Boots boots? what do you wear??

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Red Wing..water proof ..and comfort looks.well its a boot..
+1. Actually, mine are Irish Setter, a brand of Red Wing. Easy pull on/off, very waterproof and very comfortable. About $175.

Sidi All Roads for traveling. Chippewa Rally boots for local spins around the block.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Blundstone
Blundstone
Oh yeah, a couple of pair of Blundstone in the cupboard in the garage too! Not sure if Blundstone in the US is the same as Blundstone in AUS, regardless they are good quality and reasonably priced boots here in AUS.

I don't wear the steel capped boots for riding, there were stories of rider's toes being sliced off by the steel cap collapsing after being run over by a truck. Dunno if the stories were true, but they were scary enough.

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
STylmartin Delta RS. Mine are 4 years old and still waterproof as tested in NewSTOC last June. I rock Sidi Adventure 2's on the Versys-X 300. I've had to move the shifter as the Adv2's are taller in profile. On safety side the Sidi's are much more protective, think ski boots you can walk in. The Stylmartin have much better rider feedback otherwise I would have switched to the Sidi's for both sport touring and dual sport.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Aerostich Combat Lite.
These are made by SIDI to 'stich's specs.
The uppers are bullet proof and dry and the soles can be replaced with SIDI sourced choices.
I will never need a replacement boot as far as I can tell.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I don't wear the steel capped boots for riding, there were stories of rider's toes being sliced off by the steel cap collapsing after being run over by a truck. Dunno if the stories were true, but they were scary enough.
What do you think would of happened to the toes if not for the steel? Squished to about a crepe thick size? Would they have been a miracle revival?

I'm sure there are a few possible situations where steel toe is not good, but I bet they are a lot less frequently encountered as to the times they help.

Save yourself from a 1 in 1000 or protect yourself in a 1 in 20?

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
What do you think would of happened to the toes if not for the steel? Squished to about a crepe thick size? Would they have been a miracle revival?
The way it was explained to me is that is some elasticity on the foot, bones and all, and depending on the size / mass of the vehicle running over you foot there was a chance of the foot being repaired. But with the steel cap collapsing like a guillotine, the toes stood (pardon the pun) little chance of survival.

Sounds plausible to me.

I'm sure there are a few possible situations where steel toe is not good, but I bet they are a lot less frequently encountered as to the times they help.

I'm not an odds man, went to Vegas last year, didn't bet a dime.

Reactions: T_C
Bike
VStrom 650
Can we please stop talking about unintended loss of toes?
I'm trying to eat my cheese and beetroot sandwich!
Ta very much,
Upt'North.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Can we please stop talking about unintended loss of toes?
I'm trying to eat my cheese and beetroot sandwich!
Ta very much,
Upt'North.
So many choices.....
This little piggy went to market,

This little piggy stayed home,

This little piggy had roast beef,

This little piggy had none.

This little piggy went ...

Wee, wee, wee,
all the way home

Cheese and beetroot? You blokes across the pond have an interesting cuisine

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Waterproof ??? It keeps water out and it keeps it in.......

In the hot dry valley air here I wear a pair of china Sketchers MESH shoes.
like your mesh jacket it lets the air flow through your toes keeping them dry and comfortable.
Waterproof boots you would have to wring out your socks after a long ride and the smell and the fungi.......
even my hiking boots are mesh.
Different climates different gear.....

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

I actually had a personal first hand experience that showed me just what would happen WITH steel toe shoes. Military boots with steel toes. On deployment to Yuma, AZ many many years ago (1977). Was a Navy plane captain (on the aviation flight line receiving A7 jets coming back from a sorte). I was taking my turn checking for hot brakes on the jets before they could pull in to park and one pilot was goofing off in the cockpit when he should have been paying attention. When checking hot brakes you don't ever approach from the side of the wheels but from the front, then reach your hand out on either side to feel for heat on the back of your hand. Not too close cuz if it's hot you'll singe your hands. If no significant heat you send the jet onto the paddock to park. When checking for heat I always, as taught, placed my foot just in front of the tire. This jerk pilot had been playing around while flying doing lots of flips and rolls so his flight book drifted up and back behind his seat. While I had my foot just in front of the tire he was twisting around an reaching behind him... taking his feet off the brakes allowing the jet to roll up against the steel toe of my boot, even though the jet was just idling! (no power down allowed during this task). Good thing I was wearing low top boots. Had to use a screw driver from my tool belt as a shoe horn to force the back of the boot down to get my foot out. And even then it took a lot of effort. I then dropped the ladder and climbed up to the canopy to get the pilot's attention and he turned white as a sheet when I pointed to my bootless foot. Then I climbed down and directed his jet forward (um, they just don't go backward without assistance) over my boot and sent him on. I collected my boot and found that the outer corners of the steel toe had cut through the leather and squished down enough that there would have been no room for my toes to remain attached, and it was also distorted to one side somewhat. Now, I know that the A7 jet is way heavier than anything I'm likely to find my foot under on the road. But in an accident a lot of forces are way more than most people think. So, no thank you. I'm not wearing steel toed boots while riding if I have other options. Plastic toe cups flex and may injure but not cut off my toes. BTDT almost. I did end up with the plastic toe cup broke in half saving my toes in a low side crash in 2010.

