Border opening?

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
Hopefully, if and when it opens, there will be no requirement for a PCR test. At around $200 a pop and two would be needed if the stay is over 72 hours that makes a quick run down the coast somewhat expensive!
My vintage racing buds were down in California a few weeks back and said there was a marked difference with mask wearing / covid precautions between Oregon / Washington compared to California. They were in Willow Springs and left early and headed back North.
Andy

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Hopefully, if and when it opens, there will be no requirement for a PCR test. At around $200 a pop and two would be needed if the stay is over 72 hours that makes a quick run down the coast somewhat expensive!
My vintage racing buds were down in California a few weeks back and said there was a marked difference with mask wearing / covid precautions between Oregon / Washington compared to California. They were in Willow Springs and left early and headed back North.
Andy
Seems the article may have been updated..... no PCR test required to go into the US, however, AFAIK you need one to get back to Canada..... hang in, that hopefully will be lifted?? Fingers crossed. I'd like to go for a day trip or two.

STOC #
Seems the article may have been updated..... no PCR test required to go into the US, however, AFAIK you need one to get back to Canada..... hang in, that hopefully will be lifted?? Fingers crossed. I'd like to go for a day trip or two.
We also need to hear about whether the US will allow mixed dose vaccinations! My wife and I both fall into that hole with a Pfizer / Moderna blend. I need to go skiing in NY and my wife wants a road trip to somewhere warmer over the winter.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
My wife and I both fall into that hole with a Pfizer / Moderna blend.
You might check into this. Here in AB, if you intend to travel and have a mixed vaccine, you can get a booster that will put you back onside. There are no age, or other, restrictions. As far as I know, you don't even have to provide proof of travel. At least that is what 2 friends encountered when they got theirs.

STOC #
You might check into this. Here in AB, if you intend to travel and have a mixed vaccine, you can get a booster that will put you back onside. There are no age, or other, restrictions. As far as I know, you don't even have to provide proof of travel. At least that is what 2 friends encountered when they got theirs.
That's what we are hoping Ontario will do to eliminate the problem.

We tried to get a second matching dose and actually booked for one, but were refused when we arrived. At the time they were giving Pfizer to 12 to 18 year olds and Moderna to everyone else. We did as recommended and took the first one available to us. Had we waited a few more weeks we could have received a Pfizer dose, but that might have created too long a span between doses.

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA
Apologies for deleting a thread with some useful comments but sometimes I get frustrated when some comments cross the line and I have to weed through them and use my timefoget things on track.

We can continue the discussion now but my next steps will be deleting inappropriate comments followed by banning a member from this thread.
Thought Hotel California was just a song? Sadly it has come to pass.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The American government has announced that effective November 8th, fully vaccinated travelers will be able to enter the USA from other countries, including Canada.

I don't think the details about accepting mixed doses (e.g. one Moderna, one something-else) have been sorted out yet, but my guess is that as long as each of the doses are of a vaccine that is approved in the USA, mixed doses will likely be accepted. This is because there is a fairly large body of scholarly evidence that shows that mixed doses are as effective, or more effective, than two doses of the lowest-rated vaccine of the two received.

FYI, today the Province of Ontario released the QR-code vaccine record for Ontario residents to download - that will probably be the document accepted by US Immigration authorities.

Having said all that, some caution will still be needed by Canadians travelling south... as of October 2 (most recent statistics available), 81% of eligible (over 12 years old) Canadians have been fully vaccinated, whereas in the USA the vaccination rate is substantially lower.

Michael

Last edited:

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA
I hope it works out for all.
Is this the best that Gov't can do?
Very dissapointed in the last 18 months.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Also wonder how they will handle the folks with the AZ/RNA combo; will it qualify as double vax or not?
Just saw on our evening news that the US will accept mixed vaccinations. Now it did not stipulate that it was all mixes or only those of approved vaccines, of which AZ is not. Probably clarification later tonight or tomorrow.
Update - any vaccine recognized by WHO will be accepted so I think Canadians are good to go.

Last edited:
STOC #
Just saw on our evening news that the US will accept mixed vaccinations. Now it did not stipulate that it was all mixes or only those of approved vaccines, of which AZ is not. Probably clarification later tonight or tomorrow.
Update - any vaccine recognized by WHO will be accepted so I think Canadians are good to go.
Great news! One less hurdle removed and one step closer to being able to ski in NY and VT this season.

Now if Canada would just follow the American lead and get rid of the testing requirements to return to Canada we'll be back to almost normal. I don't mind having to use the ArriveCan app and filling out our vaccination information, but having to get a Covid test to come home when I've been away for less than 72 hours is a complete waste of time and money. I did read that a test could be done here, before I go there, but at $150pp that puts too much of an added cost on a short trip.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
.............Now if Canada would just follow the American lead and get rid of the testing requirements to return to Canada we'll be back to almost normal..............
I think it's coming, it may be a few weeks before everyone gets their ducks in a row and gets aligned. I'm anxious to see cruise companies acknowledge mixed vaccine acceptability to we can start to make plans for our next sailing.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
All non-essential visitors will require full vaccination starting Nov. 8. Essential visitors will not need to be vaccinated now, but come Jan 2022, they will be.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I hope to travel to Ohio,,, soon after the initial rush subsides,, on the 49th parallel. Reason being,,, is that winter is looming,, and I have a pile of repair parts (for poor Blue STar) waiting for me there. Being double vax'd for some time,, and soon to be boosted,,, I don't see any problems traveling to the States via land bridge. Coming home should be routine as well,,, except Canada will require a valid pcr covid test (taken within 72 hours of return crossing). These are expensive here at home,, currently just under $200.cdn. Does anyone know what a poor Canuck would be charged,,, and what is the availability,,, and turn time,,, in Ohio ?? Likely available at a drive thru clinic,, or a CVS style pharmacy. Is testing as widespread and affordable as was originally suggested that it needed to be ?? The testing process never really got up to speed here,, and now seems very commercialized. Cheers,, CAt'

Top Bottom