfect, so went back over a few months later and took a ride on that....same thing, but not so top heavy, dry clutch, and that torque of the motor felt like it was going to fold in half when I down shifted. The scariest hwy ride I ever had on a mc. I was all over the place, and got off I81 as soon as I could and rode right back to the dealer.
While some people love them, I tried, and did not. If they were by far the most reliable per cost of ownership, I may have one right now, but they are way overpriced for the problems that they have.
Thats how I ended up with a new 06 St1300. Would be nice to have that single side swayarm...like changing a car tire.

09 Honda STwith accessory socket, abs, and heated grips $17,516.85
09 BMW RT with the same plus cruise $17,755

I think Bama Rider wrote a nice article comparing the ST and RT. There are some things that the BMW does better then the ST and vice-verso. I took a BMW for a test ride before purchasing my ST. They are similar bikes but yet so different in feel and handling. If you like the looks of a BMW and have the extra money for initial purchase and subsequent maintenance, then buy the beemer.

OP
OP
Kyote
I think I am sticking with my ST. I have heated grips and done the Spencer mod with Air Hawk cushion. That system works good up until about 200 or so miles then the butt starts to squirm a bit, I guess I am looking for to much in the seat department. I did notice all the above differences while at the dealer. I also notice the dry clutch system. When I raised the windshield all the way up it came to just below eye level. My ST raises above my head. I ride mostly in cooler weather so I want plenty of protection while on the big road. I also did not like the way the whole bike shook while at idle through about 2,200 rpm's. It did not shake bad but noticeable compared to my ST.
The weight issue with the ST has not been an issue to me so far. I have put about 16,000 miles on mine so far, I don't think it will be a problem in the future. My local Honda dealer advertises about every other Sunday 07 ST's for under $12,000 the BMW 1200 RT was a fuz under $18,000. The RT was an 08 but they are both new, that plus the dealer support you might recieve while on tour, I am sticking with the ST. I do intend to install cruise though.
No way am I saying the BMW is a bad bike it seems to be a very nice bike would love to own one, just not bad enough to replace my Steed.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
09 Honda STwith accessory socket, abs, and heated grips $17,516.85
09 BMW RT with the same plus cruise $17,755
I don't think I know anyone who has ever actually paid MSRP for an ST. I don't know how much the BMW dealers will deal on their bikes though, because I've never bought one. I do know lots of guys that have bought new ABS ST's (not '09's) for much less than $17k.

Lookie here, if you hurry, you can get an 09 with ABS for $15,299.00 (scroll down a few bikes)

http://www.schroaders.com/cgi-bin/html_web_store.cgi?page=newsporttouring/catalog.html&cart_id=
How about apples to apples, I gave you MSRP for 09's not left over 07's
Trust me, I'm trading my 07 and nobody hoped more then me that ST's didn't sit in showrooms. BMW also offers rebates and low financing.

Did scroll down further and saw the 09 but even then not the same.

Last edited:
I own a ST1300 so you don't have to sell me on it. I like the bike very much but the RT serves me better for numerous reasons. I don't want to argue which is the better bike or value,it would be a loosing battle, the one that makes you/me smile wins.

If you read the zoomzoomzoom comparison as far as passenger comfort, I always ride with my wife, and price you will understand where I'm coming from.

Bike
2005 ST13
At least BMW is trying, though their euro-unionized labor force can't kompete against the Japanese industrial complex. Their castings are beautiful. Their CAN-BUS electronics and fuel injection are neurotic.

While Honduh refuses to do anything more than change color.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
All that matters is that the bike you get works for you, hope the Beemer serves you well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its the $300 oil changes that scare me !!!!
I understand ones concern with maintenance on BMW's and if I had to pay it I would reconsider but since I was old enough to drive I have never taken a vehicle I owned in for service other then state inspections and now emission
tests.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Pete, congrats on the new ride. I hope you enjoy it. If I had the cash I'd have one of each.

Did you look at the used market at all? The only reason I ask is that Michelle's (Chel_in_IL) brother just picked up an used RT a few months back, with very low miles for an absolute great price off of eBay.

Pete, congrats on the new ride. I hope you enjoy it. If I had the cash I'd have one of each.

Did you look at the used market at all? The only reason I ask is that Michelle's (Chel_in_IL) brother just picked up an used RT a few months back, with very low miles for an absolute great price off of eBay.
Thanks,

I would have to sell my bike and I hate dealing with that. I reciently sold a PC800 and when they came to pick it up they said this was all the money they had, 600 less then I wanted and I gave in (the price was low to begin with)

Unless it was a local sale on e-bay I stay away.
Bought a XT350 a few years back but the owner decided the title wasn't important, after I drove to Maryland to pick it up.

2nd was a Kawasaki and the seller sent me a phone number of the real owner.

Their both on my "list"

Top Bottom