Anyway. On track with the OP...
I still like my AlpineStars Ridge boots but found that a defect in my foot (my little toe sometimes lifts up inside the boot) wears away the inner lining and rain barrier causing a leak. The Ridge boot has a very soft inner lining. The TM Solution boots have a more durable inner lining and those leaked due to age. Thinking already of upgrading to Gore-Tex in the near future.

STOC #
For most travel and rain I use the Sidi Sport Te-por boot.
For when it's really warm I replaced my Sidi Scorpion Air boots (11 years) with Fly M21.
As far as boots being hot and moist at the end of the day, I use the Drysure non-electric boot dryers. They pack nice and last a week.

Bike
2002 ST1100
Magnum Panther 8.0 Side Zip police boot.
Because I live in the south where it is hot and humid most of the year, these work well for me with lots of ventilation. Good traction when I put my foot down on dirt, gravel or oil. Easy to put on and take off. Fits well under my regular pants and/or riding pants. Not waterproof, but I don't mind rain when the other choice is sweat.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have a pair of Harley Davidson boots, have had them two years, the zipper tongue is gone, the sole is coming loose in the arch,and its time to buy new boots ,trying to find something i can ride in and walk in to.
I was out looking today and it hit me ,Lace or Zipper, slip on or a combo,
On line or Store
Help me out ,I ride a Honda,not a Harley..:bow1:
Alpinestars ROAM waterproof boot, velcro closure, synthetic leather with a waterproof and breathable membrane, insanely comfortable for riding, walking, getting drunk in.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
I gave up on trying to find a "motorcycle" boot in a 3E width.
R. W. Williams make some quality, multiple width boots here in Australia. I have a wide foot, often need to go up a size or two to get the correct width. My RMW's are an 8H ( "H" - think that's a 4E to many of you guys).

I don't wear 'em on the motorcycle, they were too expensive to have them scuffed by the gear shift, or worse if I had an "off".
RMW 1.JPG

RMW 2.JPG

For those that have not lost interest, here's a link to the webpage:https://www.rmwilliams.com.au/men/footwear/biker-boots?lang=en_AU

Err, I don't have either of the above, I purchased a budget pair, even so they they are mostest, comfortablest pair of boot I've ever worn.

Re. prices, don't forget the current exchange rate is AU$1 = US$0.71, come on you guys, grab a bargain.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just received a pair of Alpinestars Air Plus v2.0 Gore-Tex XCR boots a few days before Christmas. Temp the next day of riding was 25F so tried them just to see how they would feel in cooler temps. My current ride has phenomenal leg and foot protection so wasn't expecting too much cool for an "air" style boot with lots of mesh. My Alpinestars Ridge boots would keep my feet very warm in winter riding temps. These A* XCR boots have a lot of mesh and/or perforated leather and I can definitely feel air flow through the boots. I think on a ST or my CTX my feet would be very cool to cold in below freezing temps since there is more wind on the feet but on my Burgman I was fine. While not as warm as my Ridge boots, these XCR boots were still comfortable in the mid 20s F (the socks have a lot to do with that). Don't think I'll be wearing them for colder however. My A* Ridge boots still have a lot of life left but just not waterproof any more... at least the right boot isn't. I really don't expect much rain in winter riding when temps are below 20F so will wear those at those temps. But these new XCR boots are really comfy. Haven't had opportunity to test any rain resistance since it's winter in the upper Midwest so will wait for Spring to happen to test that. Don't expect any issues since they are Gore-Tex and my other military Gore-Tex stuff has been proven in wet weather.

Also, I was OK with how warm my feet became in the Ridge boots in hot weather, but it will be nice to feel a bit more comfortable in these "air" style boots.

Sidi All Roads new road boot. Chippewa Engineer Boots. Chippewa Rally boots for local fair weather riding.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
These A* XCR boots have a lot of mesh and/or perforated leather and I can definitely feel air flow through the boots.

Haven't had opportunity to test any rain resistance since it's winter in the upper Midwest so will wait for Spring to happen to test that.
I'm a little confused as to how a boot that has mesh/perforation can have any water resistance of any significance.

Top Bottom