Brake Away throttle lock

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I think the soft grips I had caused a problem in that the ring couldn't compress enough with the small set screws provided. Also, I had to use two rings, one to hold the other one in. It kept popping out. The work around worked fine, but they should comment on the grip requirement. It wouldn't fit properly so the brake release could adjust properly. It was bound up by the brake reservoir. It might actually work now with the after market MC and flat, fairly hard grips I have on there, but I'm not going to bother with it again.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The difference with the Go Cruise is it’s not a throttle lock in the traditional sense. It sets a minimum speed the bike will not go below so it does away with half the micro adjustments a regular friction lock requires. Just roll on a little throttle if needed to pass a car or climb a grade then release the throttle to settle back to the chosen speed. Nothing beats a set it and forget it cruise control but on my bikes without CC a Go Cruise is a step above a friction lock.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Brake Away strikes me as a lot of money for presentation. If I bought a bike with cruise control I'd use it. But for a bike that doesn't have it – the GoCruise is my favorite for the increased functionality. A great ROI.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
A really interesting advantage of the Go Cruise is how easy it is to install, if you can even call it that, and remove. You can carry it in your pocket and attach it to nearly any bike in seconds as long as it can work with the grip without resorting to the silicone ring that comes with it.

Use it on rented bikes, borrowed bikes, demo rides, be a mensch and outfit a riding companion's bike... :)

Back on topic... while riding through my downtown yesterday after work I came upon a black 1300 that looked like my bike's twin. Black with a Slipstreamer windshield and highway blades. It was lacking a tailbox but had a Corbin one-piece heated seat and a Brake Away throttle lock. First time I'd seen one on a 1300. It looks impressively well made. A lot of intricate machine operations on those parts.

It was parked in motorcycle parking next to a blue FJR1300. When I returned from my errand the owners were arriving to their bikes and we talked for a bit. The ST owner, Matthew, had just bought it over the weekend from someone in a small town nearby; Monmouth, OR. It's a non-ABS '06 with 85k mi. I mentioned this site and urged him to join. Let's be on the lookout for him. :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A really interesting advantage of the Go Cruise is how easy it is to install, if you can even call it that, and remove. You can carry it in your pocket and attach it to nearly any bike in seconds as long as it can work with the grip without resorting to the silicone ring that comes with it.

Use it on rented bikes, borrowed bikes, demo rides, be a mensch and outfit a riding companion's bike... :)

Back on topic... while riding through my downtown yesterday after work I came upon a black 1300 that looked like my bike's twin. Black with a Slipstreamer windshield and highway blades. It was lacking a tailbox but had a Corbin one-piece heated seat and a Brake Away throttle lock. First time I'd seen one on a 1300. It looks impressively well made. A lot of intricate machine operations on those parts.

It was parked in motorcycle parking next to a blue FJR1300. When I returned from my errand the owners were arriving to their bikes and we talked for a bit. The ST owner, Matthew, had just bought it over the weekend from someone in a small town nearby; Monmouth, OR. It's a non-ABS '06 with 85k mi. I mentioned this site and urged him to join. Let's be on the lookout for him. :)
I was up in the mountains several years ago with friends and I was on the NC700X. One wanted to ride my DCT bike so I popped the Go Cruise off because it was sort of in the way for his larger hand. In doing so the GC broke in two pieces. It was clean break at the pointy end, right at the acute angle bend. The thing had been on two bikes for several years and I guess the plastic had become brittle. I didn't really look forward to a 500 mile ride home without help on the throttle so back at the hotel I got to looking at the pieces and how to maybe repair it. The NC700X's catalytic converter is mounted right off the engine and has a flat surface about 1/2" square that is easy to get to. I let the bike idle about 10 minutes to heat up the catalytic converter real hot then took each piece and held it against the cat until the plastic started to melt. I pulled the pieces away and touched them together to fuse it back into one piece. I eyeballed the angle each made to the other and amazingly the thing fit back on and worked like it never happened. I kept that GC on the bike at least another year before selling it and the bike went to the new owner with the GC attached. Not only are they functional but also repairable in the field. Intricate machine parts not so much.

Top Bottom